So as i was looking for some wiring diagrams for my telecaster build... i came across this:

So, i got a standard wiring diagram off of seymour duncan and added this tone switch mod... Did i get it right? And will this work as it says it will? This is the finished diagram:

Thanks!
Last edited by play th' geetar at Jul 24, 2008,
Hell, give it a go. It'll be interesting to try. Either way, use better tone caps (like orange drops or mallory 150's) than the ****ty ones that came with the guitar.
It'll work I put a switch like this in my tele but I toggle between .04 and .02.
Not taking any online orders.
And how do u like it? Does it give the wah wah, or is that just the cap selection? I was thinking that i would still want a .047 to get the regular tele tone pot... Which cap is the "wah wah" one? i think im going to have that one and a .047...
but which capacitor makes the "wah" sound? And if i moved the pot back and forth, would it be like a wah wah pedal?
Quote by play th' geetar
And how do u like it? Does it give the wah wah, or is that just the cap selection? I was thinking that i would still want a .047 to get the regular tele tone pot... Which cap is the "wah wah" one? i think im going to have that one and a .047...

I like it a lot.

The bigger the cap the more it filters off. So going to a .1 cap takes out the majority of the guitar tone. That is the "wah" cap. It's like rolling the wah all the way back so you are not getting any of the high end or midrang, just the bass.

In my opinion, .1 is too big and .001 is too small. A .001 cap is small enough that even with the tone knob all the way down you will have to struggle to hear that the tone knob had made any difference at all. I would suggest going with a .047 and a .01 cap if you want a dramatic difference when you toggle between the two, or if you want a sublt but noticeable change then use a .047 and .022 cap.
ok, so if i had a .1 cap in there, moving the knob between 0 and 10 wouldnt make it sound like a wah pedal? And i definatly want the "wah" kind of sound, so shouldn't i use a .047 and something closer to .1??? Like a .068??

What im saying is that the .01 you suggested is going towards the "subtle" tone knob so shouldnt i use something higher than .047...
Quote by play th' geetar
ok, so if i had a .1 cap in there, moving the knob between 0 and 10 wouldnt make it sound like a wah pedal? And i definatly want the "wah" kind of sound, so shouldn't i use a .047 and something closer to .1??? Like a .068??

What im saying is that the .01 you suggested is going towards the "subtle" tone knob so shouldnt i use something higher than .047...

It's not a wah. It's just a switch that switches between different capacitors.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by play th' geetar

The switch doesn't work the way you think it does.

You are only ever using 1 cap at a time. When you have the switch pulled out you use the .1 cap and the tone controll filters out all of your high end and all of your midrange. When you push the pot in it'll use the .001 cap and the tone controll will only filter off the really really high stuff. Changing the value of the .001 cap will not have any effect on the tone when you have the switch pulled out, changing the .047 cap won't have any effect on tone when the switch is pushed in. They are compleatly independant.

Saying that using a .1 cap gives you a wah sound is very misleading. It doesn't really give you a wah sound at all. It's like the opposite of a wah. It'll still function like a regular tone knob but it'll filter off even more of your tone.
so if i had the .1 cap: the tone knob at 10 would be normal and the closer to 0 the knob goes, the bassier it gets...now i get what your saying...

if i had a .047 on one side of the switch, would you reccomend getting a lower or higher value for the other side??? Like a .068 or a .022
^I'd go smaller. .022 is what I have on my guitar but i'm thinking about dropping it down to .01.
Quote by Ikey
you might be interested in researching the palm wah often put in vox guitars
http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/voxUltrasonic.php

ive never used one so i dont know what they are like

sorry i cant help answer your questions, i just come in this forum for fun

Thats pretty cool, but i dont think im goin to do it, maybe on the next guitar...

and ill go with .047 and .01 for the caps

THANKS!!!
And so i dont have to make another thread, can you guys check to see if my diagram is correct? It is a standard tele wiring with a phase switch and capacitor switch on push/pull pots...