My guitar isnt exactly sounding the way I want it to so I've decided to buy new pickups for it. I have a Squire strat, and well really it sucks but i cant afford a better guitar. I like to play alot of Blues, Clapton, Pink Floyd etc. but i really dont know what kind of pick ups to buy. I dont know if i should but i could get humbuckers as i have the tools to do that too.
yeah, upgrade that MG first.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
yeah, upgrade that MG first.

Yep, save up for a little tube amp, or maybe a Roland Cube or something. Your amp really affects your sound the most, and the little Marshalls (MG series) are are generally considered to be bad.

Try out some new amps first, and if you like those more, save up for them. You won't regret it!
Saint Louis Blues
Ah okay thanks, and do you think it would be good if i got a telecaster in the future?
Quote by shigaruvolt
Ah okay thanks, and do you think it would be good if i got a telecaster in the future?

Yeah, Teles are cool! If you want to play Clapton a Fender Strat may serve you a little better (since that's what Clapton used), but Teles are still solid guitars.
Saint Louis Blues
For a great startin' bluesy screamin' sound get a small (but when I say small I mean TINY WINY) tube amp, like 15 or 20 watts, that you will be able to crank up on the clean channel, that'S when a strat really shines, if you can get your hands on a fender champ or something like that (but keep in mind that it shouldn't be a hybrid amp, screw them transistors you only need 4 knobs, volume-bass-middle-treble). Go all-in for a good sounding clean and you will wet your pants once you turn that knob to 11 and let the dust lift off the ground.

Once that's done (probably and very efficiently for less than 250 $ if used). You can check out some pickups, but an amp would really be great. Clapton once said in an interview that one of his favorite 'home' amps was an old champ in their native years, he could crank it up and really get that sweet saturation tone that his strat would really put to good use.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Gäbe
For a great startin' bluesy screamin' sound get a small (but when I say small I mean TINY WINY) tube amp, like 15 or 20 watts, that you will be able to crank up on the clean channel, that'S when a strat really shines, if you can get your hands on a fender champ or something like that (but keep in mind that it shouldn't be a hybrid amp, screw them transistors you only need 4 knobs, volume-bass-middle-treble). Go all-in for a good sounding clean and you will wet your pants once you turn that knob to 11 and let the dust lift off the ground.

15 watts is tiny? I've got a 5 watt amp!

And it's only got a volume knob! (But it does go up to 12, like for real!) But it's a good little amp, I'd recommend it for blues/classic rock.

TS, how much are you willing to spend?
Saint Louis Blues
Get a Fender Champ or Epiphone Valve Jr. combo and a compressor... A Keeley if you can come up with $200 (EEKS) or an MXR Dyna Comp ($70).

Use the volume control on the compressor to further boost the signal, thus overdriving the amp. Additionally it'll give you the sustain, even at bedroom levels, to make your guitar SING.

As for pickups it's a good upgrade... GFS or Mighty Mites are excellent options in a realistic price range:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/64sttegrbosu.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/MIGHTY-MITE-FENDER-STRAT-GUITAR-PICKUPS-ALNICO-MATCHED_W0QQitemZ330254917442QQihZ014QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/MIGHTY-MITE-FENDER-STRAT-PICKUPS-MATCHED-SET-ALNICO_W0QQitemZ230274873505QQihZ013QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If there's anything you should take away from this post though is that you're going to adore a compressor. You're really going to want one. At high volumes where notes turn into controlled feedback they're really not very useful, but at bedroom or even studio levels they breath life into "clean" playing in a way that just has to be experienced.