My band chums and I have an ongoing debate about what covers to do in our set. The (tenuous) common ground which we share are bands like The Smiths, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP, Bloc Party, The Pixies and stuff like that but trying to find a balance between doing pop songs like Arctic Monkeys and obvious covers and doing semi-obscure ones and not selling our souls is difficult. The only songs we're dead set upon are 'Drown' by Smashing Pumpkins and 'This Charming Man' by the Smiths.

Any help would be much appreciated]
Cheers!
If you likw pumpkins and other 90's alt, and want to do stuff that is more pop, why not look at 90's alt-pop bands. We like to play things like wallflowers, semisonic, counting crows, lighter stp and live, and other such lighter stuff. Sounds like that might be right up your alley. Check out a few "ultimate 90s" playlists on itunes or whatever then go to town with that stuff.

Good call with "drown" I'd also pick a song or two off of pisces iscariot personally, as they are IMO better songs than siamese dream or gish, and also less well known which serves your purpose well.
Ooooo----eeee-oooooo---- I look just like Buddy Holly....

Easily one of the best songs of the '90's.

Even if they did sell their souls to Microsoft by allowing their video (absolutely brilliant as it was) to be used as inclusion of the Windows 95 operating system as a video demonstrator.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Cover some Pixies. Wave Of Mutilation, Monkey Gone To Heaven, Debaser...?
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Just remember that no matter what you pick, remember you are playing for an audience... not for yourselves. Sure, pick stuff you like, but make sure it is stuff the audience will know.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

the cure-just like heaven

Smashing Pumpkins- Siva, east, or hummer (or pretty much anysong would be sick! cept zeitgeist)

Muse- plug in baby
Geez.... lots of songs in this thread that will totally be lost on your average bar audience.

CT

True. I'd go with the 90s alt-pop movement (Closing Time by Semisonic, The Freshman by The Verve Pipe, one hit wonders are PERFECT for this sort of thing.) or a song that most people know but would never expect coming from you.

Something like how Matt Weddle turned "Hey Ya" into this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS2PRP89eqM

Just find something with good lyrics and/or a good melody that's been eaten up by the bull$h!t surrounding it.

Or how about some Talking Heads? "Psyco Killer" is always a safe bet, or a guitar version of "Burning Down The House"?
Id try some weezer, probably The Sweater Song, El Scorcho, or Hash Pipe.

Dinosaur Jr. and The Toadies would be a good idea too.

Maybe something by the foo fighters?