This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm new to guitars with Floyds. I have a Jackson RR and the action on it seems really high. I had it set up at a shop (twice actually, first time I only wanted a general set-up and he blocked the tremelo for some reason, so I brought it back and he took it out and supposedly set it up again). Anyway, I got it back and the shim was taken out and everything played fine, but the action still seemed high. I remember making a point to the guys at the shop to tell him to lower the action as low as it could go without fret buzz. They say he did it, and it's been awhile so I cant bring it back, but the action still seems high, alot higher than on my Les Paul at least.

My guitar has jumbo frets, so could that be the case? Does the action on a guitar with jumbo frets tend to be higher than a regular fret guitar? I doubt this is the case, but you people probably know more than I do on the subject.

My second question is, can I lower the action on the floyd without having to re-set the intonation and all that stuff? I'm used to my Les Paul, so I dont know how to give a set-up on a Floyd Rose bridge. I know what screws I have to turn to lower the action, but can I do it without affecting the intonation and everything else? Because I cant go into setting the intonation and all that, I'll mess something up. Also, the bridge doesnt look totally parallel with the body, could I tighten the springs in back without messing with the aforementioned?

Thanks alot, your helps appreciated
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
You shouldn't really need to adjust the intonation for an action thing, however you WILL need to re-tune it. This is true of making the bridge parallel, which Yes, you do by tightening the springs IF it is angled down towards the neck. Otherwise you need to loosen them. Jumbo frets will make the action higher over the actual fretboard, but you won't really notice as it will still be the same distance from the fret. The other contributing factor is if the truss-rod is not set up properly. All in all, it's nothing terribly hard to fix.
The type of frets shouldn't really matter; I have the action on all of my guitars, including the jumbo fret ones, ridiculously low.

When adjusting the action, just do it bit by bit; retune in between to check for fretbuzz. This can be done by playing every fret on every string.

One note on fretbuzz and dead notes is that there are more causes for them than low action; your truss rod could be set incorrectly or there might be some flaws in the fretwork.

Lowering the action isn't hard at all, just be patient and tune during the process.

As for the intonation, it'll probably be fine. You can always give it a quick check: using an electronic tuner, compare the fretted 12th fret to the 12th fret harmonic on the same string. If they don't produce the exact same note, the intonation is off.

Things like adjusting the action, intonation, etc. are fairly straight forward and doing this yourself will save you the money you'd otherwise spend on a tech to set it up.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jul 24, 2008,
Ok, thanks for the responses. One more thing though, should the bridge be exactly parallel with the body? I have some pics of it :

Theres a pic of the action too. Maybe it's just me, but it looks really high?
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
dude, code next time. not HTML.
Edit: nevermind. also, that's not an RR1. It's probably an RR3.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
For one, an RR3 doesnt have binding. Nor is it neck through, like shown in the picture. I may not have experience in Floyds, but I've been playing a long time and I'm not new when it comes to the world of guitar.

Binding, Ebony fretboard, etc etc etc. It doesnt have an OFR, its got a Schaller, but its not an RR3. Made in Japan, but all the same specs and quality as a USA made one, and it confuses people when I tell them that, so its easier to tell them RR1. Thats besides the point, its exactly the same as an RR1, so the help with the adjustments will be the same.

Besides that, can anyone help me with the bridge? Is it ok for it to be sticking out of the body like that, or does it have to be perfectly parallel with the body? Also, is it just me or does the action still look really high? I'm starting to think he gave me a really bad set-up job.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Last edited by LastCaress88 at Jul 24, 2008,
Oh, ****, my bad. I thought this was a new RR1, which would have the OFR.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Action is hard to tell from pictures, but I did the best I could. All the strings are that distance from the frets except for the high e, which from some reason is lower.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,