Page 1 of 2
Heres the deal. Ive been switching around between about 5 guitars for a while now, and nothing seems to suit me more both playability-wise and looks-wise as the Les Paul Custom. The thing is, Im torn between going all out and buying the Gibson, or saving a LOT of money and going with the Epiphone or epiphone elitist. So my question is, is it worth it to spend $3400 on my dream guitar, that will be kept for years and years to come, or just buy the lower end and maybe replace it with somehting else in a few years.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Dude....the epiphone's are nothing to complain about at all. In fact, I'd highly recommend them. The pickups are the same, the wood is the same. It's just cheaper labour, and thus, cheaper price.
hmm...well although i love my Epi Les Paul, when compared to my Gibson les Paul Standard, the Epi version lacks the extra shimmer and punch i get with the Gibson version.
i have the 1960s neck LP and it has a really beautiful vintage tone to it.(its a Jimmy Page lookalike sorta).

IMO it was worth the 2500$ while my Epi LP has been at the Guitar Techs on several occassions...from toggle switch shorting out, to knobs shorting out, to pickup wiring shorting out...

get the Gibson!
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
Do whatever you want!
Sure the epiphones are good value but..
Nothing will compare to a guitar you are in love with

Enjoy it mate!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
If you want a Les Paul Custom, nothing will satisfy but that guitar.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
that depends how long it'll take you to save. but i'd go for the real deal. and not just because it would sound and play WAY better. you'll also have a deeper appreciation for the guitar after having saved and gone without for so long.
besides, once the guitar's out of the way, you don't have to worry about it again. instead of saving for ANOTHER guitar, you can set out to pick up new pedals, better amps, maybe some recording gear.
though you do have some decent stuff already...
Quote by Ryzeke1
Dude....the epiphone's are nothing to complain about at all. In fact, I'd highly recommend them. The pickups are the same, the wood is the same. It's just cheaper labour, and thus, cheaper price.

Actually im pretty sure both the wood and pickups are different. The wood may still be mahogany, but theres definitley something like wood quality making it cheaper. Also the pickups are much cheaper
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
that depends how long it'll take you to save. but i'd go for the real deal. and not just because it would sound and play WAY better. you'll also have a deeper appreciation for the guitar after having saved and gone without for so long.
besides, once the guitar's out of the way, you don't have to worry about it again. instead of saving for ANOTHER guitar, you can set out to pick up new pedals, better amps, maybe some recording gear.
though you do have some decent stuff already...

I have the money now. True though, I dont want to buy the epi then end up buying a gibson later and wasting money.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
big difference i find with my Epi and my Gibson is that when i have my amps Highs set for the Gibson, for the Epi i have to keep cranking the Highs up to match what my ears were used to with the Gibson. dont get me wrong, aside from the repairs my Epi has seen its still a beautiful sounding guitar though.
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
Quote by Ryzeke1

the cheaper labor comes from using people who are less experienced guitar builders. granted, the foreign guys have gotten better recently (they're gaining experience). you can always swap out pickups. but attention to detail and quality worksmanship are well worth the extra money.
Quote by Ryzeke1

different pickups totally mate.
slightly diff woods
different paint which DOES change the tone
different fingerboard
different fretsize and fret dress

imo a VERY different guitar
Hmm, it looks like i should go with the Gibson. Ill go to the guitar shop tomorrow to try them side by side. I absolutley despise the epiphone headstocks though. Of all the designs they could have picked, the picked the worse by far.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Doodleface
If you want a Les Paul Custom, nothing will satisfy but that guitar.

If you want the ultimate Les Paul Custom tone, do what this guy says. There is no substitute for the real thing, fact. But then again, I would never pay that much money for a guitar I could buy for a 5th of the price and then just replace the lessor quality parts with high end parts, if necessary - I don't even need to do that - my Custom kicks ass and its only Epiphone.
The elitist is made in Japan you're almost guaranteed with excellent build quality with that one.
They are different guitars - one is nothing like the other. If you can not see/feel/here that save your money.
the standard epi ones arnt to bad i own one needed some tweaking but its good
the elitists are really good value for money and well worth it
but if u can afford a gibson and care about names plus not having a hidious lookin headstock like the elitist then why no tget the gibson
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
It's not really about the name so much as it is about wanting the better guitar.

When I buy something I worry about if I'm going to like it rather then is it cheap.
Quote by SenorSmiley
It's not really about the name so much as it is about wanting the better guitar.

When I buy something I worry about if I'm going to like it rather then is it cheap.

well all i can say is go to a shop and try em
might be hard to find a elitist about but gibsons and epis are plentyfull and im sure a shop could getahold of a elitist
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
I'd get the custom. You already have an M-1000 and an American Strat so an Epi might not cut it compared to the Gib Custom.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by SenorSmiley
They are different guitars - one is nothing like the other. If you can not see/feel/here that save your money.

Of course they are, ive played both, just not side by side recently. The epi has a thinner neck and sounds much differnt
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Ryzeke1

WRONG. quality of wood is waaay different, epi is not hand painted or handmade, pickups are waaaay different(research), cheaper labour because it's np ;labour it's ****ing factory made. and epi's can include ****ty pieces of wood so you might get a ****ty epiphone. haha. funniest post all day. just dumb... and you dont want to play a guitar that says epiphone on it. it makes you look unprofessional, rather than if you have a Gibson. omfg you pay the extra for the label too look cool. on stage it's all about looks for real. yeah and sell some guitars if you dont have money.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
WRONG. quality of wood is waaay different, epi is not hand painted or handmade, pickups are waaaay different(research), cheaper labour because it's np ;labour it's ****ing factory made. and epi's can include ****ty pieces of wood so you might get a ****ty epiphone. haha. funniest post all day. just dumb... and you dont want to play a guitar that says epiphone on it. it makes you look unprofessional, rather than if you have a Gibson. omfg you pay the extra for the label too look cool. on stage it's all about looks for real. yeah and sell some guitars if you dont have money.

lolz
Quote by apak

I don't know about that part but otherwise it's true.
If you're gunna go the Epi route (to save money) go for an Elitist; Their Japanese made, and play a helluva lot better than any other Epi (and probably some Gibsons, like the Studio and the Studio Faded). Or you could go with an old Orville Les Paul, since I believe Orville was Gibson's Japanese operation.
Are orvilles even sold in the US?

And a question about the pickups..Can you replace the pickup but keep the cover, or is that a one piece deal
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Get the epi and cover the head with a towel play it and you probably won't know if its a epi or gibbo, /thread.

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

uh, fail.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by apak

Epiphones are great guitars, obviously they're not Gibson quality, but they're still good instruments. And on stage, the only people that are guna know the difference between a Gibson and an Epi, is other guitarist/musicians....And looks only make a huge difference if your music is ****. If your playing good music, no one's guna care if your playin from a Gibson, or some rubber bands wrapped around a shoebox.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Epiphones are not great guitars. They are decent guitars for low money.

A really nice Gibson (not the low end stuff) is a great guitar.
Quote by HLrocker
Epiphones are great guitars, obviously they're not Gibson quality, but they're still good instruments. And on stage, the only people that are guna know the difference between a Gibson and an Epi, is other guitarist/musicians....And looks only make a huge difference if your music is ****. If your playing good music, no one's guna care if your playin from a Gibson, or some rubber bands wrapped around a shoebox.

Epi's are pretty good, but I disagree somewhat. Just because there is a sense of professionalism, and there is a difference in seeing Epi and Gib.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by SenorSmiley
Epiphones are not great guitars. They are decent guitars for low money.

A really nice Gibson (not the low end stuff) is a great guitar.

Yeah, but there not great guitars for the money.
The Gibson will be around long after the Epiphone is in the garbage. The best deal, and only sound one for an "investment" is going to be a used Gibson though. You'll return your money a lot faster. That said, the market is going to get worse before it gets better, so just wait. With a new one now, you'll probably need over 30 years to get a return. If you wait maybe another year, when the value is at rock bottom, get a used one. I bet once the market rebounds you could see a return in <10 years.
I think Gibsons are fantastic guitars for the money. If you look around you can pick them up cheap.

In the past 6 months I have bought:

1961 ES-330 - $800.00
1953 ES-125 - $600.00
1990 Les Paul Standard - $700.00

The only Epiphone I have bought is a 65 Olympic that I paid about 55.00 for.

The old Epiphones were cool guitars the new ones are POS.
Ah, I see whats happening here, your in the US, I'm in Europe. Its like Mesa amps, they are just too expensive for what you get over here, same with Gibsons, in my opinion. I can only afford a Les Paul Studio or faded and there not that much better than an Epiphone.
I totally see where your coming from though with those dirt cheap prices, if only they were similar over here.
Quote by CJRocker
The Gibson will be around long after the Epiphone is in the garbage. The best deal, and only sound one for an "investment" is going to be a used Gibson though. You'll return your money a lot faster. That said, the market is going to get worse before it gets better, so just wait. With a new one now, you'll probably need over 30 years to get a return. If you wait maybe another year, when the value is at rock bottom, get a used one. I bet once the market rebounds you could see a return in <10 years.

Very good points here. This would be something I would keep for maybe even more than 10 years. I think your right though, I would get rid the the epiphone within 2 years and still be wanting the real thing.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Who said I was buying it for looks? I just said I hate the headstock, im sure it plays beautifully.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
The epi has a thinner neck and sounds much differnt

the neck on my epi is almost the same size as my 50s gibson, the gibson does sound better though, i wouldnt pay for the custom id get a standard
dude, don't just try 2 guitars, before I bought any of mine, I tried every guitar in the the store multiple times, i spent all day, going between 3 stores to find the one that suited me, i thought it would be a SG but it wasn't.
anyways epiphones aren't that bad, half the people posting bad comments have probly never owned them, all the Epiphones players I meet have no problems with their guitars, plus with the money you save you could buy some great pups.
Besides the quality of Gibson guitars now has gone way down, you just pay more for the name.

BTW: If theire all stock, the high end epiphones (think elitist) definitaly beat the lower end( but more expensive) Gibsons. and for 2,000$ the quality compared to a 800$ fender or epiphone or something, is not even close to what you pay for!
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Jul 25, 2008,
Page 1 of 2