Hey all I just purchased a Mesa Boogie 5:25 and while it does cleans and rock beautifully and pretty much everything else (except metal) I am now looking for an OD or OD/distortion pedal that will let me get some really nice thrash tones and just the general metal sound with as little mud as possible and as much tube warmth shining through. I play an Epi les paul classic with a PAF pro in the necck and a Super distortion in the bridge. Thanks in advance and I'm looking to spend under 100$ since I just shelled out major bucks for the amp. I was looking at the T-Rex bloody mary. Awesome pedal just a bit much money wise so if there was maybe a cheaper alternative but with the same idea I'd love to hear it or see it. Thanks in advance.

PS. is the boss SD-1 capable of doing metal? Also I found the Metal Muff nano and micro pedals to be quite nice.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I know a lot of metal guys do use Tubescreamers to boost their amps Dist/Gain channels. It's really about finding the best one that works with your amp.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Quote by StriferDiem
I know a lot of metal guys do use Tubescreamers to boost their amps Dist/Gain channels. It's really about finding the best one that works with your amp.

Ah I thought of this as an option. Would the tube screamer give me that metal scooped sound capabilities?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
The tubescreamer will boost your mids somewhat. It shouldn't be bad if you are boosting very scooped distortion with it though. Listen to Killswitch Engage and As I LAy Dying tones. Granted...they are boosting high gain amps with Maxon OD808 overdrives, but the principle applies.
I find the mid hump useful for solo boosting anyway...although this isn't what you're asking about.
Ah i see. I have done some looking at the Metal Muff Series and any of them should be perfect. Alot of reviews from tube amp users and it generally doesnt seem to affect tone if u have a good quality amp. I hope LOL
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Its possible Ill take a look at some sound clips. Its a but pricey though vs a metal muff so itll really have to pull through for the extra cash
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Don't get a metal muff and run it into a tube amp like that. The metal muff will just create some "okay" transistor distortion tones and then your amp will amplify that.

Get an overdrive pedal like a Maxon od808 or Digitech Bad Monkey (if you're going for super budget) to boost the distortion channel of your amp. Boosted distortion on a Mesa amp will probably sound 10x better than running a distortion pedal through your whole amp.
Gear:
M'Gerada classical guitar (first crappy guitar)
Epiphone Les Paul 100 (sold)
Laney 15w SS (sold)
Cheapo Aldi Acoustic
Pocket Pod (borken)
Ibanez RGR421
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by Reck
Don't get a metal muff and run it into a tube amp like that. The metal muff will just create some "okay" transistor distortion tones and then your amp will amplify that.

Get an overdrive pedal like a Maxon od808 or Digitech Bad Monkey (if you're going for super budget) to boost the distortion channel of your amp. Boosted distortion on a Mesa amp will probably sound 10x better than running a distortion pedal through your whole amp.

Ah ok I see. I think I'll try this because it makes the most sense from what ive heard. I'll try to pick one up soon.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni