I'm looking at either the Alesis Sr-16 or the Boss Dr Rhythm 3, simply because they're in my price range.

My question is, can either of these get good heavy drum sounds? Can you program them for grindcore, blast beats, double bass, death metal, etc? Will they sound at least good enough for demos in these styles?

Thanks.
I dont know about heavy drums type sounds however I tried the Alesis SR16 at one time in the store and thought it was a great machine for the price.

as always, the more you spend, the better sound you will get and IMO., Roland makes the better mid and high range models being that they build Roland v-Drums which sound great as well.

Some machines will have a MIDI out which you can use to trigger Session Drummer or other software.

I actually suggest software over a cheap piece of hardware when it comes to drums...
DFH and other products from Toontrack sound great and they do do heavy drums well.
I'ld say get EZ Drummer, BFD or Battery software and get a MIDI pad controller to play the samples.
For acoustic drums, BFD is the closest you can get to the sound of a full studio acoustic drum kit.
BFD is nice but I think Toontracks SD2.0 I coming very close to being as good, if not better than BFD.

I am trying to get a job just so I can save up money for Toontracks' SD2.0
It sounds amzing and is made for the e-drum kits which means easier setup.
Quote by moody07747
BFD is nice but I think Toontracks SD2.0 I coming very close to being as good, if not better than BFD.

I am trying to get a job just so I can save up money for Toontracks' SD2.0
It sounds amzing and is made for the e-drum kits which means easier setup.

They've even got the new BFD2 which is a step above BFD.
But yeah, i herd good things about SD2. Its "humanize" feature is pretty good i herd (i personally don't quite like the one on my Battery 3, though i won't complain much about it).

Though BFD2 does has a bigger sample library of 55gb (you'ld need a separate hard disk to just store all those samples!) as compared to SD2 which has 20gb (which is still huge!).
And then BFD2 is slightly more expensive too...
But SD2 should be easier to use than BFD. Well the DFH had a slightly simpler interface than BFD.

I prefer Battery, if i really needed acoustic drums, i'ld really just get a drummer and record them in the studio. I like the electronic sounds of Battery...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Jul 24, 2008,
I have a crap computer and I am poor. I won't be getting any software drum kits. I am asking about either the Alesis SR-16 or the Boss Dr Rhythm 3.

We just want something to make hardcore/screamo/grindcore demos, and we'll record the real songs with real drums later on.