so true...
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
am i the only one who thinks metallica didnt sell out? they didnt sell out! There music matured! You cant stick to the RTL and MOP formula forever. it gets old really fast. dont get me wrong I like that stuff but damn people be open about music! Be thankful there still making music.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by SoftParade1967
am i the only one who thinks metallica didnt sell out? they didnt sell out! There music matured! You cant stick to the RTL and MOP formula forever. it gets old really fast. dont get me wrong I like that stuff but damn people be open about music! Be thankful there still making music.

Yes, you are.

Read the article.

But than I would meet the odd musically challenged clown who yapping about how Metallica have actually grown as a band the 90’s onwards and how the have become mature musicians. What a load of crap. Even, a peace-loving person like me cannot restrain from feeling the urge to smack some sense into these fools.
Quote by SoftParade1967

i dont think that you're wrong. in the beginning METALLICA said that they will always do what they want. They were called sell outs for making the video to "one" making the Black Album in '91, cutting their hair in the Load era on top of doing more "bluesy" material and the whole napster ordeal.

Just because people dont like what they do they're looked down upon.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Want to make money as a musician? Corrected*** Want to BE a musician and make a career of it? Every musician "sells out." All of your art and music is property of the label that signs you. You are nothing to them but a source of income. All bands sellout, some just more noticeably than others. That's the truth of it all.

[EDIT] I would like to add that's why so many bands who want to do their own thing have legal struggles with labels because they don't want to simply sell out for their music, but rather keep making music as righteously as possible.
Quote by SoftParade1967

thankfull they're making music?

i can listen to an amazing song like One, but deep down inside of me, i know these are the people that made the appitance that is st. anger, and this sickens me to the pit of my stomach, skip track please
Quote by neatthisisme
Want to make money as a musician? Corrected*** Want to BE a musician and make a career of it? Every musician "sells out." All of your art and music is property of the label that signs you. You are nothing to them but a source of income. All bands sellout, some just more noticeably than others. That's the truth of it all.

[EDIT] I would like to add that's why so many bands who want to do their own thing have legal struggles with labels because they don't want to simply sell out for their music, but rather keep making music as righteously as possible.

Bull****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selling_out

Learn what the word means.
I don't believe in bands selling out.

Like a band (I hate) said

"We don't sell out, the reason we get endorsements, do adverts is because we need to eat. You can't make a career out of just selling CD's these days."

I think it was Gallows that said something along those lines.. Probably because no one buys their albums (Dont hurt me)
"Sell out is a word"

EDIT: Find the grammatical error.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Last edited by andrew12398 at Jul 24, 2008,
Quote by herman ri2
Bull****.

you just proved that other guy right. all musicians can be considered sell outs. look at guitars, you wont find a musician who hasn't thought about putting their own version of a guitar out there in hopes of people buying it. according to the article you produced, thats true.

dimebag's guitars, slash's pedals, mustaine's guitars, hammett's guitars, etc... how would they all not be considered sell outs?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Quote by herman ri2
Bull****.

You don't think at some point a musicians integrity falls due to the yearning for success? Listen to the Tool song "Hooker with a penis" and Maynard explains very poignantly that to making a living on music is technically selling out, I don't care what additives you put to the phrase. Even by selling out a little, so little that no on calls that musician a sell out, they are far better off money-wise and are allowed more assumed freedom with which to spend their lives.

[EDIT] Thanks for the wikipedia link as the absolute definition of the phrase sell out, too. Because, you know, something so interpretive as the phrase sell out should be left to ANYONE who can come up with an opinion - ie - wikipedia.
Last edited by neatthisisme at Jul 24, 2008,
That article is a load of bull****, people need to eat, and the whole Metallica thing is absolute immature 17 year old bull****, honestly if you did the exact same **** for 7 or 8 years, you'd get ****ing sick of it too and your fans would get sick of it too.
Quote by joshua029
you just proved that other guy right. all musicians can be considered sell outs. look at guitars, you wont find a musician who hasn't thought about putting their own version of a guitar out there in hopes of people buying it. according to the article you produced, thats true.

dimebag's guitars, slash's pedals, mustaine's guitars, hammett's guitars, etc... how would they all not be considered sell outs?

Don't forget Zakk Wylde's MG

Quote by Eric 666
That article is a load of bull****, people need to eat, and the whole Metallica thing is absolute immature 17 year old bull****, honestly if you did the exact same **** for 7 or 8 years, you'd get ****ing sick of it too and your fans would get sick of it too.

I'm 17 and I don't believe that.. Must mean I'm special somewhat

I actually didn't go off Metallica from the release of St Anger either. Watch the "Some Kind of Monster" DVD and instantly it seems better for some reason
tired of these sell out threads so whenever i see these threads from now on i will just post this
Well, I know you can't work in fast food all your life
But don't sign that paper tonight, she said, but it's too late.
I don't remember what I read, I don't remember what they said,
I guess it doesn't matter, I guess it doesn't matter anymore
'Cause you're gonna go to the record store
You're gonna give'em all your money
Radio plays what they want you to hear
They tell me it's cool but I just don't believe it...
Sell out, with me oh yea, sell out, with me tonight
Record company's gonna give me lots of money
And everything's gonna be all right
No more flippin' burgers puttin' on my silly hat
You know I don't want that no more,
I didn't ask when we'd get paid,
I quit my day job anyway,
You're gonna go to the record store,
You're gonna give'em all your money,
Radio plays what they want you to hear,
They tell me it's cool, but i just don't believe it
Sell out, with me oh yea,
Sell out with me tonight,
The record company's gonna give me lots of money
And everything's gonna be
I don't think it'll be so bad
And I know it won't be so bad
'Cause the man said "that's the way it is"
And the man said "it don't get better than this" no no no
So I signed on to the record company,
They say they're gonna give me lot's of money
If i play what they want you to hear
They tell me it's cool, and I sure believe it...
Dick+strings= owww
What a load of bollocks. Who are you to tell people what they can and can't do with music?

Idiots. Get over yourselves.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
What a load of bollocks. Who are you to tell people what they can and can't do with music?

Agreed.
Quote by Kensai

beliefs that was directed toward the article's author...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Quote by rasveer
tired of these sell out threads so whenever i see these threads from now on i will just post this
Well, I know you can't work in fast food all your life
But don't sign that paper tonight, she said, but it's too late.
I don't remember what I read, I don't remember what they said,
'Cause you're gonna go to the record store
You're gonna give'em all your money
Radio plays what they want you to hear
They tell me it's cool but I just don't believe it...
Sell out, with me oh yea, sell out, with me tonight
Record company's gonna give me lots of money
And everything's gonna be all right
No more flippin' burgers puttin' on my silly hat
You know I don't want that no more,
I didn't ask when we'd get paid,
I quit my day job anyway,
You're gonna go to the record store,
You're gonna give'em all your money,
Radio plays what they want you to hear,
They tell me it's cool, but i just don't believe it
Sell out, with me oh yea,
Sell out with me tonight,
The record company's gonna give me lots of money
And everything's gonna be
I don't think it'll be so bad
And I know it won't be so bad
'Cause the man said "that's the way it is"
And the man said "it don't get better than this" no no no
So I signed on to the record company,
They say they're gonna give me lot's of money
If i play what they want you to hear
They tell me it's cool, and I sure believe it...

Is this a song?
Quote by herman ri2
Yes, you are.

Read the article.

This is the third time i've come across you in one way or another bashing Metallica for some reason in the Pit. Seriously man. you just need to grow up. The simple fact of the matter is that they are doing this to make a living. I don't care who you are, if you are working so hard as a musician that you eventually are putting out records. You are doing it for many things, but one of those is money. Just because you make money and success out of your music, doesn't mean you should get looked down upon because of it.

You can spout on and on about how you are just in it for the music and that money distorts it all, blah blah blah. You can still care alot about the music and want money from it as well.

They are talented musicians and people see fit to gripe about the fact that they make money. They changed there style a few times, they experimented with different things. And the only reason people like you get pissed off, is because people still followed them and they still continued to gain success over it.

Like Lars says when asked about selling out "Hell yeah we sell out....every f***ing arena!"

Dont be angry or jealous. Because it just makes you look like an idiot.

Oh and judging by the fact that you are a Herman Li fan, your right to give out substantial opinions on music is VOID! THe guy may be talented after thirty takes of te same song in the studio. Not to mention that its basically the same song played over and over again, but the fact that he is one of the worst live performers defiantly places him under Hetfield, whose live performance is almost flawless in every way.

/rant
Quote by METALLICAFAN77
This is the third time i've come across you in one way or another bashing Metallica for some reason in the Pit. Seriously man. you just need to grow up. The simple fact of the matter is that they are doing this to make a living. I don't care who you are, if you are working so hard as a musician that you eventually are putting out records. You are doing it for many things, but one of those is money. Just because you make money and success out of your music, doesn't mean you should get looked down upon because of it.

You can spout on and on about how you are just in it for the music and that money distorts it all, blah blah blah. You can still care alot about the music and want money from it as well.

They are talented musicians and people see fit to gripe about the fact that they make money. They changed there style a few times, they experimented with different things. And the only reason people like you get pissed off, is because people still followed them and they still continued to gain success over it.

Like Lars says when asked about selling out "Hell yeah we sell out....every f***ing arena!"

Oh and judging by the fact that you are a Herman Li fan, your right to give out substantial opinions on music is VOID! THe guy may be talented after thirty takes of te same song in the studio. Not to mention that its basically the same song played over and over again, but the fact that he is one of the worst live performers defiantly places him under Hetfield, whose live performance is almost flawless in every way.

/rant

You were doing so well until the Herman Li bit
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Last edited by Friendly Stoat at Jul 24, 2008,
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Ya, because that article is all facts...

its the interwebz, of course its fact!!!
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
Quote by METALLICAFAN77

/rant

you should change your name to METALLICAFAN BOY 77
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
Quote by METALLICAFAN77

/rant

Most of that post was pure idiocy. Have someone else try it for you.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by herman ri2
Is this a song?

Yes It is Sell Out by Reel Big Fish which is what i thought this thread was about at first haha go RBF!!!
Quote by Friendly Stoat
You were doing so well until the Herman Li bit

Sorry man. Ill give him the fact that he's fast, but that's it. If you've seen any live Dragonforce, they can hardly play any of there own stuff. And most of there songs are VERY alike.

Normally i wouldn't pick at that, because occasionally, i do listen to Dragonforce, but the fact that he is dissing Metallica and putting Herman Li in a higher position warrants it.

Herman Li is speed. Nothing much else.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
you should change your name to METALLICAFAN BOY 77

Thank you for your obviously well thought out and detailed comeback. But yes, I will be the first to admit that i am a huge Metallica fan. I'm not defending all of there choices, but the fact that people are constantly nagging and whining about them selling out is very annoying.

So thanks for your input, maybe you'll want to try and expound on your own personal opinion rather then spamming?

Quote by andrew12398
Most of that post was pure idiocy. Have someone else try it for you.

same as the other guy. Maybe you'd like to offer up your own opinion on the matter?

Obviously its going to be the same idiocy we've heard thousands of times over about them selling out, they are only in it for the money, they are untalented.

I'd be happy to reiterate my strong belief as to why each of these are wrong. But until then, I'd just keep the unintelligent insults to myself.

As far as my name goes, it was a quick decision based on the fact that i like Metallica and my favorite number is 77. Its not like my entire life circles around them. But I'll defend my opinion about them. Especially about this frequent and frustrating subject.
Last edited by METALLICAFAN77 at Jul 24, 2008,
I don't think metallica sold out in the 90's, i think they sold out when st. anger hit. That's when all the napster sh*t happened. I really like load and reload, and I though at that point that they were just trying something different and they made good music. But once I heard some of the songs on st. anger I knew they were done. That music was so generic.

just my two and a half cents
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
tl;dr.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by herman ri2
Yes, you are.

Read the article.

i did man. and it clearly mentioned that metallica sold out. So im just stating my opinion.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by METALLICAFAN77
Sorry man. Ill give him the fact that he's fast, but that's it. If you've seen any live Dragonforce, they can hardly play any of there own stuff. And most of there songs are VERY alike.

Normally i wouldn't pick at that, because occasionally, i do listen to Dragonforce, but the fact that he is dissing Metallica and putting Herman Li in a higher position warrants it.

Herman Li is speed. Nothing much else.

That's fair enough I guess. I thought they were pretty good live
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by shredmeiser101
I don't think metallica sold out in the 90's, i think they sold out when st. anger hit. That's when all the napster sh*t happened. I really like load and reload, and I though at that point that they were just trying something different and they made good music. But once I heard some of the songs on st. anger I knew they were done. That music was so generic.

just my two and a half cents

they had alot of anger to get out so yeah they went generic. But i liked a few songs off st anger. But eh whatever hopefully this album will be better than st anger.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
i don't like metallica because of the simple fact of they sold out for money

people who say they were making a living BULL**** i am sure they are all quite well off after MOP and RTL

u can't defend them because they sailed there fans down the river to make even more money insted of just making good music
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by Shayne777
i don't like metallica because of the simple fact of they sold out for money

people who say they were making a living BULL**** i am sure they are all quite well off after MOP and RTL

u can't defend them because they sailed there fans down the river to make even more money insted of just making good music

Okay, Just because you make a ton of money doesn't mean you stop doing it. However well off they may have been they didn't just say "Okay we made money, we're done" Your argument is has no true background to it. I'm sure you are referring to the Napster ordeal when you say they sold there fans down.

True, that was not handled the best way it could have been and yes it was a douchy move on their part. But it doesn't change the fact that piracy annoys music-makers. Quite whining about it and just go buy the freaking album for gods sake. Metallica made a huge mistake with the Nasper thing, but thats over now, they are STILL making music, they are STILL making money, and people will STILL pirate there songs. nobody was right in that situation.
Quote by joshua029
i dont think that you're wrong. in the beginning METALLICA said that they will always do what they want. They were called sell outs for making the video to "one" making the Black Album in '91, cutting their hair in the Load era on top of doing more "bluesy" material and the whole napster ordeal.

Just because people dont like what they do they're looked down upon.

imo they are sell outs because they changed from being an anti glam thrash metal band to some eyeliner band, completely ignoring their fan base changing their music drastically. And they haven't really changed since, I mean they haven't released anything thrasy to show that they still are metallica.

Also being sell out = over merchandising their band, look at their new cd, comes with USB key, and all kinds of stuff. I mean cmon, it's just a cd! dammit. They are trying to milk hungry fans of every dime they have.

I call that selling out.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by METALLICAFAN77
Could be, I'm just basing it off of what i have seen and heard.

They are generally pretty damn good live. A few bad performances (most notoriously the Grasspop gig) made their way onto youtube, and people who dislike the band jump on the opportunity.

Otherwise, their performances are generally pretty good. The sheer complexity and speed of the music means that if they are having an off day, they get punished for it.

However, they are doing something different to the norm, which is fun to listen to every so often, which I respect. They don't take what they do seriously. They started it because they enjoyed it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1