What is a better deal...

A used Gibson SG Special $500

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104864006

Or a new Epiphone Explorer $500...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=518454

I will be playing Mostly Hardcore and alternative... I will use it for just about everything.
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

It came out like 2 weeks ago

We all saw it

We all pointed and laughed

We all secretly wished we could afford it
I used to have an Epiphone goth explorer and I loved playing it, so personally I'd go with the epiphone, from my experience of playing my past explorer and playing the SG Special. If only the explorer came in white! If you really want an SG I'd look for a [used?] Classic or Standard.

good luck!

EDIT: To the person above, not everyone has a Guitar Center or other store near them that carry new Gibsons and Epiphones.
Value for money, I'd go for the gibson. Playability, it's your call.
Quote by gorecore=me
is a bidet a type of crisp?
Guitar is only as good as the amp it's played on.

=)
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” -Winston Churchill
if it were my choice i`d have to go w/ the sg as long as it had a set neck the neck is in good shape.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Well all I have is $500. Both guitars are my only choice. One guitar is on the other side of the country. Guitar Center is 120 miles from me, so technically I need someone to help me from personal experience.
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

We all saw it

Quote by Jimmer1720

=)

Fender Fm212r. I love that amp...
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

We all saw it

You can get a used SG Faded for like $100 cheaper on your local Craigslist.

I always see a bunch of them around my area for like $400.

And it's up to you when it comes to picking guitars. I personally would go with an SG, but I wouldn't pick that one, but that's just me. Go for the explorer if you like the way it feels!
Well, seeing as your name is GibsonSG120, I would assume you'd go with the SG...

that's probably what I'd go with, but I hate the finish. Alpine White FTW!
I will more than likely never return to any thread I post in, so don't bother replying to me.
I'd go for the SG...

I don't know anything about Guitar Centres return/shipping/anything policies (Canadian)... But if you find yourself wanting a new guitar later, the SG will be easier to sell...

Used equipment is only bad if it is damaged... If it isn't damaged, then it is great.
commonly gibson guitars have hotter pups than epi's ... epi's are less expensive generally for a reason and that's one of them ... i would check on the sg's having a set neck as mentioned and also as mentioned what amp do you use? pedals? i'm guessing the gibson will be heavier if that makes a difference ... and you should be able to try out a comparable explorer at guitar center ... they have a pretty wide selection so you could really check out both there ...

i love epi's for their value ... but they are cheaper for a reason ... depending on your amp and pedals, it may not make a difference except for the feel of the different guitars

good luck
Quote by Mockingbird452
You can get a used SG Faded for like $100 cheaper on your local Craigslist.

I always see a bunch of them around my area for like $400.

And it's up to you when it comes to picking guitars. I personally would go with an SG, but I wouldn't pick that one, but that's just me. Go for the explorer if you like the way it feels!

My local craigslist is 120 miles from me. I live in a big state, yet there isn't a single Sg faded on my craigslist...

I am going to try to talk my mom in to letting my do monthly payments for a Gibson Explorer.
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

We all saw it

Quote by cormac_zoso
commonly gibson guitars have hotter pups than epi's ... epi's are less expensive generally for a reason and that's one of them ... i would check on the sg's having a set neck as mentioned and also as mentioned what amp do you use? pedals? i'm guessing the gibson will be heavier if that makes a difference ... and you should be able to try out a comparable explorer at guitar center ... they have a pretty wide selection so you could really check out both there ...

i love epi's for their value ... but they are cheaper for a reason ... depending on your amp and pedals, it may not make a difference except for the feel of the different guitars

good luck

I have a Fender Fm212r. I don't use pedals. I have been saving for a new guitar. Hence the Thread.
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

We all saw it

Gibson.

I have an SG Std and SG Classic - they're both really nice.

Also - you decide you don't like it in six months - what's going to get you your money back?
i would go with the sg. my gibson faded special feels great to play (a little neck heavy though) and can sound like anything from a strat to a lp. mine is really good quality too, and plays awesome. i would go low end gibson over high end epi anyday. but in the end, its all up to you. you can get used to playing pretty much any guitar you buy, so go with what you think is best.
Originally the SG was $425 with a case. It got sold, so now I have to buy something else. I'm Pissed.
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

We all saw it

You did?

Well I technically couldn't buy it. I am on vacation.
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

We all saw it

****ING USED!!! actually theyr'e completely different guitars but it's hard to go wrong with a gibson sg.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I say the Explorer, dince the Explorer is more of your genre of music....
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Used guitars are actually, more often than not, in pretty good condition, and much worth buying.

I would go for the Gibson, but, since its used, you should try it out first.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
There's a problem with that. I can't try out any guitars....

Guitar center is way far from where I live!!..

They only place I can try guitar's is pawn shop's.. I will try my luck there.
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

We all saw it

Craigslist?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
120 miles from me is.... CRAIGSLIST!... the closest is 120 miles.
Fender Frontman 212
Epiphone G-400!
Fender Strat MIM
Zoom G2

Quote by HighPotency
dude... search bar

We all saw it

id go for the sg more confortable to play when sitting =D
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by Felgate
can anyone tell me how i get a tone similar to what avril lavigne uses in skater boy please?
If you can do a setup there are usually no problems buying used if you ask the right questions.

The idea of a CNC mass produced guitar being that much different from one to the next is a little true and a huge amount of internet hype.
Quote by Jimmer1720

=)

... only as good as the fingers playing the guitar...
Thank you please.