So, today when I got up and booted up the computer, Windows was (basically) on lockdown. A lot of my icons were gone (not the programs, just the icons.

So, I run AVG.

Meanwhile, all of this extra, weird stuff I was on the desktop. A lot of anti-virus and anti-spyware programs I hadn't downloaded and haven't used. Also, there was this sceen mentioning a virus was found by Windows, but couldn't delete it without downloading something. So I left that link alone.

Also, down beside the time, in the bottom right had corner, it says "VIRUS ALERT!" beside the time.

So, AVG finds the virus mentioned, I delete it, and I finish the scan. Nothing else.

So I restart the computer, just to make sure everything is okay. Well, same old song and dance. Missing/a few weird icons and a lot of stuff is still on lockdown.

Now, what can I do to fix this? All I want is for my computer to return to its usual, loving state, and for all of these shenanigans to be over with.

Thanks in advance.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
inb4buyamac

EDIT: Try system restoring.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Go into safe mode, then execute a virus/spyware scan. Try several different programs, like AVG and avast just to make sure you caught everything.
Google safe mode becuase I'm not 100% how to go into it lol D:
And if worst comes to worst, you can format your HDD (completely wiping it clean)
Quote by RPGoof
Go into safe mode, then execute a virus/spyware scan. Try several different programs, like AVG and avast just to make sure you caught everything.
Google safe mode becuase I'm not 100% how to go into it lol D:
And if worst comes to worst, you can format your HDD (completely wiping it clean)

If system restore doesn't work try this. Spybot and Adaware would be your best bet for free. Otherwise try Kaspersky.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
don't do system restore, it won't get rid of the virus because it only changes settings in some windows files and it wouldn't get rid of anything.

1. back up your data
2. do you have a recovery disk ... or at least a windows disk that came with your computer?
3. if you do: yippie!
4. if you don't: sorry!'

EDIT: getting anti-virus programs wouldn't work. they're ANTI-virus. not virus killer programs or whatever. they're like flu shots. you're protected, but you can't go running around naked.
Sent from my iPad.
I'll try that RPG and Andrew.

Also how would I go about system restoring, and what does it do?

I've heard of it before, but never needed to do it.

Also, I know I can google, but I'm just trying to get soe (kinda) quick answers before I reboot my computer.

Saxo-Walrus

Aww, your computer had a virus? Was it a boy or a girl?

System restore maybe?
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by Ticket48
Aww, your computer had a virus? Was it a boy or a girl?

Nice, you've lived up to your title...

And yeah, go into safe mode, try system restore, and if that doesn't work, reformat.
Just saw paintitblack's post.

No, I don't.

So, just virus search in safe mode and report back?

Saxo-Walrus

That's not a virus, it's adware. Get adware remover or finder. If you have to use a finder, there's a way to go into your computer and delete them forever, but if you delete the wrong thing you can screw your computer over.

I'd suggest asking somewhere else...
Spybot search and destroy and Trojan remover

get them if and if that doesn't work,system restore
Quote by DaysoftheBlue
Spybot search and destroy and Trojan remover

get them if and if that doesn't work,system restore

It says I have to buy spybot.

Will buying it lead to anything bad?

I'm just always cautious of stuff like this.

Saxo-Walrus

google 'highjack this' and see if that helps. Its supposed to identify that crap on your computer and tell you which files you should delete.
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18