Hey guys, I am a great fan of customizing guitars, but I am mostly a bass-guy so I do not know much of pickup brands. I am going to be customizing a Music-Man style guitar, and I have very little guidance as to what pickups to get. The body of my guitar is made of Basswood, so expect the pickups to define my sound before it hits the amp. I kinda want an SSH configuration, but if reccomended I can go for something different.

What I am looking for
-(most important) Haunting leads
Prime example can be found here at 4:27
-Chugging rythm; great for metal riffage
-If possible, ability to get smoother jazz tones.

What I have looked at
-Browsing through my Guitarist magasine, a Seymour Duncan P-rail for bridge, and a humbucking singlecoil neck pickup. I have no idea about middle pickups.

Hopefully this is enough information, but I will answer any questions if more information is needed. And please, don't post "Hay I dun kno if this iz wat u want, but I have ***** and it is gewd."
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Hay I dun kno if this iz wat u want, but I have angus young signature pickup and it is gewd.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
That is not the kind of answer I was looking for. -.-
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
it might be a little expensive but i would say to get 2 single coil lace sensors and an EMG humbucker if you want an SSH configuration.
Quote by shadesofanger
Wait...Fat is a trend? I am soooooo getting into this trend now.

BLINK 182=EPIC WIN

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
^ +1
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Dimarzio Breed for bridge?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Seymours and the Dimarzios ...EMGs are nice and all..but kinda expensive, and youd have to replace the battery which I happen to have BAD past experiences with

That being said, I have a Dimarzio virtual PAF in the neck and a JB Seymour Duncan in the bridge
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
That screams Bareknuckles Motherbucker to me... There's definitely some pitch shifting in there too...

Anyway, to be realistic stick with passive pickups if you're going to be mixing it up with Lace Sensors... But I would say a Lace Duel-Blue bridge with a silver mid and red neck in an HSS configuration should get something close to that. Particularly if you wire it so that the middle position is Neck + Bridge pickups rather than the mid pickup alone...

Bareknuckle don't make a model called the Motherbucker...

I second the Breed recommendation for the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I am probably going to go for lace sensor single coils, but there is still some debate as to what to get for my bridge humbucker. I am really looking for the humbucker to be a fun pickup, something that will provide coil splitting, or something offbeat. That is the main reason I looked at the P-Rail.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Bump

Would a humbucker from Shadow do the job for my sound? Is there a reason I should not choose the Seymour Duncan P-Rail for my bridge?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
bump

Still need help, guys. :\

So far here are the reccomendatins

Neck: Lace Red

Middle: Lace Silver

Bridge: Emg, Dimarzio Breed, Dimarzio Super Distortion, Lace Double Blue
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Still no help on bridge humbucker, need more reccomendations for it.

How about a humbucker-neck/tele-bridge configuration? What would anyone reccomend for that to get the sound I linked on the first post?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
if u have an emg in the bridge your neck and mid p/u need to be actives too...

edit: unless you're going for the emg-hz which i hear is appalling
You don't want a red in the neck, get a double red humbucker for the bridge and a blue for the neck instead. Thats the set up Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead has in his teles and both his clean and heavy sound is great.
Mmk. Updated list for pickup configs.

SSH

Neck: Lace Red

Middle: Lace Silver

Bridge: Dimarzio Breed, Dimarzio Super Distortion, Lace Double Blue

Humbucking neck, Telecaster singlecoil Bridge

Neck: Lace Blue

Bridge: Lace Double Red

Any other reccomendations? Still no input on the seymour duncan p-rail.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
I don't how the P-Rail sounds with basswood, that's why I didn't recommend it.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Mmk, small update, scrap the tele idea, it is just SSH for me. Another thing popped up, there is a good chance the guitar will be made of alder, if that changes any decisions.

I still need reccomendations for the bridge humbucker, remember to keep the sound I told you of in my first post, those are very important to me.

And can anyone reccomend to me a cheap way of adding a floyd to the guitar? I was looking at the Super-Vee, but at $200 it may be cheaper to get a real floyd.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Jul 29, 2008,
After looking around, I am still entirely lost with the pickups.

I am concerned with the reccomendation of the red as neck position, would that get the sound I need?

As for the dual blue as bridge, they actually do not make those. They have dual red, dual gold, blue/gold, and red/silver.

Really guys, I adore that haunting tone from the solo, and I need an idea as to how to get it.

Oh, and the body is definitily going to be alder.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke