Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a new guitar set up (Fender Strat + Vox Valvetronix AD30VT) but I may have to cut down on the price of the practice amp. I like to a variety of genres and would really like to have both good cleans and distortions. I may consider getting the Roland Micro Cube ($150) vs the Vox Valvetronix ($250) and wanted any advice if that's a good idea? Money is mainly the issue, but I don't really play metal at all (which I've heard the Cube is good at) as I play more clean "acoustic" songs and some rock as well. Should I stick to the Vox Valvetronix or will the Roland Micro Cube suffice? I'll be upgrading from a Squier Strat + Crate 15W Amp and want something versatile (with lots of effects and stuff) that sounds good and will keep me interested in playing .

Thanks!
I'd probably go for the Vox as well. I have the AD15VT, and while the distortion settings leave a bit to be desired, in that they feel sort of electronic and never achieve truely high levels of gain without sounding ridiculous or artificial, but the clean settings sound pretty good. I haven't used a Microcube in a while, but to my memory it didn't sound as good clean. Also, both amps have a decent array of effects included, and I've been pretty satisfied with the tweak-ability of the effects on my Vox.
That being said, why don't you just buy the AD15VT? It's just like the 30 but a little bit quieter, but since you're comparing this to a Microcube, volume shouldn't be a huge issue, right?
Quote by Merzhost
I'd probably go for the Vox as well. I have the AD15VT, and while the distortion settings leave a bit to be desired, in that they feel sort of electronic and never achieve truely high levels of gain without sounding ridiculous or artificial, but the clean settings sound pretty good. I haven't used a Microcube in a while, but to my memory it didn't sound as good clean. Also, both amps have a decent array of effects included, and I've been pretty satisfied with the tweak-ability of the effects on my Vox.
That being said, why don't you just buy the AD15VT? It's just like the 30 but a little bit quieter, but since you're comparing this to a Microcube, volume shouldn't be a huge issue, right?

Ah the reason I wanted the AD30VT over the AD15VT was because it comes with the attenuator, which I figure would be nice to have, along with the increased wattage for about $50 more. I'll be mainly using this amp as a practice amp and may once in a blue moon play a small gig when I get good .
The AD30 is alright for small gigs and great for practice. It has good rock tones and the cleans are very nice. I have used it miked up for small gigs. I wouldn't advice it though. It pants in the tone department when cranked high enough for bigger stuff. Good choice for you though.
Even though money is the issue, go with the Vox. You'll be happier with the tones in the long run. Beautiful cleans, I love my AD50VT for them.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Hmmm yeah I guess I'll lean towards the Voxs. Are the Vox Valvetronixs built well though? I've heard some things about them being faulty and not being sturdy enough (i.e. for transport and such).
Have you seen the chrome metal grill?
Don't worry about that, my 30 has put up with a few years of transport, including being rained on and falling out of the back of an SUV. The 15's are less reliable than the 30's. And it can do metal just fine, but you might want an EQ pedal to get rid of some of the fizzy-ness that comes with the high gain.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Hmm, I'd probaly go with the vox, better made and better tone, worth the money. Would anyone suggest me getting an ad50vt or fender super champ for practice and small gigs?
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Did you buy the AD30VT or the cube?
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK