I'm getting back into guitar after taking roughly a 2 year break. Selling my World of Warcraft account (thank god, that game was worse then crack) for about $700 and got some cash lying around in my bank.

I really like the Rhoad's style V's, but the actual 'good' ones price tags will leave a large gaping crater in my pocket.

I'm leaning towards the LTD Alexi-600, around $1100-1200CAN. I really love the shape of these guitars because after playing one, sitting down at my local shop, I just love the angle of the neck compared to playing a strat(ish) shaped guitar sitting down.

If anyone here can recommend a V (most preferably Rhoads style) with a floating trem (no LFR's please, something decent or an OFR). Something with access to the upper frets easily (24 frets, though I don't mind 22) with a neck through. Alder/Mahogany body, although most preferably Alder, the body type doesn't matter to me. Last but not least, amazing (low) action.

I'm also looking at the
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Razorback-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=511851
and wondering if its any good? I can't tell if its an LFR or an OFR.

Any recommendations are highly appreciated. Also, please stay within a price range of 1200 or less.
Last edited by bchoun at Jul 24, 2008,
Schecter V-1 Hellraiser FR
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
yo i feel you on that wow thing i quit playing guitar and played that retarded game for 2yrs myself. Stupidest decision ive ever made. Anyways im looking for a new guitar much like yourself right now i tried out the dean razorback v at my local guitar center and i loved them neck is super comfortable and plays great but id say shop around for a nice price if ur gonna get one why pay 1g for a lfr. i havent played the v-1 but i have played a c-1 hellraiser and i wasnt really a fan of the feel, the neck didnt feel right in my hands sounded great though, and as far as the rr v's go they just feel to small to me, im pretty big though. You should check out this though. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-NJ-Deluxe-Jr.-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=516096 im gonna try that out when i get a chance, anyone have experience with that yet, hows it play
holy crap.. you sold a game account for $700!?!?! WTF!!
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by bigjoe714
yo i feel you on that wow thing i quit playing guitar and played that retarded game for 2yrs myself. Stupidest decision ive ever made. Anyways im looking for a new guitar much like yourself right now i tried out the dean razorback v at my local guitar center and i loved them neck is super comfortable and plays great but id say shop around for a nice price if ur gonna get one why pay 1g for a lfr. i havent played the v-1 but i have played a c-1 hellraiser and i wasnt really a fan of the feel, the neck didnt feel right in my hands sounded great though, and as far as the rr v's go they just feel to small to me, im pretty big though. You should check out this though. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-NJ-Deluxe-Jr.-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=516096 im gonna try that out when i get a chance, anyone have experience with that yet, hows it play

Yeah, the game in general just put a big hole in my life.

Anyways... thanks for showing me that guitar. BC Rich has always had a bad rep when it came to mass production guitars, but this guitar looks excellent and has a very nice price tag. I'm a rather small person, so I love the shape and feel of the V's.

holy crap.. you sold a game account for $700!?!?! WTF!!

I was just as surprised as you were.
Take a look at an RR5FR or RR24, meets pretty much all of the specs you asked for and it shouldn't cost more than $1,100 if you can get a good deal on one from a local dealer.
Quote by AsShadowsRemain
Take a look at an RR5FR or RR24, meets pretty much all of the specs you asked for and it shouldn't cost more than $1,100 if you can get a good deal on one from a local dealer.

Our local dealer doesn't deal with Jackson's, which sucks.

There's another one, Long and Mcquade but they always seem to overprice everything they get.
Just so you know, the Alexi models found in the USA are not an actual RR shape.

Jackson copyright prevents that. It's more between an RR and a King V.
Quote by Delanoir
Just so you know, the Alexi models found in the USA are not an actual RR shape.

Jackson copyright prevents that. It's more between an RR and a King V.

I know that, but shape =/= shape. They're still both familiar.
Quote by bchoun
I'm looking for something with a neck-through, OFR and a jack input that won't get in the way when I'm playing sitting down.

RR5FR or an RR1. used you can get them for like 1000-1300 USD. RR5FR just came out so it will be pretty expensive. they dont get in the way when sitting unless you're severely obese and your thigh diameter is about 25 inches. and with those specs expect to pay 1000+ USD. you can buy RR5 with no FR for about 800 bucks easily. and why play sitting that's a horrible way to practice.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
if you like the LTD Alexi-600 try the Jackson RR24 as well
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
I truly hate those carvin v's. Im sure they play like a dream, i just dont understand where they are going with the upside down rhoads deal.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by apak
and why play sitting that's a horrible way to practice.

[1] Its easier
[2] Its much more comfortable for hours on end of playing
[3] Even when I stand, I solo Alexi style, which is pretty much almost the same as sitting down.

I'm looking to buy online from a website (most preferably ZZsounds or Musiciansfriend), brand new so that its blemishes are from years of my own great memories.

The Jackson's that everyone keeps recommending me (RR1 keeps popping up) are going for $2000 online, which is way over my limit. The RR24 seems pretty good though, getting a little pricey but its either that or the LTD Alexi-600 at the moment.
Last edited by bchoun at Jul 25, 2008,

you sold a WoW account for $700?

holy s**t thats amazing. I'd play it JUST to do that, and I HATE WoW.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Counting all the time spent playing and gametime costs I doubt you'd make much of a profit. He probably wasted a good year on the thing to get that much money out of it^^
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by apak
why play sitting that's a horrible way to practice.

That seriously is a load of tosh. It may look cool standing up, but it makes it harder to practise guitar. Especially if you are starting out or picking guitar up again.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by lokster
Counting all the time spent playing and gametime costs I doubt you'd make much of a profit. He probably wasted a good year on the thing to get that much money out of it^^

Around 2 years of on/off playing, 20 months x $15/mo. = $300. 1 transfer character = $25 + 2 seasons of an Arena Tournament = $40. $300+25+40 = $365 dollars.

Also thanks for mentioning the Demmel King V, that thing looks beastly and orgasmic at the same time. Blows any Rhoads shaped V out of the water IMO.
Quote by dcdossett65
I truly hate those carvin v's. Im sure they play like a dream, i just dont understand where they are going with the upside down rhoads deal.

Well IMO the bodies aren't much different than the rhoads, just flipped. At least with them you can get an OFR and any other features you want. Just my opinion.
I call bs. I seen kids with 4 70 3 t-6 8/8 and not able to sell it for that much because TBC is going to be out soon enough. Hes trolling you guys.
Quote by RichieKotzen
I call bs. I seen kids with 4 70 3 t-6 8/8 and not able to sell it for that much because TBC is going to be out soon enough. Hes trolling you guys.

Because those idiots sell it to websites that's designed specifically for selling MMO accounts. They buy it for cheap and they fall for it. Sold mine locally for $700
Quote by necroscience13

Thanks for just listing probably the worst guitars available with an OFR. I've heard horrendous things about BC Rich in general, the NJ Jr. V isn't bad, but I heard so much negative about the paint job.
Last edited by bchoun at Jul 25, 2008,
he's not lying, my friend sold his wow account locally for 600, he was at the max, i think he said lvl70, i dont know wtf it it, i hate wow, im more of a couterstrike player, but i have to give that **** up also, its like crack, and im getting lazy on practicing and it really is absorbing me hard. But one of my friends has a jackson RR V, its the MIJ model, sorta like the one the first response had, and its really sweet, theres like no problem with upper fret access, and its not that bad to play with while sitting down, because of the shape, i personally hate v's for that, but the RR model has the unequal cut which makes it much easier to handle.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by bchoun
Because those idiots sell it to websites that's designed specifically for selling MMO accounts. They buy it for cheap and they fall for it. Sold mine locally for $700

Thanks for just listing probably the worst guitars available with an OFR. I've heard horrendous things about BC Rich in general, the NJ Jr. V isn't bad, but I heard so much negative about the paint job.

what about the nj jr v is bad? that guitar is my best option yet spec -wise, and im at a loss if it turns out to be crap.
Quote by Firewind Raging
Take a look at this, the Jackson Demmelition V. It seems to fit your desired specs nicely, and it looks awesome.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2913060541

i can see the demmolition v being discountinued cause it looks similar to the razor back v i would go for an ibanez v but theyre hard to find
Quote by bchoun

id try one before talking **** then
Check out an Agile Reaper, and replace the trem with an OFR. Together it shouldn't come up to more than $800.

OR

You could check out the Jackson RR5FR which is basically the RR5 with a trem. Either one will be great.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG