hey everyone, i recently purchased a peavey valveking 100 head off ebay and it came today. i don t have my cab at the moment so i can t try it out. i plugged the head in fast and turned it on for a sec to see if the it turned on, which it did. the only problem was when i placed it on the floor, i heard a little rattle. i got a little nervous so i picked it up again and placed it on the floor again, and the same thing happened. now, i m leaving tomarrow to go somewhere for a month, so i m not gunna have time to try it out till i return in a month, so if it is broken, the warranty from UPS will probably be expired, so i ll be stuck with a broken head and wasted money. let me know what you think it is.

thanks.
That could be the reverb tank that's rattling.

Also, not a good idea to turn it on without a cab connected, even if it's just quickly.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Rule 1 of tube amps:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER turn on a tube amp without a load.

There is a good chance you've blown out your output transformer in which you'll most likely have to buy a new amp (idk where they make VK output transformers.)
Quote by al112987
Rule 1 of tube amps:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER turn on a tube amp without a load.

There is a good chance you've blown out your output transformer in which you'll most likely have to buy a new amp (idk where they make VK output transformers.)
you said the rattling is because i blew out the transformer? well it was doing that before i turned it on.
How loud is the rattling? Does it kind of sound like springs in a metal box? or more like a loose piece of something hard moving around inside?
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Saternsolide
you said the rattling is because i blew out the transformer? well it was doing that before i turned it on.

The rattling will not be your output transformer. It may as suggested, just be the reverb tank. Describe the noise clearly, if you could

Oh and the point still stands, never put your amp head on without a load or you could seriously fuck it up
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
no not like springs, i don t think it s the reverb spring if that s what you mean. it sounds like a small metal ball inside a glass. but not like a loud noise just a little noise that rattles, like a airsoft gun pellet in a light bulb or something. and do you really think this amp it totaled al112987?
Quote by Saternsolide

It could be something else, but hope that your output transformer wasn't fried, it should be ok if you only flipped it on for a few seconds (off standby I mean). But a general rule of thumb is to never turn a tube amp on without a speaker load.
alright i m gunna see if i can locate the noise in the amp, where would the transformer be?
Pull the screen on the head and look inside real quick with a flashlight and try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

But by no means pull anything else out. It's possible that it's just something that got in there, but I'd definitely take a quick glance.

I think that there's a good chance that you didn't fry anything... You only flipped the main power switch on(not the "standby/on" switch) right?
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Thats just the reverb tank

A blown tranny would smell like burned electronics, and would likely have smoked and or caught fire. Don't EVER do that again. A second probably wouldnt hurt it but dont do it again. ALWAYS be connected to a cab
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Thats just the reverb tank

A blown tranny would smell like burned electronics, and would likely have smoked and or caught fire. Don't EVER do that again. A second probably wouldnt hurt it but dont do it again. ALWAYS be connected to a cab

A reverb tank doesn't sound like a ball bearing rolling around in the head. And I already mentioned the reverb tank several posts ago..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
yea i didn t touch the standby switch, but the noise happened before i turned it on. and i found what the noise is. inside the head, in the middle there is a black box, the biggest electronic thing in the head, rectangular, and it says Belton Engineering.

there s a small hole you can see in it, and it s not a damaged hole, it s looks like it was meant to be there, so don t think that s another problem. with the flash light i can see a spring hiting the top of the box from the inside. is this the reverb spring?
yes.. (phew... sigh of relief for you)
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
ahh ok. thank you for helping me with my problem everyone. i m a noob with amps. sorry if i made all of you pissed off cuz i m so oblivious lol.
I doubt the reverb tank is broken. Was just the spring rattling around while he was moving it...

Never heard one sound like a ball bearing though lol

Good luck with your amp man, and enjoy!
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5