I just came across a used 50W JCM900 Head. Now do you think it can play Modern Metal like Bodom, In Flames, A7X, Lamb Of God...etc....???

Because Its in pretty good shape, new tubes, and its a good deal. I still need to find a Cab then.
well, can you go try it out? if your planning on a 5150 like your sig says, i'd probably wait.
with a boost, it prolly can.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
With a boost, yes. It'll give you modern metal, with some British crunch. If you're into that sort of tone, go for it. Otherwise, if you want true American high-gain, shoot for that 5150.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
For In Flames and LoG, the 5150 will slay the Marshall

Purely OT, but I'm listening på My Sweet Shadow atm, and damn they've got a heavy sound out of those 5150's
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
^yup if you want stricly metal then get the peavey, but i would go with the 900 just cause all it needs is a good OD pedal, not a cheap one or a mediocre one like the stuff you find at GC but a really good one.
Quote by Tubyboulin
It's easier to move, too

No way, I'd rather carry a halfstack around than carry that combo. Thing is huge and is awkward as hell to carry, not to mention it weighs almost 100lbs by itself.

The 900s I've played actually had quite a bit of gain on them, enough to do modern metal? No. But enough to do Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc? Yes.

Honestly I like how the 900 sounds with a boost for metal better than the 5150 but that's just me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ClementWave
well, can you go try it out? if your planning on a 5150 like your sig says, i'd probably wait.

There was a 5150 for sale, the guy who was selling it hasnt responded to me though/
Quote by bjoern_swe
For In Flames and LoG, the 5150 will slay the Marshall

Purely OT, but I'm listening på My Sweet Shadow atm, and damn they've got a heavy sound out of those 5150's

I know, their tone is just amazing on that song.
I would go for the Marshall but thats just personal preference. I think they have a better distorted sound than a 5150
Don't get me wrong, I like combos, but if you think that you have to carry the whole thing. With the cabs on a stack you have wheels so you can just push it, then you only have to carry the head (unless you put it on top of the cab while you push it along LOL.
You only thing you need to be aware of is, although it's only 50W you still can't crank it up with p*^sing the neighbours off.

Regards
Delboy
Quote by Delboyuk_01
Don't get me wrong, I like combos, but if you think that you have to carry the whole thing. With the cabs on a stack you have wheels so you can just push it, then you only have to carry the head (unless you put it on top of the cab while you push it along LOL.
You only thing you need to be aware of is, although it's only 50W you still can't crank it up with p*^sing the neighbours off.

Regards
Delboy
I live in the middle of nowhere. I can crank it lol
What is the price and what is the model? (SLX, Dual Reverb?)

JCM900's are decent amplifiers, definitely enough gain for metal, I don't see how someone could argue otherwise.
Quote by al112987
What is the price and what is the model? (SLX, Dual Reverb?)

JCM900's are decent amplifiers, definitely enough gain for metal, I don't see how someone could argue otherwise.

I thought the SLX's were dual reverbs too?
maybe im wrong.
Either way, if you'll ever need cleans. or play some blues once in a while, i'd go 900. I hear it a lot, that people get 5150's and then get bored of them after 1 or 2 years. Not to say that the same wont happen with a JCM 900 though. However, is the 900 you're looking at loaded with EL34's or 6L6's? I know some people prefer the 34's, but for what you want, i would look for one with 6L6's.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
The dual reverb is 6L6 equipped, the SLX High Gain is EL34
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Johnonon
The dual reverb is 6L6 equipped, the SLX High Gain is EL34

Word.
Guess i never noticed that correlation!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Someone at a music store showed me that i just thought i'd pass the knowledge along

I played a dual reverb combo and it was the best cleans I've heard on a marshall and the gain is pretty dope as well
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I sure as hell don't.
It's just gonna be more, EL34 like, man.

Go try it out, and bring an OD with, if you have one.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by FRDesign
Its a 50W with EL34's in it.

Is this good?

I've only played the "hotrod" versions with 5881s (6L6s) in them so really can't comment on the EL-34 one. I've heard good things though.

If you want a more Marshall snarl and mid-range then the EL-34s are probably better for you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've only played the "hotrod" versions with 5881s (6L6s) in them so really can't comment on the EL-34 one. I've heard good things though.

If you want a more Marshall snarl and mid-range then the EL-34s are probably better for you.
I want a High gain modern sound
I'm honestly not up on my JCM900 info. But as far as I know, the earlier the model, the more it apparently sounds like a JCM800. The later the model, the more modern it sounds. The ones I've played were quite modern sounding but still had some Marshally flavor to it which I enjoyed, I believe it was the Dual Reverb. It's been a while since I've tried one
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
If the JCM900 sounds like a Stiletto kinda(modern marshall sound, with lots of gain) then its perfect.

There is a Stilletto for sale but its $400 more than the JCM
Quote by FRDesign
If the JCM900 sounds like a Stiletto kinda(modern marshall sound, with lots of gain) then its perfect.

There is a Stilletto for sale but its $400 more than the JCM

I'm not sure how a stilletto sounds, but a JCM 900 =\= Mesa.
Mesa has a different sound.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
The JCM900 definitely doesn't have as much gain as a Stiletto, but I'd say it's voiced similarly.

How much is the 900 cause you can pick up Stilettos pretty cheap.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The JCM900 definitely doesn't have as much gain as a Stiletto, but I'd say it's voiced similarly.

How much is the 900 cause you can pick up Stilettos pretty cheap.
The JCM900 is $500 used, and the Stilleto is $900
Hmm, well that's a good price for the Stiletto. If it's local, why not just go try it and see if you like it? The worst that can happen is you end up deciding you don't like it and don't buy it, no big deal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Hmm, well that's a good price for the Stiletto. If it's local, why not just go try it and see if you like it? The worst that can happen is you end up deciding you don't like it and don't buy it, no big deal.
Yeah, Its about 30 min away from here