ok, this is my first band, a bit of info about it.
drummer and bassist are 17, guitarist and vocals are 16 - I am 13. We will play Metal -a mix of what we like basically

First problem.
They want me to be lead guitarist because i have a better technical skill than the other guitarist, but the other guitarist doesn't want to be shown up by a 'midget', my idea was to have solos played like a battle or something but he says thats pointless, and he should be lead guitarist - everyone else agrees with my idea or that it should be just me. what should i do?

Second problem
we can't find anywhere to practice. none of us have garages / they are to small to fit a drum kit in - we have a place for September onwards in a church, but i want practice early so we are at least tight sounding. where can we practice without paying?

Thirdly.
will my age be a problem?

EDIT: how can we work on getting 'tight' quickly and is there anyway i can get better at staying in time whilst we find somewhere to practice?

thanks, any advice is helpful

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Jul 24, 2008,
1. If the other guitarist wants to be lead guitarist simply because he's older then he's being a dick. I agree with your idea of solo battles but another alternative is to just share out the solos(you take solos in some songs, he takes them in others). An awesome young lead guitarist is a great gimmick too

2.You could try looking around for practice rooms but that would cost money. Not sure about this one sorry!

3.Age thing could prove problematic but Try not to go in with the mindset that it will be. A friend of mine played bass in a band with older band members and they didn't go well but that could have been for other reasons too (she was a chick)

Anyway, best of luck!
problem: i say that you threaten the ruthme guitarist to do what THE BAND wants or else he can leave

second problem: there are many places where you don't have to pay much to play, imagine a place where you have to pay , you divide theprice by 5

thirdly: your age is NO prblem, we have a 19 year old drummer, a 17 year old rythme guitarist, ME on lead guitar (16) and our keyboardest/temp vocalist is 13, a 6 year difference between the oldest and youngest.

for getting tight: make sure you practice as a band but also individually, if you cannot practice as a band all too often, practice on your own until you have more possibilities.
1.discuss it with ur mates and tell them either you both play solos or u just don't want him there

2.maybe try and find an old abandond house and just break into it not sure if the electricity will work but tht wat i did and it worked

3.i didn't really care when i was in a band i snuck into the bars we played at
Run the band like a democracy and have everyone promise to abide by the voted for decisions.
Have regular band meetings where you talk about band business.
Your first point of business now is, 'who plays lead guitar?'
Take a vote on it, do whatever the majority votes for.
Problem solved.

Try asking local youth clubs, social clubs, community centres, ect. for practice space. Or even hire a professional rehearsal space, between a band of four people it doesn't usualy cost too much each.

Your age may not be a problem yet because your other members are also under age for many venues, but a problem may arise when they turn 18 and you're still 15, unless you just concentrate on venues and events that have no age restrictions until you can at least pass for 18.
i like the idea of both being guitarists and not alienating each other for no reason.

we've got a place for free but someone else has it until September, might try looking for other places for now.

and also, they expect me to be the main music writer, but i have no clue how to write for drums - any tips on that?

Quote by metallicafan616

and also, they expect me to be the main music writer, but i have no clue how to write for drums - any tips on that?

Just write for guitar, whatever you write will have a natural beat to it that your drummer ought to be able to work with.
Quote by metallicafan616

If you have the idea of what the song should sound like in your head then it can just be explained. Alternatively, if you're really struggling with it then just have the rest of the band minus drums play each section of the song over and over and have the drummer jam to it and write his own line
The older kid who wants to be lead guitarist obviously isn't in it for the music so kick him out. Age isn't a problem, look at the replacements.
sometimes
if everyone in the band except the other lead guitarist want you to be lead guitar, why should the say of that one person make any difference? if he doesn't agree with the rest of the band, he shouldn't be there, one of the first things you need in a band is unity.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

as for writing ill try that, the drummer is grade 6 and should understand what i write.

and with the other guitarist ill see if i can talk with him personally about it.

A ****-headed guitarist is the easiest thing in the world to fix. Have him know just how replaceable he is, and if he continues, then replace him! Decent guitarists come a dime a dozen. It's not like a drummer or a good singer.
Wow, I sense immaturity already. Okay for one, whats to say you would be "showing him up"? I am personally 100% against ever labeling guitarists. Designating someone upon forming a band as the "lead" guitarist, and saying that he will play all the solos and the other guitarist will not is absolute madness. When you label you introduce egos, stereotypes, and expectations. It's ridiculous to start a band and limit yourselves instantly. Why not just have two guitar parts, split amongst both guitarists? If one guitarist can play a particular part significantly better than the other than the choice should be obvious.
Quote by take_it_t
Wow, I sense immaturity already. Okay for one, whats to say you would be "showing him up"? I am personally 100% against ever labeling guitarists. Designating someone upon forming a band as the "lead" guitarist, and saying that he will play all the solos and the other guitarist will not is absolute madness. When you label you introduce egos, stereotypes, and expectations. It's ridiculous to start a band and limit yourselves instantly. Why not just have two guitar parts, split amongst both guitarists? If one guitarist can play a particular part significantly better than the other than the choice should be obvious.

So true. A friendly rivally to eachother as guitarists is good to keep you both in top form, but something like this is just pointless dicking around that will only slow things down.
take it t and retro rocker, did you read my first post? thats exactly what I was saying and HE wants to label us - sorry if i was unclear.

Quote by metallicafan616
take it t and retro rocker, did you read my first post? thats exactly what I was saying and HE wants to label us - sorry if i was unclear.

We weren't saying YOU were immature, we were agreeing on what you said about sharing lead work out equally.

And really, the only way to stay tight as a band is to practice often as a band.
oh i guess i was reading well sorry

Quote by metallicafan616

I was actually referring to that guy when I said I sense immaturity