Alright, I was playing on the High E string, and being on the 19nth fret I believe, then it made a big clank noise, and got completely out of tune.

After tuning it up again it happened again, this time even worse, then I tried to tune it and the string broke.

Does anybody know what just happened?
this has happened to me before, still don't understand it
Gear

Guitars - Fender Deluxe Player Strat, Squier Affinity Strat, Ibanez TCM - 50

Amps - Fender Blues Deluxe

Effects - Boss ME-50

Other - Banjo

Jazz Is not music, Its a way of life
Quote by Colgate Total
Check your saddles, and your tuning peg. Could be many things though. Maybe your nut.

Its just that Ive never had this problem before, thats why I freaked out. Plus Ive never really had to adjust anything, so any suggestions are welcome.
hiii If that happened to me i'd freak out xD i'd just go to a music store and ask 4 help. dont mess up by triyng to repair and making it worse... (yea...broke my hag that way..)
I had that happen before, right after i put on my strings, it did that for a minute or two. It's because when i did it, i overlapped the strings all crazy and crossed, and when the tension got stronger, and i started playing, it popped the string out of place on the tuning peg... but it never broke...

How much of the string are you putting on the peg?
O O

___
Quote by Stillicide
Alright, I was playing on the High E string, and being on the 19nth fret I believe, then it made a big clank noise, and got completely out of tune.

After tuning it up again it happened again, this time even worse, then I tried to tune it and the string broke.

Does anybody know what just happened?

Reminds me of when my nut was fcked up.

Everytimes I used my whammy bar i heard a tching or duno from the nut and 23 of my strings were always detuning.
Quote by TheBax
I had that happen before, right after i put on my strings, it did that for a minute or two. It's because when i did it, i overlapped the strings all crazy and crossed, and when the tension got stronger, and i started playing, it popped the string out of place on the tuning peg... but it never broke...

How much of the string are you putting on the peg?

Well I usually pull the string tight through the peg before winding it, I dont give much slack to it.

But its always worked before. Im gonna' have to buy more strings and try again and see what happens.
Quote by Stillicide
Well I usually pull the string tight through the peg before winding it, I dont give much slack to it.

But its always worked before. Im gonna' have to buy more strings and try again and see what happens.

???

How does it stay in the peg? You're supposed to be able to wind it around two or three times...
Quote by -Blue-
???

How does it stay in the peg? You're supposed to be able to wind it around two or three times...

What? It still winds I just dont give it much slack, as in theres alot of tension before winding it.
Yeah, i do that too, but one time i put too much string on there, and it was all crazy going up and down the peg, and when i would play, the vibration would move it and it would, i guess, like, pop over the other winds.
O O

___
Well Im still trying to figure out what happened. For now Im just hoping it doesnt happen to my other guitar.
what kind of guitar? sometimes My strat will do that if i change the strings and the ball gets hung up in the block - it will go into place and make a noise and be all loose
Quote by SenorSmiley
what kind of guitar? sometimes My strat will do that if i change the strings and the ball gets hung up in the block - it will go into place and make a noise and be all loose

Its a Les Paul :/
happens to me
i have no idea what it is either
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.