So i got a PRS SE semi-hollow and want to coil split it. Well there's only 2 leads coming from the pickups and the tech here says you can't split them. I like the sound of the stock pickups but ill need new ones if i want to split them. The pickups I was thinking of was PRS DRAGON II's, i was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. The styles of music i play are blues, jazz, and modern rock is about as heavy as i get.
My gear:
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Ibanez AEL 50 SERLV
Peavey XXL Half Stack
You need 4 conductor pickups to split.

Best to use hotter pickups as splitting will half the output. I have a split Seymour Duncan SH-4 in my bridge, its a pretty useless mod imo. I use my phase switch more often.
Quote by al112987
You need 4 conductor pickups to split.

Best to use hotter pickups as splitting will half the output. I have a split Seymour Duncan SH-4 in my bridge, its a pretty useless mod imo. I use my phase switch more often.

thats a coil tap man. Coil split actually splits the coils into a single coil. Coil tap just cuts the output in half, and (IMO) sounds pretty weak.

I'd ask courdy (rock monkey pickups) about some pickups, he makes some pickups. He does a thing where he wires 2 single coils together to make a humbucker, gives a great humbucking tone, and a great split tone.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
thats a coil tap man. Coil split actually splits the coils into a single coil. Coil tap just cuts the output in half, and (IMO) sounds pretty weak.

I'd ask courdy (rock monkey pickups) about some pickups, he makes some pickups. He does a thing where he wires 2 single coils together to make a humbucker, gives a great humbucking tone, and a great split tone.

Splitting a 2 coil humbucker into a 1 coil pickup halves the output.
Quote by al112987
Splitting a 2 coil humbucker into a 1 coil pickup halves the output.

Yeah, but saying it like that, i interpreted it wrong as just splitting the output in half, rather than splitting the coils. Just a misunderstanding
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer