I have a Peavey JSX 212 combo and NEVER go past both 5 for vol. and master vol in my fairly small room.

I know the level of decibels that can damage your hearing, yet I can't find a place that has a rough chart on the size of your amp/volume level= an amount of decibels.

I know the amount that can hurt me yet nothing to help me see when I might be reaching this amount. Can someone help me out?
i'm surprised you are not deaf yet. but in all seriousness, i think you'll be fine
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
a rough guide is :

does it hurt?

YES: its too loud
NO: turn it up then.

If its hurting you to listen, or if you have a ringing in your ears for any length of time, then its time to turn down or buy some decent earplugs. its very important to make sure you dont damage your ears at all.

Also, it isnt as simple as having a chart showing the wattage against volume(dB) or something like that. theres too many variables in it like speaker efficiency, difference in componants etc etc. As noted above, you could get a sound level meter, but why do that when you've got ears. trust them. the fact that your asking suggests to me that its too loud already.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Last edited by AndyPandy at Jul 24, 2008,
what are you talking about?
there is no such thing as playing guitar too loud
hahaha just kidding.
Quote by AndyPandy
a rough guide is :

does it hurt?

YES: its too loud
NO: turn it up then.

If its hurting you to listen, or if you have a ringing in your ears for any length of time, then its time to turn down or buy some decent earplugs. its very important to make sure you dont damage your ears at all.

Also, it isnt as simple as having a chart showing the wattage against volume(dB) or something like that. theres too many variables in it like speaker efficiency, difference in componants etc etc.

lmao exactly!!!!
Ok, thanks guys. Just wanted to be careful, and I'm getting a condenser microphone and I don't want to damage it.
I'd like to point out a specific bit from that website on hearing loss:

"You bet, but music doesn’t have to be so loud that it hurts your ears for it to cause damage. If it’s so loud you can’t hear a normal conversation, it’s probably damaging your hearing."
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
I play my JSX with the master volume at 7 and the ultra channel volume at 4. About the same as you I guess. I like to....feel the amp. Sometimes I'll wear one earplug in the ear facing my cabinet.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
huh?
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
When I got my Line 6 Spider III 150 at arrival.. I plugged in my guitar straight away, put it on and forgot to check the volume knobs..

I had a squeeling sound in my head for like 3 days, the knobs were both at 10 lol, both Master Volume and Channel Volume..

Anyway, I agree with the fact "If you can't hear a normal conversation, it's damaging your ears"
Rock on..without hesitation