hey, just for fun i want to try and use my computer as an amp, I bought a headphone jack thing at the store for 99p and i have used it to plug into the mic bit at the front of my computer I then selected it as being a line in, I can hear the guitar if I turn up the volume really loud but its still quiet, What kind of software and stuff can i use to make it sound good? Im just interested in seeing whats possible. thanks
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Amplitube is apparently really good. Idk first hand though. I haven't been able to plug my guitar into my pc yet to try my copy out.
Btw, you can get a copy free if you buy a set of dean markley strings. Idk if it has to be specially marked or not, but look for it anyway.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jul 24, 2008,
thats you should plug your guitar into your amp, and then from your amp into the mic.
Quote by okitsandrew
thats you should plug your guitar into your amp, and then from your amp into the mic.

AH! BE CAREFUL! you can fry your mic input if your output is too high! i've killed a lot of headphones that way.

yea, amplitube is expensive but very very very good. you can get a demo of it from their site. there are a few artists who actually use it for their recordings, so that tells you about tone.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by okitsandrew

oh really? So i want to go from my microcube aux to the pc's mic in? damn im gunna need special cable for that aint i. the guitar is so quiet though i can barely hear it and it seems to be only coming out of one speaker.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
oh really? So i want to go from my microcube aux to the pc's mic in? damn im gunna need special cable for that aint i. the guitar is so quiet though i can barely hear it and it seems to be only coming out of one speaker.

...make sure u read what i said. dont fry your input lol. but yea, if you find from somone that the output wont be too high then you can do that. u just need the same jack that you used on ur guitar to your comp. itd be like, normal guitar cable to your amp, then normal guitar cable with adapter to computer. it works nicely.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
kinda jackin this thread a bit, but does anyone know how I would be able to plug my Spider III 75 into my pc for recording? Without fancy adapters and ****? my town has nothing music related here. Seriously. I actually have to get a cable MADE to be able to record, because you can't buy anything like that around here.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jul 24, 2008,
Quote by bored_maniac33
...make sure u read what i said. dont fry your input lol. but yea, if you find from somone that the output wont be too high then you can do that. u just need the same jack that you used on ur guitar to your comp. itd be like, normal guitar cable to your amp, then normal guitar cable with adapter to computer. it works nicely.

okay an once i have done this will i be able to use software to shape the sound, like with effects and stuff? will the amp to pc just act as a volume boost more than anything else?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by Pat_s1t
^no i think you actually get the volume and the tone from your amp. you can probably either use pedals or software to add effects. once again, i wouldnt know, just a guess.

well yeh i meant would you then be able to use software to add effects and stuff over the amps sound? I just wanted to have a mess with a few different effects.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
well yeh i meant would you then be able to use software to add effects and stuff over the amps sound? I just wanted to have a mess with a few different effects.

Yes, at least with the amp on clean settings.

Also, plug the guitar into "line in" input, the mic input is too noisy (you can hear it even when you are turning the volume knob).
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
Yes, at least with the amp on clean settings.

Also, plug the guitar into "line in" input, the mic input is too noisy (you can hear it even when you are turning the volume knob).

okay I am guessing thats the blue one, il try and find a lead 2moro or make one outta some old headphones probably have a couple pairs somewhere
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
get a pocket pod or something of the sort. im a computer tech...you need to level out the inputs at an amplified level. there are devices out there desined spcificly for this. and tbh, using software and adaptors is a total waste of time. at a major hardware level. sucks i know. but still, lifes is a big long line of "ahh crap, crap hit the fan again, coverd in crap, gotta pay to have this cleaned"

Quote by lwayneio
okay I am guessing thats the blue one, il try and find a lead 2moro or make one outta some old headphones probably have a couple pairs somewhere

make out of an old headphones? Why? Just buy it directly on any hardware store:

I'm guessing you're referring to this:

Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
audacity is free!

what i did was, i used my digitech multi effects pedal, and on the back it has a headphone jack and i hoooked it up to my computer and it is pretty darn nice.
Line 6 Gearbox.
-Amp Models
-Cab models
-Effects and Stompboxes

Really great for the computer and home recording.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by El Cumanés
make out of an old headphones? Why? Just buy it directly on any hardware store:

I'm guessing you're referring to this:

I already have 2 of those but i only have one guitar cable so i could probably make a cable outta some old headphones, like make a double headphone cable and just whack one of those on one end. I think I might just save up and get a boss me-50 or gt-8.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
You did turn the cd/video in and line in volume up yeah? Not just the wave and master volume?
Signatures are overrated.
hi,
dont expect a great sound from this setup,
Amplitube is fantastic and i use it for recording but you will need a high quality external soundcard/interface to get even a decent level of sound quality.
your pc soundcard is gonna make everything sound like ****
Quote by lwayneio
I bought a headphone jack thing at the store for 99p and i have used it to plug into the mic bit at the front of my computer I then selected it as being a line in, I can hear the guitar if I turn up the volume really loud but its still quiet, What kind of software and stuff can i use to make it sound good? Im just interested in seeing whats possible. thanks

OK - you're a troll I think but I'll play along

1- A "headphone thing" is not a microphone

2- If you then plug it into the "mic in" and select "line in" in the software it won't work - not to mention you're using a headphone as a mic.

I'll give you a UG solution:

I think new pickups would help you get the sound you want.
lol im not trolling, I bought one of those adaptor things so you can plug the guitar directly into the mic in or line in of the computer, It does work i can hear it its just really low volume, I have turnt up all the settings in the options (line in volume, mic volume) and it does come out louder on the line in than it does on the mic. I tried the Guitar rig 3 demo to see if it would do anything but it just made a really high pitched pulsing buzz, it was definetly picking up something though because when I played a string the volume gauge on the program shot up. my sound card probably sucks or somin. Im not too bother about gettin an amazing tone right now cos im only learning I just wanted to see if it was possible to get some diff sounds by using my computer for a laugh oh and sorry if im not making myself clear im not good with words lol, im basically using a thing i found in a shop it just says 3.5mm jack on 6.35mm socket its basically whats in that picture up the thread.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Jul 25, 2008,
Remember that your soundcard must be an ASIO compatible one. If not, then install this generic driver: www.asio4all.com. Work great for me.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
Remember that your soundcard must be an ASIO compatible one. If not, then install this generic driver: www.asio4all.com. Work great for me.

yeh i downloaded that already not even sure what it does I just saw a similar thread that mentioned it lol. sorry for another noob question, but can i use pedals like the boss me-50 with the microcube? do they just go into the aux in?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
yeh i downloaded that already not even sure what it does I just saw a similar thread that mentioned it lol. sorry for another noob question, but can i use pedals like the boss me-50 with the microcube? do they just go into the aux in?

If you have installed the ASIO4ALL driver, then on the Guitar Rig 3 options, make sure you choose ASIO4ALL driver as the audio input/output driver.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
If you have installed the ASIO4ALL driver, then on the Guitar Rig 3 options, make sure you choose ASIO4ALL driver as the audio input/output driver.

okay in the guitar rig settings I have it set as interface asio, sample rate 44100, and output device asio4all v2. but it still just makes this massive buzzing noise, any idea whats wrong? maybe i should download some new sound drivers or something?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Did you choose "line in" as the recording devices on thr windows recording devices panel?

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
Did you choose "line in" as the recording devices on thr windows recording devices panel?

where is the recording devices panel? sorry for being such a noob with this stuff
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
It can be done and with great results, you just have to have the right gear for it. As said having a good soundcard and using an amp is the best way, I get some great tones doing that.
Quote by lwayneio
where is the recording devices panel? sorry for being such a noob with this stuff

If you have XP, then go to control panel->sound and audio properties and on the audio tab, click on "volume" at the "sound recording" setting.

A panel will appear like this:

Select the "line in" option.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
hmmm mine doesnt have a select bit under it, just says mute instead. my sound is onboard so that might be the problem. im gunna download the latest driver and see what happens
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
hmmm mine doesnt have a select bit under it, just says mute instead. my sound is onboard so that might be the problem. im gunna download the latest driver and see what happens

If it says mute, then is not the recording control, but the playback control. Try to recheck that.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
^That is really, really weird. What appears on the "options" menu?.

Try checking "mute" on every option, except by "Line Volume" and "Recording".

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Last edited by El Cumanés at Jul 25, 2008,
Just buy a Toneport.

I used to have my guitar plugged straight into the line in on my soundcard and then used Guitar Rig but it had a huge latency and buzzed like a swarm of bees.

Best solution is to buy a Toneport and use Guitar Rig with it.
Guitar Rig 3 is great software I hear....... but it is VERY expensive.

Or you could buy a Line 6 toneport, I think even the most expensive ones aren't more than $200 or so.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
like i said I only wanted to see if it worked, just a little messing about really, Im quite happy with the microcube, does anyone know if you can use pedals with the microcube? Do they just go in the aux input? Im thinking of getting a boss me-50
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube