Hey UG, this is my first post, hopefully I won't make an ass of myself

I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and recently come into some cash, so I wanna buy some new gear.

1) Amp- I play mostly classic and hard rock, with some blues. Things like Zeppelin, AC/DC, Clapton, GNR, etc...
What tube amps would you guys suggest for that? Probably looking at "British Sounding" I was thinking either the Laney VC15/30 or a Peavey Classic 30.. (would that be described as low to mid gain, I'm not really sure?)

2) Distortion/Overdrive- Sometimes I like to take things over the top, so I also need a good effects pedal. Tubescreamer maybe? I'm not sure if I need overdrive, or a distortion pedal, like the Big Muff. Suggestions?

Thank you

EDIT: Ah, balls- I play a strat with Lace Sensors, if it matters to you all
Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Jul 24, 2008,
laney VC series would be awesome for classic rock

id reccomend getting that first and deciding later whether or not you feel the need for more gain.

and congratulations on making your first post WITHOUT making an ass out of yourself
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by jeowy
laney VC series would be awesome for classic rock

id reccomend getting that first and deciding later whether or not you feel the need for more gain.

and congratulations on making your first post WITHOUT making an ass out of yourself

That's what I was thinking

and thanks
How much do you want to spend?

Most of the time if you get a good amp with a nice distortion/gain channel you won't need a distortion pedal as such. A lot of amps have beautiful sounding distortion that a pedal simply can't match (Mesa, Orange, Laney...countless others). An overdrive pedal can push this channel even further making it sing, scream, or just sound plain uber depending on the setup.

Some amps have distortion/gain channels that aren't that great for the type of music you seem to like playing (Fender HRD for example), so a distortion pedal is the better option there.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Quote by StriferDiem
How much do you want to spend?

Most of the time if you get a good amp with a nice distortion/gain channel you won't need a distortion pedal as such. A lot of amps have beautiful sounding distortion that a pedal simply can't match (Mesa, Orange, Laney...countless others). An overdrive pedal can push this channel even further making it sing, scream, or just sound plain uber depending on the setup.

Some amps have distortion/gain channels that aren't that great for the type of music you seem to like playing (Fender HRD for example), so a distortion pedal is the better option there.

Well.. I don't really wanna go over $1000 for the amp, and pedals, those don't really matter, I'm getting into building them from BYOC and such places, so I was thinking modding a tubescreamer circuit.
I was really looking at Orange to, but I want a combo for sure (forgot to mention that), and they're crazy priced.

EDIT: The bolded bit- that's what I meant to say, I didn't type it as well as it was in my head
I want a beautiful natural drive, that I can just totally explode with using a pedal, if necessary.
This for the bedroom, gigs, or somewhere in between? And is that $1000 US, or some other currency?

Best British sounding, gig-worthy amps in your price range (US) would probably be the Traynor YCV 50 and the Peavey Delta Blues 115. Get yourself a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde to put between your guitar and amp, and you'll be excellent position to go over the top whenever you need to.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
This for the bedroom, gigs, or somewhere in between? And is that $1000 US, or some other currency?

Best British sounding, gig-worthy amps in your price range (US) would probably be the Traynor YCV 50 and the Peavey Delta Blues 115. Get yourself a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde to put between your guitar and amp, and you'll be excellent position to go over the top whenever you need to.

Kinda all 3, I get around a bit (That's one reason I was looking at the VC30, you can take out 2 tubes, and turn it into a 15 watt for bedroom practice, I dunno if that works for other amps), and it's 1000 US
Laney is way overpriced in the US, you're much better off looking for a used Vox AC30, or one of the amps I already mentioned.

15W is not that much quieter than 30W, so don't even bother getting into the tube-pulling thing. Just get an amp you like with a decent master volume circuit (like the AC30) and enjoy.

Depending on how important cleans aren't to you, the Orange Tiny Terror with a 1 or 2x12 might be a nice option, too.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Laney is way overpriced in the US, you're much better off looking for a used Vox AC30, or one of the amps I already mentioned.

15W is not that much quieter than 30W, so don't even bother getting into the tube-pulling thing. Just get an amp you like with a decent master volume circuit (like the AC30) and enjoy.

Depending on how important cleans aren't to you, the Orange Tiny Terror with a 1 or 2x12 might be a nice option, too.

Yeah, I'm actually making a little list right now
I'm gonna be heading off to about 3 different music stores around town to try all the ones you guys suggested.

And as long as we're on the topic, I have a load of family in the UK, and can get a Laney for 200-350 less than what they'd be here. Do you think it would be worth it to get them to order it, and UPS or something over here, or is that taking a horribly stupid, and risky move?
Quote by Stratoblaster73
Do you think it would be worth it to get them to order it, and UPS or something over here, or is that taking a horribly stupid, and risky move?

I still wouldn't, if only because of the fact that you still have to plug it into a US wall socket. And while I think Laney makes a nice product, I don't think it's any better than the Peavey, and I like the Traynor more. Just ask your UK relatives what they pay for a Traynor over there. It's us in the US getting the gear deals. The over-the-pond missions generally go from the US to Europe, not the other way around.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I still wouldn't, if only because of the fact that you still have to plug it into a US wall socket. And while I think Laney makes a nice product, I don't think it's any better than the Peavey, and I like the Traynor more. Just ask your UK relatives what they pay for a Traynor over there. It's us in the US getting the gear deals. The over-the-pond missions generally go from the US to Europe, not the other way around.

Lol, well, you can see how much I know

Thanks for the help, I had my eye on the Traynor as well, so I'll be checking that out for sure.
I was thinking a Traynor 50 Blue, with speaker changes to Celestion G12H's or possible an Eminence, and tube changes to Tung Sols-JJ's.

What do you guys think?
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

If I were in your situation with your budget, I'd look at an amp that could do what I needed it to do, along with the capability to do much more as I progressed and experimented with other styles.

If you're willing to stretch the budget a touch to include something like an Avatar cab, I'd be looking at the Traynor YCS100H. The second channel covers classic rock tones like a champ, while the first and third channels cover everything from squeaky cleans to over-the-top gain. It has a 30 watt mode, a DI out, a headphone jack, a switchable effects loop, and an assortment of other features to boot.

Amps like the Classic 30 and the YCV50BLUE have a lot of respect in my book and are certainly fantastic. They're not "one trick ponies" by any means, but they are much more limited in their tonal capabilities than some other offerings. Just thought I'd throw that out on the table for you to consider.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM