Hey guys, I need some help here

I know there's alot of ppl that already started this but I neec convictions on some points.

A while ago I started to feel like I was playing like if I was just hittin' notes. I was still trying to play with feeling but nothing.

And then I tried more phasing. Worked a bit but there's still missing something.

And now I think I found my answer. I have no "musical vocabulary".

What I mean since I started to play guitar, the only song I know is stairway to heaven.

"You should have started with learning song" you might say, but I focused myself on technique. You know, speed, accuracy, playing scales.

So right now yes I'm pretty accurate except if you listen to the impros on my profile and my stirway to heaven cover [read my blogs 4 reasons].

So yesterday and today I started trying to create some personnal riffs. Wich kinda sound awesome.

So guys, should I continue developping my vocabulary like that and learn riffs from other songs or kinda continue improvising?
You should learn music theory, the basics and fundamentals. There's a great article of it on this website. Once you get through all that, look up Melodic Control with marty friedman, it really helped my improv a lot.
Quote by beadhangingOne
You should learn music theory, the basics and fundamentals. There's a great article of it on this website. Once you get through all that, look up Melodic Control with marty friedman, it really helped my improv a lot.

I already know kinda alot of theory though.

And yes, I watched that Marty Friedman video. And uh I got confused but it helped me a little bit, not alot... I still can't figure out how he get's in the melody and get's the ontes to play so well.

But after a while, I though he sounded too strict, reminded me of something BucketHead said.

He said about one day he met some guitar players and discussed with them. And then they said that their teacher was teaching them how to make a solo. Then they started to explain like part to part on how to. He was shocked I kinda was shocked too.

But I like to phrase btw chord changes but I still don't get about uh those notes he were going to hit at this chord and that, sounds too directive for me.

Also I can't understand what he's saying sometimes because of my very poor english understanding. I can't understand what people say sometimes, but on paper I understand perfectly.

That's why I would need something written >.>
YOu have to follow the chords you're playing over, that's the most important thing. Now whether you play the "right" notes or the "wrong" notes over a chord is entirely up to you, but what you need to learn is how a particular note is going to sound over the underlying chord.

Different notes will have different effects over a chord, if you play the root or 5th, for example, it'll sound very strong and reinforce the underlying chord. If you play a dominant 7th you'll sound unresolved and everything will just want to get back to the route, if you play a minor 2nd you'll get severe dissonance. All of those choices are equally valid it just all depends on what it is you want to achieve.

When you solo the note you play is only part of it, understanding how that note works with the underlying chord and also the note you just played are the real secret to playing good lead parts.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What i find most important with improvising (well maybe not most but highly important) is having perfect (or as near as) timing. You have to know the song really well and know the part you are going to be improvising over inside out. You have to be able to subconciously hear and register the underlying rhythm, whilst improvising. Once you have that down, you can start to experiment by following the changes and stuff thinkin, i could go here....or whatever.

Well, thats how i learnt to improvise. You also have to remember that , as with everything in life, practice makes perfect. You are not going to be able to pick the guitar up and improvise perfectly the first time you try. Ive been improvising for, actually only a year and im alright at it, but im nowhere near as good as some people. It sounds cliched, but one day i just 'got' it. Im not a theory mogul, ill admit that. I know some very basic stuff but nothing major. everything just clicked one day is all.

Ive been playing for 4 years. For the first 3 i was strictly rhythm. Now i have a very good understanding of timing and so my improvisation is helped alot. I still needed (and still need) to practice though.

Heck, even the greats need to practice sometimes.

just my two cents.
Get "This is the way I do it" by John Mclaughlin. It covers the importance of modes and other features of Jazz improv that would probably translate well into other genres.
Well what you guys talk about seems alright but it's not really what I'm searching

Exept StevenSeagull's explanation, that cleared up things to me.

Though that I already try to follow chods, now I know what Marty Friedman meant and all that.

But there's still missing something.... Like I said, I have no vocabulary. I can't seem to like create melodies because I don't know any riffs or licks. I invented alot since I want to play my own style, but maybe I should take more time to invent and also pratice other bands solos.

btw I found something, pentatonics matches alot with chords. Probably because they are composed of stable notes instead of unstable notes.
Last edited by kevC4 at Jul 25, 2008,
I listened to some of your stuff and it's not bad. You still have some technical
matters to deal with as far as rhythm and timing goes -- IMO, that's where people
tend go way off track quickly. Well timed and and well placed notes done with intent
even if very simple, will sound a lot better than trying complex stuff that you have
no control over. Bends need some work too...

Musical ideas you can get from a lot of places. Either work from existing solos
and apply that back to how people used the scale and rhythms to create phrasing,
or start with scale studies and practice how scales can be used to generate musical
ideas (do both).

I love John McLaughlin and have "This is how I do it". I'm not sure how helpful it
will be. There's certainly some nice ideas you can get out it, but he's more on
the great player/so-so teacher side (at least as far as this video goes). Frequently
when he's analysing one of his improvs he'll say "and this part ... it's just playing".
Yeah, well THANKS John! In any case, it might be a bit advanced, but there are
some nice exercises on it. I think there's better sources if you need that kind of
stuff.