I've always played on soild state amps, and now ive decided to upgrade to a tube amp of some sort, but, i dont know much about them, and i plan to go to a few pawn shops and see what they have available,

so i was just hoping UG had some ideas of some models i should look out for (half stacks, combos, anything).

so help would be greatly appreciated UG.
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Age old questions 1 and 2.

1)What type of music do you play?

2)What is your budget?

Without these then no one can recommend anything to you!
What price range and style are you going for?

EDIT: Beaten to it
Quote by AzureNight
Don't worry guys, he's just bitter because he has a small dick.

Quote by Alexander_BR
You know that good feeling when you take a crap, gay sex is like that

Proud member of the Cardboard Mafia. Search "free boxes" for info.
wow, i feel very stupid i left that out, im sorry,

very wide range of music: some metal, and alot of rock, very big chili peppers fan,

also, id like to find something in the $500- $600 range, but, i might be able to go higher if its a must.
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Quote by Xj2252bX
wow, i feel very stupid i left that out, im sorry,

very wide range of music: some metal, and alot of rock, very big chili peppers fan,

also, id like to find something in the $500- $600 range, but, i might be able to go higher if its a must.

look for a used fender hot rod or used fender blues
my friend has one
amazing cleans, good distortion (you'll probably need a pedal), and if you crank he volume past 3 or 4 its loud as a mofo
thanks alot everyone, ill be sure to keep traynor, honestly never heard of that brand before, in mind, and ill remember the hot rod and blues too
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Quote by aedmiston
look for a used fender hot rod or used fender blues
my friend has one
amazing cleans, good distortion (you'll probably need a pedal), and if you crank he volume past 3 or 4 its loud as a mofo

The distortion on those are terrible, but the cleans are awesome.
Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
The distortion on those are terrible, but the cleans are awesome.

Yeah, he's running it through a pedal for the distortion. Not sure what pedal though though.
I think a ValveKing 2x12 combo would be pretty nice for you. But I'll warn you, if the metal you plan on playing is death metal-esque you'll need an overdrive pedal. Other than that, it should cover all of your tonal needs.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443
Quote by AzureNight
Don't worry guys, he's just bitter because he has a small dick.

Quote by Alexander_BR
You know that good feeling when you take a crap, gay sex is like that

Proud member of the Cardboard Mafia. Search "free boxes" for info.
Traynor or Fender... I honestly don't know what people hear in Valvekings (lifeless tone).

If you want a Peavey tube amp go for a Delta Blues, they at least sound alive.
Traynor makes great marshall voiced amps and should be in your budget. Try to find a bass spec Traynor from the 70s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c6VgxNb_y8

That's an old bass spec Traynor YBA head, sick sick tone, sounds just like an early 70s Marshall JMP. Try to find one on ebay, the old plexi marshalls are amazingly versatile and should suit your styles perfectly.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 25, 2008,