Im looking at the peavey valveking head. Brand new from a local store for about $450 (discount anyone?) I found that the cabs for the head are much more expensive than other cabs. The specific Valveking cab isnt the only compatible cab for this head is it? Which other cabs that may be less expensive are compatible?
musician's friend lists the valve king cabinet as $420 which is not that expensive at all for a 4x12.

I mean, the speakers might not be very good, I'd go take a look at Avatar cabinets. You can hook up any cabinet as long as power and impedance match.
im trying to keep my price pretty low, i was looking for a low brand or used cab. if the cab is too expensive i cant buy the head
Here is a tip, do not go cheap on the cabinet.

You cannot get the most out of your amplifier without a good speaker cabinet. It affects the quality of your tone just as much as the head.

Take a look at Avatar, similar price, but far better quality of speakers.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
Do not get the Valveking cab even if you find one used. Find a used marshall 1960 series, Mesa or other high end cab. If you going new get a avatar.... Also a 2x12 will be plenty and allow you to save you some cash as well... So dont just look at 4x12's.... Or you can get the vk combo version and replace the speaker or speakers and your good to go. Theres lots of options.... Whats your full budget anyway?
around $500-800 is the full budget. im looking for an intermediate tube amp that wont cost an arm and a leg to own. Obviously id love a handmade $6000 Marshall or something but thats outta my range. Combos dont bother me either but if i can get a good stack or head id like that more. So really i just want the best tube in the price range

Ibanez, i just realized that you were the guy with the crazy multi-head stack, id definately take advice from you, and nice job btw

also i play metal
Last edited by yawny at Jul 25, 2008,
a Vk can do metal with some help IE: good speakers, OD and Eq pedal. but you do have the option of going used.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
there are actually a ton of used mesas on ebay for pretty cheap, if i could pick up an f-30 or f-50 that would be cool, theres even a few recs for around $600. But id still like someone to give me the bet non-used option for a tube in my range
Last edited by yawny at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by yawny
there are actually a ton of used mesas on ebay for pretty cheap, if i could pick up an f-30 or f-50 that would be cool, theres even a few recs for around $600. But id still like someone to give me the bet non-used option for a tube in my range

then for strictly metal and a new amp, get a b52 at series.
i havent had any experience with the b-52 and havent heard much about them but ill check around. Also, i wasnt entirely accurate in saying only metal. I play anything from classic rock, to hard rock to metal and occasionally some blues and jazz
Quote by yawny
i havent had any experience with the b-52 and havent heard much about them but ill check around. Also, i wasnt entirely accurate in saying only metal. I play anything from classic rock, to hard rock to metal and occasionally some blues and jazz

Gotcha, if youre going to go new id reccomend getting just the VK 112. This will save you enough money to get the goodies taht will help you get the tones that you want like an EQ and OD pedal and a speaker swap..

edit: and if you go used, yea a f-50.
once again, i need to find a used boogie, since no one seems to stock them anymore my only option is ebay and craigslist.
almost forgot about thats, its tough when it seems like now everyone wants a Mesa but no one can afford them new
Get a used MESA cab off ebay, there's great deals for mesa cabs all the time
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
nothing on GC used cept some $600 amp heads, couldnt afford a cab at that price. HLrocker, the mesa cabs on ebay are around $350-450. THATS too much. For that price i may as well get a mesa combo. I am going to the Pittsburgh GC this weekend so ill try out a bunch of the amps there
Every now and then there's a nice cab for less then that, I haven't realy been checking ebay amps for awhile now.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by yawny
around $500-800 is the full budget. im looking for an intermediate tube amp that wont cost an arm and a leg to own. Obviously id love a handmade $6000 Marshall or something but thats outta my range. Combos dont bother me either but if i can get a good stack or head id like that more. So really i just want the best tube in the price range

Ibanez, i just realized that you were the guy with the crazy multi-head stack, id definately take advice from you, and nice job btw

also i play metal

Thanks man...

And heres a few options for you.... If you going to be playing metal you will need a OD pedal and EQ pedal... On a budget go with a Bad Monkey and Fish and Chips..

After that you should have about $260 bucks left over for a cab... You might be able to find a used cab for that but it will be tuff.... One option is get a beater 2x12 cab and slap in some Warehouse Vintage 30 clones..

Also a combo and modding it would be a better option in your case due to budget issues... Dont worry about the discount, they pop up like that all the time.

Also dont just look at a VK the reason i say this is its a versatile amp but if you just looking at playing metal then there are better options in the used market that are more metal driven.. Check out the Peavey 5150 Combo ($450 on up and its a metal beast) and Peavey XXX, Ultra and Jsx are metal with alot of versatility but run you a little bit more but still within your budget....
thanks man, youre a big help. ill check out some of those amps and look at pedal and cab options. The fish and chips, i was just looking at that last night, one of those things you cant believe is $30
Quote by yawny
thanks man, youre a big help. ill check out some of those amps and look at pedal and cab options. The fish and chips, i was just looking at that last night, one of those things you cant believe is $30

Cool and anytime you need any help feel free to hit me up..
Alright, and i actually just found a Peavey xxx head on ebay for $400. its pretty used and abused but it works fine. Used by some band called scary kids scary kids