Page 1 of 2
trying to decide between these two amps. the marshall would be nice to get considering id have enough money to get the half stack, but the valveking 212 combo would be sweet for the tube amp sound. Probably going to go with the valveking. any suggestions?
Valveking >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MG
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by cfhwarhead
neither. The valve king doesn't really have the "tube" sound

....wut?
Quote by esp1234
....wut?

I think hes trying to say its not a very good tube sound.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
ya valvekings are horrible

traynors or a peavey classic 30 would be much much better

notice i said much twice

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Should put a disclaimer on the top of the forums "Anything Tube > Solid State" (except for some of the Roland SS amps of course)
there is no comparison the VK is vastly superior to the MG.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Valvekings are notorious for having terrible stock parts, although it's still miles better than the MG.
no one has asked what genre he plays? or what hes going to need the amp for? and people are already recommending things?

also again, what is your budget.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Where do you live?

If your in the UK and are after that british rock kinda sound look into Laney, pretty much any of their valve range beats both the MG and VK by miles.
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
Should put a disclaimer on the top of the forums "Anything Tube > Solid State" (except for some of the Roland SS amps of course)

Facepalm. Anyway, yeah in the Uk Laney would be a good choice, in the US look into Traynor, or maybe a Peavey Classic 30.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Neither they both suck. Any more information like max budget and what you play would be useful.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by TubeAmpGuy

no, because thats simply not true, its just another GG&A bandwagon.

the MG is absolutely awful, i've never played through the head version but i've recorded a band whose guitarist used one and it sounded just the same as the 100 watt combo which i was unfortunate enough to have to try my fender cyclone through before i bought it.

Never tried the Valveking, so just listen to what everyone else has to say, i guess.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube
no, because thats simply not true, its just another GG&A bandwagon.

the MG is absolutely awful, i've never played through the head version but i've recorded a band whose guitarist used one and it sounded just the same as the 100 watt combo which i was unfortunate enough to have to try my fender cyclone through before i bought it.

Never tried the Valveking, so just listen to what everyone else has to say, i guess.

GG&A? Anyway, I've never heard a solid state amp that sounded better than a tube amp, excpept for when I couldn't recognize the difference. How is this not true?
Quote by UpTheIrons!
Facepalm. Anyway, yeah in the Uk Laney would be a good choice, in the US look into Traynor, or maybe a Peavey Classic 30.

Dont you find it a little annoying when every second thread is somebody asking about an MG series amp? I guess this is more of a kids forum.

If you're going to play electric guitar you should plan to get a nice tube amp. This is obviously just my opinion but you will never be satisfied with your tone for very long unless you get a decent amp with TUBES.
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
GG&A? Anyway, I've never heard a solid state amp that sounded better than a tube amp, excpept for when I couldn't recognize the difference. How is this not true?

Guitar Gear & Accessories.

Most solid state amps on the market nowadays are pretty bad. They're low quality, cheap and aimed at beginners. But that doesn't mean every solid state amp would be bad, they aren't. Some are really good. Also, you shouldn't compare SS amps to tube amps that cost a lot more, that's just not fair.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Guitar Gear & Accessories.

Most solid state amps on the market nowadays are pretty bad. They're low quality, cheap and aimed at beginners. But that doesn't mean every solid state amp would be bad, they aren't. Some are really good. Also, you shouldn't compare SS amps to tube amps that cost a lot more, that's just not fair.

Some are better than others yeah. I guess they work for some people. I actually really like the tone produced by many of them. I just can't stand to hear them played loud for very long. Begins to sound very annoying. With tubes turning it up just makes it sound better.
Welcome to the most one-sided arguement since somebody said 'So, this guy fawkes fellow - Do we let him off, or what?'
the MG is a beginners' amp - nothing more. I've had my mg50dfx for 2 years, and I've pretty much run out of versatility with it this summer.
The valveking is far superior in pretty much every area - valves of solid state, tone, build quality - The only way in which it loses ground is that its' made in China while the MG's an indian job. And in terms of price? There's not much in it, either. So just do whats sensible - and besides, a valveking 212 will do you plenty for 90% of what you'll need.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
You know the topic starter should have stayed around for a bit longer.
If I HAD and was FORCED to choose, then the VK....otherwise, save up some more, and get a Traynor YCV50
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by timzee117
ya valvekings are horrible

traynors or a peavey classic 30 would be much much better

notice i said much twice

valvekings are not horrible.

you are a very silly child. quiet you.
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
Dont you find it a little annoying when every second thread is somebody asking about an MG series amp? I guess this is more of a kids forum.

If you're going to play electric guitar you should plan to get a nice tube amp. This is obviously just my opinion but you will never be satisfied with your tone for very long unless you get a decent amp with TUBES.

I plan on getting a Roland Jazz Chorus, or may a Lab Series amp some day. I'm pretty sure I would be satisfied with their tone. All solid states =/= MG, Spider.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by Brendan.Clace
If I HAD and was FORCED to choose, then the VK....otherwise, save up some more, and get a Traynor YCV50

You seen the YCS50 model yet?
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
You seen the YCS50 model yet?

nuh-uh...... but I sure as hell am about to go look!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Korzack

The valveking is far superior in pretty much every area - valves of solid state,

you mean OVER ss right?

At least the TS is asking about a valve amp to compare with in price range vs running out ang buying the MG without asking someone first. If I were him/her I'd get a list going of at least 5 amps to look at new and used and play thru as many as possible and come back here and ask more questions.
I have an MG100HDFX halfstack and I used to have a Valve King 212.

Both amps need EQd right before they'll sound good in my opinion.

Otherwise they both sound very harsh, brash, raunchy, and nasty.

If you know what you're doing, you can get both to sound pretty decent. Not the tone of the GODs or anything...... but still decent and gig-worthy.

Here's my Valve King 212 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4fXrhoRW4c

And here's my MG100HDFX half-stack video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbwr_1_bm2U
Quote by willswilly
valvekings are not horrible.

you are a very silly child. quiet you.

Quiet you July 08'er. Valvekings are pretty bad. You probably just don't know what a GOOD tube amp can sound like.

TS, don't get either. Get a used Mesa F-30.
Valvekings arent bad at all there just a budget tube amp... Too many people compare these amps to Soldanos and dont take into account its a $400 tube amp.. What do you expect god himself to come out and play the solo for you...

Over an MG I would pick it in a heart beat... and i did pick it over a MG in fact... I wanted a new tube amp to start with to see if i liked it with a warranty and had a budget of $500 or less. I had the money to purchase a $2000 amp but why would i do that when im still a beginner and dont even know if i would dig a tube amp...

It still baffles me that people put these amps in a class of amp 80% of the poeple on this board cant afford to begin with...
Quote by IbanezPsycho

It still baffles me that people put these amps in a class of amp 80% of the poeple on this board cant afford to begin with...

I know some people do that, but I try not to. If the TS is willing to pay the amount for a new VK212, then he has enough money to get something much better. Sure, for $400 th VK is great for people that need tons of versatility and some OK tone but the halfstack and 212 version are worthless IMO. Just like the large versions of the MG and Spider. Granted the VK has better tone.
Quote by cfhwarhead
neither. The valve king doesn't really have the "tube" sound

play at VK at over 5 with a nice cab and OD and EQ and then tell me it doesn't have a tube sound
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by MurphyG19
Probably going to go with the valveking. any suggestions?

Yes, tell us your budget, what genre of music, and where you live. That way we can send someone to slap you for ignoring your thread.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quiet you July 08'er. Valvekings are pretty bad. You probably just don't know what a GOOD tube amp can sound like.

TS, don't get either. Get a used Mesa F-30.

also, quiet you july 06'er

and not only is a used F-30 over budget, they are incredibly hard to find.

also you are an idiot, the head version is the only VK worth it. it is not to be compared to the MG
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Last edited by pmeg568c at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I know some people do that, but I try not to. If the TS is willing to pay the amount for a new VK212, then he has enough money to get something much better. Sure, for $400 th VK is great for people that need tons of versatility and some OK tone but the halfstack and 212 version are worthless IMO. Just like the large versions of the MG and Spider. Granted the VK has better tone.

I agree to an extent, but nothing is worthless.... If you like the way something sounds and plays then to you it is not worthless. I have the Head version and would recommend that over a combo if your ever planing on buying another amp. A good cab will last a lifetime your combo will not... A beginner amp is just that a beginner amp and sooner or later your going to get rid of it. With the head version you have the option to sell just the amp and keep the cab or do what im doing and run the amp in stereo with another amp as a filler. Its all how you look at things...
Page 1 of 2