hey guys i would like to know a bunch of effects that would help me achive a good hard rock metal and numetal lead tone. and also if some one could recommend me a decent high out put pick up for the bridge i was looking into a sh8 invader but i dnt know please help
Well, what guitar and amp do you have?
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
People tend to hate the invader and think it is muddy sounding. For those genres you will probably get EMGs or Blackouts. An EQ is always a good pedal, some reverb or delay is good for making the treble sound a bit sweet, thats all i got for now.
First the invader is a great PUP, also look at a dimebucker, or seymour jb. For a pedal, the boss metal zone is freakin sweet i think. also check at a blues driver or something like that
Quote by supe18
First the invader is a great PUP, also look at a dimebucker, or seymour jb. For a pedal, the boss metal zone is freakin sweet i think. also check at a blues driver or something like that

Fail.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by supe18

That is, if your rig is worth 5 grand...

I like a subtle delay and reverb for leads.

And what amp do you have?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
compression, reverb, delay, boost, EQ?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
$10 says he plays a Spider, MG, Ibanez Toneblaster, or some other P.O.S practice amp and the answer to his question is "get a new amp".
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
$10 says he plays a Spider, MG, Ibanez Toneblaster, or some other P.O.S practice amp and the answer to his question is "get a new amp".

Don't be so narrow-minded please.

But hrdcore is partially right. If you don't have a good amp, your tone will blow goats.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
True fact: the core of you tone doesn't come from your effects...

Tone is:

50%- Your hands, if your lead playing sounds like ****, this is *probably* the source. Everyone wants to blame theyre gear but I can now achieve far better sounds through ****ty 15 watt Crate practice amps than I ever could when I first started. Part of that is that I now know how to tweak amp settings to get something sorta decent, but the biggest part is in the fingers.

30%- Amp: if you're pretty convinced your technique isn't the problem you could be right. Amplifiers (realistically including preamps, EQs and Distortions here as well) determine the timbre of the notes being played and assuming the timbre is the problem (rather than technique) then this could be the sorce)

15%- Guitar: This stat assumes that the guitar isn't an utter heap of ****. So long as the neck isn't twisted, the action SKY HIGH, the intonation way off, etc. then this can still determine the core of your timbre and more importantly sustain and harmonic tonality. A compressor (effect) could be considered as a "patch" for this as they greatly improve both sustain and harmonics, however they also add noise and good ones (Keeley & MXR, or rack mounts) are expensive.

5%- Effects: Unless it's one of them I've already mentioned all other effects are just that" for effect. They really help shock and awe and they help create signature sounds, but sounds are not really tones... Delay only repeats the tone your getting, Reverb smears it around like an echo in a stadium, phaser, flanger, tremolo and chorus just modulate specific properties of the tone. The best effects actually change the core tone very little...

All that being said it's perfectly valid to say that effects can tide you over until you can afford that Marshall JCM 800, Vox AC30, or Fender Twin Reverb you've always wanted. Personally I'd recommend a good overdrive (Boss BD-2 blues driver, MXR Wylde overdrive, Ibanez Tubescreamer) and possibly a compressor... Probably an MXR Dyna Comp as Keeley Compressors are expensive ($200 range, worth every cent though).
Quote by wolfy808
Don't be so narrow-minded please.

But hrdcore is partially right. If you don't have a good amp, your tone will blow goats.

Narrow- minded?

Anyway, I was just pointing out that with threads like these, the OP normally has a lame practice amp, expects to achieve a great tone using pedals, and we explain that a new amp makes a much, much bigger and more positive difference.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Narrow- minded?

Anyway, I was just pointing out that with threads like these, the OP normally has a lame practice amp, expects to achieve a great tone using pedals, and we explain that a new amp makes a much, much bigger and more positive difference.

Yes, Narrow-minded. It's like you expect every thread like this one to come from a total noob (and the TS has been on UG for almost a year). No offense to you man, just thought that statement was quite intolerant.

More on topic, We do need to know what gear you use so we can suggest new pickups, new amp, pedals etc. etc.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Last edited by wolfy808 at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by RadioMuse
True fact: the core of you tone doesn't come from your effects...

Tone is:

50%- Your hands, if your lead playing sounds like ****, this is *probably* the source. Everyone wants to blame theyre gear but I can now achieve far better sounds through ****ty 15 watt Crate practice amps than I ever could when I first started. Part of that is that I now know how to tweak amp settings to get something sorta decent, but the biggest part is in the fingers.

30%- Amp: if you're pretty convinced your technique isn't the problem you could be right. Amplifiers (realistically including preamps, EQs and Distortions here as well) determine the timbre of the notes being played and assuming the timbre is the problem (rather than technique) then this could be the sorce)

15%- Guitar: This stat assumes that the guitar isn't an utter heap of ****. So long as the neck isn't twisted, the action SKY HIGH, the intonation way off, etc. then this can still determine the core of your timbre and more importantly sustain and harmonic tonality. A compressor (effect) could be considered as a "patch" for this as they greatly improve both sustain and harmonics, however they also add noise and good ones (Keeley & MXR, or rack mounts) are expensive.

5%- Effects: Unless it's one of them I've already mentioned all other effects are just that" for effect. They really help shock and awe and they help create signature sounds, but sounds are not really tones... Delay only repeats the tone your getting, Reverb smears it around like an echo in a stadium, phaser, flanger, tremolo and chorus just modulate specific properties of the tone. The best effects actually change the core tone very little...

All that being said it's perfectly valid to say that effects can tide you over until you can afford that Marshall JCM 800, Vox AC30, or Fender Twin Reverb you've always wanted. Personally I'd recommend a good overdrive (Boss BD-2 blues driver, MXR Wylde overdrive, Ibanez Tubescreamer) and possibly a compressor... Probably an MXR Dyna Comp as Keeley Compressors are expensive ($200 range, worth every cent though).

I think your amp makes up more than 30% of your tone, if we can even deduct the actual percentages of all the aspects.
^It depends on how you define tone... Technically your amp makes up about 75% of your timbre, which, by definition would be tone...

But speaking in a "my tone on guitar sucks, what should I buy to improve it?" sorta big picture, other elements that make up the signature "tone" of a player have to be accounted for. Believe me, Zach Wylde would sound nothing like Eric Clapton even if they were using the EXACT same set up. Favored techniques, like wrist vibrato or pinch harmonics are simply too important to count out as not being "tone".

To truely experienced players though, you're right. I just use this system to explain why gear isn't always, and in fact is almost never, the problem.
sorry that i didnt reply earlier i have a hartke 100 watt combo and a shecter omen six but i am getting a tube amp very soon
Well I've heard worse. I'd say work on wrist vibrato and maybe get a compressor and/or overdrive... Visual Sound Route 66 petals have both in one, though personally I found the overdrive to be too fuzzy on that.