Hey guys, my band got an offer to be in this competition, it claims to get a year of free promotion for winners, and Buddy Guy is supposedly judging the blues section. The only thing that irks me is the $30 entrance fee.

The website is:
www.independentmusicawards.com

Does anyone know if this is a scam? I have a feeling this is but I can't bring myself to believe 100% that it is. Maybe it's just because I want to, but whatever. Any input appreciated here guys.
30w crate
Epi sg
Fretless yamaha pacifica

Being poor rules.
So, essentially, a waste of my 30 dollars that could go to better use?
30w crate
Epi sg
Fretless yamaha pacifica

Being poor rules.
It's 30 bucks. Who cares?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by .I.T.
So, essentially, a waste of my 30 dollars that could go to better use?

Not much if you split it among all the members of the band.
How credible is their promotion. Do you know if any of the bands they have promoted in the past were successful? Is it worth risking $30?
Si
inb4 u gonna get raped
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
is your band better than $30? Do it, even if you don't win, you expose yourselvs more.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Generally "pay to play" is a ripoff, because if the band is giving them money, what motivation does the promoter have to... y'know... promote the show.

ON the other hand, most of the awful scams have you selling 50 tickets to get into the show, etc. Does the show have a history? $30 is pretty cheap even if it is a rip off. THat's like, a good hamburger. At worst you can network with other bands and get some on-stage practice time?