-------
------
------
---7---
---7---
---5---

Ive always wondered what you call these chords... a chord at all...so can like someone give me a hint here...just shed some light.
Power chord, or fifth chord.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Thats an A power chord, or an A5. ALL chord's names are based on the name of the note of the first note played (eg on a normal G chors, the 1st note is fret 3 on an E string, which is a G, and on an E, it is E open), same with power chords. Examples:
e------
B------
G------
D2222 = E5
A2222
E0000

e------
B------
G------
D4444 =F#5
A4444
E2222
Quote by Randaman
ALL chord's names are based on the name of the note of the first note played

No, the context largely determines the name regardless of the lowest note played.
Quote by :-D
No, the context largely determines the name regardless of the lowest note played.

+1

for example
e---
B---
G---
D--2
A--2
E--3

this could be an inversion of an Eminor or a G6
^That would be a stupid name.

Quote by Kutanmoogle
Diads.
That's misleading. Diad usually refers to two individual pitches, not three with one of the being an octave higher than another.
I disagree. I don't know what context you'd have to use it in to get that to be reasonable and realistic, but I don't see it as wrong as it still accurately describes the notes of the chord. I don't really feel like arguing right now though so I'm probably going to leave it at that.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^That would be a stupid name.

That's misleading. Diad usually refers to two individual pitches, not three with one of the being an octave higher than another.

You don't count octaves as separate pitches. It is a diad, it doesn't matter how many roots, octaves, and fifths you have, it will still be a diad as long as it doesn't have other intervals.
Quote by ocelott
this is the WRONG way to play an A chord...

What on Earth are you talking about? It's an A5, and it's not the wrong way to play anything.
Quote by Matheau
You don't count octaves as separate pitches. It is a diad, it doesn't matter how many roots, octaves, and fifths you have, it will still be a diad as long as it doesn't have other intervals.
Diad would generally refer to only two picthes being sounded. While multiple octaves of the notes don't violate "diadness," it is confusing on the guitar because diad almost always refers to two pitches.

And Shredwhatever, that chord is Em. Don't argue that with me.
Quote by :-D
What on Earth are you talking about? It's an A5, and it's not the wrong way to play anything.

i know what it is. i have a thing against these chords.
As mentioned before, that's a power chord. It's got the root, and the 5th. The extra note, is only an octave of the A, which still leaves the root and 5th, which is A and E.
lol why are you guys trying to re-invent the wheel. it's an A5. power chord. KISS rule.
Quote by ocelott

why ?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelott

why ?

+1

Did it heckle you at a gig or something?
Quote by bass guy 129
six hundred. sorry. im from maine and we dont talk no good none up hurr
Quote by bangoodcharlote
And Shredwhatever, that chord is Em. Don't argue that with me.

Don't be an arrogant twat. That could definitely also be called an B b6sus4, as it has a B, G (its b6th), and an E (its suspended 4th).
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Psychedelico
Don't be an arrogant twat. That could definitely also be called an B b6sus4, as it has a B, G (its b6th), and an E (its suspended 4th).

Be nice.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^^ I don't care. MT has had too many problems with name-calling lately and it needs to stop. Calling someone a twat doesn't solve anything when it comes to made-up chord names.

^+1
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Anywho, the second post answered the question. Hopefully a mod closes it or we can let it die.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by GuitarMunky
why ?

bc most rookies think that power chords are it. they limit themselves. i mean, what they do is their business... but i'm only trying to give good advice. like when my buddy totally ripped off the power chord page off my charts 2 years ago. it was the best advice i've gotten. he said "learn the right way first...and even later, stay away. learn real music." it took awhile before i understood.
Quote by ocelott
bc most rookies think that power chords are it. they limit themselves. i mean, what they do is their business... but i'm only trying to give good advice. like when my buddy totally ripped off the power chord page off my charts 2 years ago. it was the best advice i've gotten. he said "learn the right way first...and even later, stay away. learn real music." it took awhile before i understood.

1. You actually haven't given any advice in this thread.

2. Power chords are most certainly NOT the "wrong way".

3. You should not "stay away" from them.

4. Power chords are not less a part of "real music" than anything else.

5. I still don't get what you understood; none of that really makes sense to me.

Quote by Psychedelico
Don't be an arrogant twat.

That's completely uncalled for.
Quote by ocelott

ummm ok hehe

Id rather know one of the most commonly used types of chords than not know it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by theShred201
Yes, but he still could have been nicer about how he said it. We've been TRYING to get MT to be a bit nicer as a whole since for a while it was starting to get very disrespectful and mean. There are better ways to say what he said.

Quote by metal4all
^^ I don't care. MT has had too many problems with name-calling lately and it needs to stop. Calling someone a twat doesn't solve anything when it comes to made-up chord names.

^+1

This thread was answered in the second post.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??