Hey everyone, I'm looking to replace the stock tubes that came with my Laney VC30 because there quite harsh and trebley. I'm looking to get a more warmer sound from the amp so decided it would probably get the tubes replaced. The tubes are 3xECC83 and 4xEL84, Would it be best to do a whole re-tube or just the pre-amps? What manufacturer would give a nice, warm bluesy tone?

Thanks for anyones help!!
I'm surprised you're getting a bad sound out of a VC30. What guitar are you using?

If you're sure it's the valves that are the issue (i.e. you've tried twiddling everything else) then I'd start by changing the pre-amp valves first (because they're cheaper). If it's the overdrive that is too tinny, you could try using ECC81s which are the same as ECC83s but with a lower gain but I've never tried this, would be an interesting experiment and they don't cost too much.
Turn the treble down?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
The nature of the amp is quite harsh and trebely, but apparently the stock TADs are pretty good valves, id just look into some jjs or tung-sols to swap out. Check the laney thread out, youll get a pretty good awnser there.
i don't like to hijack peoples threads, but i'm getting the same problem. I turn the treble to 3 and it numbs the harshness a bit but its still there. i have the bright switch engaged because its too muffled sounding without it if i have the treble at 3, but if i turn the treble up and turn bright off, it still sounds harsh. my mids are at 6 and bass at 4.

And its not the guitar that causes it - even my Epiphone Sheraton sounds harsh through it, and thats a gentle, smooth sounding guitar. Teles and strats, oddly enough, sound awesome through it on these settings! its just a bit harsh with humbuckers... which is odd...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 25, 2008,
It's jsut the amp dears, but eqing helps alot, i have a jag with one meg pots and cheapo harsh singles, probably the brighest guitar known to man , but cranking the bass a bit and rolling down the tone on my guitar keeps me satisfied, i tend to just use the neck pickup alone or combined with the bridge so save my ears.

Maybe an EQ pedal in the loop would be a good idea.