I am looking to improve my jazz and blues lead guitar skills and wondered if anyone knows any decent jazz saxophonists I can listen to for soloing ideas ideas?
Quote by mccabe24
For jazz, John Coltrane and Charlie Parker are both must hears.

Any particular albums that stand out?
thanks
wasnt bill clinton a sax player?
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
maceo parker...check the song childrens world on youtube..itsa live version..and its chilling its soo good.
I dont know his name but listen to the rippingtons. Great jazz band. Russ Freeman there guitarist is awesome. Look into him a little.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Kenny G
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
oh also..forgot to add..for rock..check clarence from bruce sprigsteens e street band. he has a rather girthy sound...
Man why not listen to some great guitarists?

Grant Green was a SUPER BLUES INFLUENCED jazz guitarist, one of my favorites. Then you can listen to guys like Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Jimmy Bruno, Pat Martino, Charlie Byrd. All great guitarists, you'll have an easier idea transferring the sound and matching phrasing.

But if you really want saxes, Cannonball Adderlly is probably right up your alley. He and his brother Nat are both heavily blues influenced guys, and some of their albums have a very rock-jazz sound. I can't reccommend enough the album Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, if only for the title track and the following song The Sticks, and Sack O' Woe is a great bluesy tune too.
the classic album by miles davis "kind of blue" has cannonball adderly, john coltrane & bill evens doing some of the best jazz/blues improve ever recorded...

my fave "all blues" is an excellent study in .. well the blues .. its 6/8 feel with minor qualities has many blues devices in it..thus the title...

wolf
wasnt bill clinton a sax player?

I thought he just played it on the Simpsons, but no, he does! Google it.
Man why not listen to some great guitarists?

Tell Alan Holdsworth that; he actually doesn't like playing guitar much and wanted to be a saxaphone player, he feels he got stuck with the wrong instrument.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
Tell Alan Holdsworth that; he actually doesn't like playing guitar much and wanted to be a saxaphone player, he feels he got stuck with the wrong instrument.

I think if I got the chance to start all over again, I'd totally go with piano. Solo jazz and classical piano is just my favorite sound. So chill, so groovy.