Hi, newbie player here. I have a 10W Peavey bass amp and stupidly decided to plug in an electric guitar into it. After a while I notice alot of buzzing noises coming from the amp, and occasionally cracks and pops. And as I'm typing this I hear a steam whistle noise followed by a pop!

I read somewhere that it could also be my cord. I don't have another cord to test with at the moment so I'm wondering if anyone can help me? Do I need a new cord or a new amp? Thanks
You will find out when you try it with a new cord. And amps can be repaired, you know...
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
well when i play a low note, sometimes the sound goes out for a second and then you'll hear a pop. it only sounds decent (but still not good as before) when the volume's set real low. otherwise, i get a weak sound with alot of distortion in the back

I just hope it's not my guitar..
Sounds like its your cabel. I'm like 99% sure but I could be wrong.......I've had over 15 cabels in the past year or so and broke all but three....no joke lol
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Sounds like its your cabel. I'm like 99% sure but I could be wrong.......I've had over 15 cabels in the past year or so and broke all but three....no joke lol

I'm assuming that you are using cheap cables?

I use to buy cheap cables and they would always break within a few months. But a few years ago I splurged and bought a really nice Monster cable and I have never had any problems with it!
I don't know what kind of cables I have but they came with my used amp. Now when I hit the E string, the sound goes out in the middle of the tone. So it's like RRRRRR*pop*______________*pop*RRRR, the _____ being no sound. Sorry if I'm not making any sense
Quote by pO_Oq
I don't know what kind of cables I have but they came with my used amp. Now when I hit the E string, the sound goes out in the middle of the tone. So it's like RRRRRR*pop*______________*pop*RRRR, the _____ being no sound. Sorry if I'm not making any sense

Makes perfect sense to me - the "R"s are the note the ______ are no sound, and the *pop* is, well, a pop lol

Definitely sounds like a bad cable!
1. Plug a new cable into with your amp and guitar.

2. Try a different guitar.

3. If all those work then try diff cable and amp.
I'd check cable first, then is...

it could be your input jack just from reading what you had said. I'd have some who knows about guitar look at your input jack b/c it may be loose or losing signal.
had the same problem, i heard noises like a radar something really weird. the cables were the problem.
so i tried plugging my electric into the amp and i don't notice any distortions/pops. is it my bass then?
Quote by Sandman61
had the same problem, i heard noises like a radar something really weird. the cables were the problem.

did you get any pings? did you find Red October?

Just kidding.

I woud probably say the cable or the jack.

Good luck, man. Later.
Last edited by neptune1988 at Jul 25, 2008,
A guitar would not ruin a bass amp, however a bass would damage a guitar amp after some use.
Quote by Sephian
I only ever pay 10-15 pounds for a cable and they always break...hmm

I dont pay alot for my cables either however ive yet to break one...
and I use them in the studio every day....coiling them up at the end of the time.
sounds like a cable problem but check it with a good cable just to make sure. Should be no problem with a guitar into a bass amp, dont ever do it the other way around, you plug a bass into a guitar amp your amp will get fried.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.