I'm having some trouble deciding what i want to do and was wondering if I could get some feedback from UG. I've been playing guitar for 3 years, violin for 7, and piano for 5, and I've starting composing and taking theory lessons. I really have a passion for music and I would love to go into it but my parents keep trying to turn me away from it because my mom is a composer and she says unless I get lucky I will have a hard time making any money at all and she thinks I would do better in science. I'm 16 btw as a point of reference.

In some ways I agree with her because I know from meeting some famous jazz guitarists that it is a very hard field and i do also have a high interest in science but nothing like music. What do you guys say on this subject? Would going into composition and guitar performance be good and teaching on the side while I right, if I can even get a teaching job. Or would majoring in something else be better while music be something I work at and hope someday it might take me somewhere? I'm just asking out of curiosity I'm not necessarily coming to the Pit for career advice haha :P
music doesnt always lead to a successful career, but i will say it could be the source of much happiness
I see no sign of fortress.
if you dont do what makes you happy, then you'll never be happy.
if i were you i would give lessons and do session work until your own stuff gets some serious attenion.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
True success is measured by satisfaction and reward, not monetary income.

I'll just leave it at that.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
try a career in science and music as a hobby. my uncle is a pro and semi-famous jazz drummer and he still has a day job as some kind of scienist
Quote by Ross724
whats harder than nailing a dead baby to a tree

nailing a live baby to a dog
Do what you wanna do...
You dont need the pit's guidence on this one...
Who cares if yur happy and making sh!thouse money, or if yur happy and making ton's.

The point is is that yur Happy

(BTW...my gay moment of the day )
My signature has doubled...
Yeah money isn't important to me its the fact that science is a bit easier to become well known in your field and you have more security in your job positions, but at the same time I'm not exactly passionate in it, I find it very interesting but not like music. I don't know if I could force myself through school with a major in like biomedical engineering when I know I would love music so much more.
do music- if you put everything into it then it will pay off in some way
dont worry about money, things always sort themselves out just stick at it
try and make friends with people in the music industry. My sister introduced me to a few people in their late 20s who have been very helpful, one of them will put out any music i give him

you could always base your music on your interest in science- im working on a space theme for my next cd
now extra flamey
Beat your head against the wall until you get a nose bleed.

Take picture of said nosebleed.

Put picture of nosebleed on your first album.

?????????????/

PROFIT!!!
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
Quote by Xiaoxi

+100
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Why don't you combine the two? The science behind acoustics? Study the harmonic relationships between the wavelengths of different notes. And then use that knowledge to make an album that will make peoples head explode at the climax.
Erm... Do you enjoy science?

'Cause if you do, I'd say choose science as a proffesion and do music, compose and gig for a hobby. You get the best of both worlds then. But then again, this is only my opinion, and what I'll be doing.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Beat your head against the wall until you get a nose bleed.

Take picture of said nosebleed.

Put picture of nosebleed on your first album.

?????????????/

PROFIT!!!

this isn't 4chan lol

Erm... Do you enjoy science?

'Cause if you do, I'd say choose science as a proffesion and do music, compose and gig for a hobby. You get the best of both worlds then. But then again, this is only my opinion, and what I'll be doing.

Yeah thats the thing, I enjoy science a lot as well, but i'm not as passionate about it. My parents are also trying to get me to stay away from music as a profession because it is really hard to make it in. And though doing science as my PhD and having music as something for fun is good, but I don't think i'd be fully satisfied until I have success with the music, not the science.

That is exactly my view on it, though at the same time, as my mom puts it, you can't focus on composing and playing when your starving. This is all confusing haha.
I'm having similar thoughts as you right now. Music is really the only thing I'm interested in studying and pursuing yet it does seem risky. I say you should go for music, at least you have a backup plan to study science if it doesn't work out for you.
Other Jobs will come up other then Music. Music is a hobby and a passion, so don't get upset if it dosent land you a job you want.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by heavyairship
if you dont do what makes you happy, then you'll never be happy.
if i were you i would give lessons and do session work until your own stuff gets some serious attenion.

Session work is probably more difficult... You have to be able to play very difficult music on sight, and possibly do a take with minimal or no rehearsal. It's not easy at all.
EDIT:
If you work your arse off, there's no reason you can't make a career out of music, but it's not going to be easy, whatever musical path you take.
You can always do something on the side, like playing jazz guitar or the blues at coffee places, get tips, etc.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal