Would doing things like down picking then up picking scales lead to faster alternate picking? I up picked chromatic scales slowly in 16ths from 70 to 80 bpm for about a week or two, I think it helped my alternate picking speed a bit, but it did nothing for my string crossing abilities. Is it best to just keep on doing 1 note per string picking exercises (outside and inside) between 2 strings, then 2 notes per string (I do pentatonic box positions in a 3 strings at a time pattern, only starting with an upstroke because it's more difficult) and 3 note per string scale fragments and sequences or should I add in strict down and up picking of these and other patterns? If I should add this to my routine, wouldn't it make my alternate picking sloppy (because my right hand would definitely be tired)?
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
um,... picking up then down IS alternate picking...
also, whatever works. try looking into steve vai's 10 hour work out, i use some of his techniques and theyve helped a bunch.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
um,... picking up then down IS alternate picking...
also, whatever works. try looking into steve vai's 10 hour work out, i use some of his techniques and theyve helped a bunch.

i think he means doing up up up up etc and then doing down down down down etc on the scale.

I think I read somewhere that it's a good exersise. Whatever works, you know?
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
I know what I alternate picking is, I'm asking if strictly down (all downstrokes) or strictly up (all upstrokes) picking things that I normally alternate pick would improve my overall alternate picking speed.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Quote by Baasoromyuu
I know what I alternate picking is, I'm asking if strictly down (all downstrokes) or strictly up (all upstrokes) picking things that I normally alternate pick would improve my overall alternate picking speed.

I highly doubt it, because when you go from doing that excercise to strict alternate picking, your wrist will have to adjust to the new movement; i.e. stopping the hand so it can go the opposite direction. It may sound like a good idea at first, but I am always suspicious of these types of practice techniques.

I believe that the only way to improve alternate picking is by focusing on correcting any flaws in your technique you already have, and by playing slowly and strictly to a metronome.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Resi once recommended spending a week doing only upstrokes. Certainly, most people have crappy upstrokes and it could help a fair bit to work on them, but i don't really know because I never did it myself.

Btw, i'd recommend learning a small etude like Moto Perpetuo that covers almost every variation on simple picking (3note per string, 2nps, 1nps...) and is fun to play. If your string crossing is sloppy, check out the spider exercises in the Ultimate-Guitar-Pro-Exercises thread.