I have recently been experiencing problems with my guitar and equipment. First, I thought it was just my wacky 5-way pickup selector. But now its getting worse, to the point where no sound is coming out of my amp. I am screwed! I think it could be my cable, which I foolishly touched to my strings and pickups the other day. Any help? Thanks!
what kind of cable is it, and what kind of ends does it have? Do they screw apart, or is it the kind with the molded rubber boots. Seems most of the time they go bad at the jacks on either end.

Also, touching the strings with the cable shouldn't do anything to the cable. Are you sure it isn't the input jack on your guitar though? Those have a tendency to loosen up and spin, which can break the solder joints after a while.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I have a Squier Stratocaster and Fender Frontman amp, so the cable is the one that comes stock with those two. Not sure what it is unfortunately. But, I think you're on to something about the input jack. It did become very loose and spin around, and I tightened it up with a pair of needlenose pliers and that's when things started going wrong I think.
Yea... if you don't get inside and actually hold the jack itself then when you tighten the nut the jack will spin and break the solder joints...

Sounds like thats what happened and in that case you will need to re-solder the wires inside to the input jack.
yeah, that would do it. Going to need to unscrew the jackplate to get to the actual jack, then like i_am_metalhead said, you'll need to re-solder then use something to hold the actual jack while you tighten the nut so it can't spin.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
That sounds hard. I have something else that's odd to comment about. When I use my friend's cable it works fine!