I brought a peavey classic 30 for my birthday. I tried the one in store which sounded really nice but the new one I brought home does not sound the same in terms of warmth. Does the amp(speaker or valves) need to wear in?
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
Aria 12-String Acoustic Guitar
Can anyone help cause i'll be pissed if I have to change the valves or buy a new speaker.
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
yeah i had that problem too. from what ive heard ya kinda need to break tube amps in a little. thats just what ive heard idk.
amps sound different in different rooms. you just have to adjust your eq to the room you're in.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Thanks cause my dad was kinda pissed that I conned him into buying a Classic 30 (I paid about £140) when he thought he was going to buy me a VK112. He would go mental if I said I needed to spend more money on modding it.
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
Quote by AJS19
yeah i had that problem too. from what I've heard ya kinda need to break tube amps in a little. That's just what I've heard idk.

You're a retard. Don't start talking if you don't know what you're saying.

To TS: Go to where you bought it and ask them to bias the tubes. Biasing is a personal option, but just ask them to give you a warmer tone.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

To TS: Go to where you bought it and ask them to bias the tubes. Biasing is a personal option, but just ask them to give you a warmer tone.

i was just trying to be helpful. and i said i had the same problem (with the same amp)
Lol AJS19 do you know how long it will take for the valves to wear-in?
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

It's a fixed bias amp. And name calling? Are you 3?
TS - Did you try the amp with your guitar at the store?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Tokai ALS-48
They don't need to. Manufacturers do it themselves.

And the C30 doesn't need biasing. It uses Cathode bias, so it can't be adjusted.

Speakers, however, need to break in. They sound toppy and too tight when they're new, so you'll need to play it a bit to wear that in and excite the cone, just get it moving. Play loud, clean chords for half an hour or something, get it as loud as you can.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Tokai ALS-48

well, if i remember right, after a couple weeks (2 maybe) of playing for about an hour a day or so, it sounded better then when i first had it.

EDIT: i dont know which component "wore in" but ^^^MrCarrot^^^ is most likely right
Last edited by AJS19 at Jul 24, 2008,
Gregs1020, I did not try it with my guitar but a Gibson Les Paul Standard (I have a Studio) but it should have the same warmth exept the pickups were different.
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
Speaker. Not the valves. It's the speaker breaking-in. Valves do not need breaking-in.
Sry my mistake.
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
Quote by MrCarrot
Speaker. Not the valves. It's the speaker breaking-in. Valves do not need breaking-in.

+1

TS demo amps are worn in by the time you get to them if you would play the amp and stop worrying about why its not the same.. You would have solved your own problem by now...
Well it is a different guitar so that may have something to do with it. Although the amp gives most of the tone the guitar does have some effect. The best way to test an amp is either with your guitar or the guitar you are planning to upgrade to next.
Mr. Carrot stole my post!
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I'm not sure if the two models have the same pickups but it's one possibility. I would also try different settings and such due to room size, height of ceiling etc... I have basically the same amp, Delta Blues, and it sounds great with my Ibanez LP copy. I wouldn't think you would want to change the tubes or speaker although the "Peavey Classic 30, the last amp you will ever own" thread guys do say it makes a big difference. But you shouldn't need that in order to get the tone you had at the store.
Breaking speakers in is fun - rock out!
Cool I got a TS-9 to help with that!
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
New speakers make a big difference. Tube changes are more subtle but it's noticable.
you do infact need to break it in takes a bit but it sounds sweet once it is