When I first bought it, the tubes were worn out and it sounded horrible... So I fully retubed it with JJ's in the poweramp and tungsols and jj's in the preamp. It sounded better but I'm still very dissapointed. The sound is really MUDDY and the low end is horrible..

I can't think of what the problem could be... My only guess is that maybe the cab has a problem? I know the standard Peavey Cabs suck... but I highly doubt it makes this much difference. My only other idea is that ONE of my preamp tubes is bad... one of the JJ's had a bent part at the top where that small round glass point is... I figured it must have been made this way because glass doesn't bend...

Anyone have any help? I almost like the sound of my other guitarists low end Marshall to my 6505 that ive put so much money into. =[
Quote by DiabloViper
When I first bought it, the tubes were worn out and it sounded horrible... So I fully retubed it with JJ's in the poweramp and tungsols and jj's in the preamp. It sounded better but I'm still very dissapointed. The sound is really MUDDY and the low end is horrible..

I can't think of what the problem could be... My only guess is that maybe the cab has a problem? I know the standard Peavey Cabs suck... but I highly doubt it makes this much difference. My only other idea is that ONE of my preamp tubes is bad... one of the JJ's had a bent part at the top where that small round glass point is... I figured it must have been made this way because glass doesn't bend...

Anyone have any help? I almost like the sound of my other guitarists low end Marshall to my 6505 that ive put so much money into. =[

What positions did you put the preamp JJ's?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
What positions did you put the preamp JJ's?

Im not sure to be honest... I didn't think it mattered too much. Plus im not exactly sure which position is which... im pretty sure it doesnt go in order.
Yes it does. V1 is closest to the input and V5 (v6 in 6505+) is closest to power tubes. Everything else just counts up in between.

The "bent" tube is just how the glass was blown and has nothing to do with the condition of the tube.

How are you EQ'ed?

What are you running in front? In the loop?

You have the stock Peavey cab? Dump that thing ASAP as it will make that nice amp sound crappier.

As for what tubes are where, they will make a difference. Where are they?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
yeah peavey cabs pretty much blow, they are very poor quality, id say get a marshall or mesa with vintage 30's

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Bloodshed
Yes it does. V1 is closest to the input and V5 (v6 in 6505+) is closest to power tubes. Everything else just counts up in between.

The "bent" tube is just how the glass was blown and has nothing to do with the condition of the tube.

How are you EQ'ed?

What are you running in front? In the loop?

You have the stock Peavey cab? Dump that thing ASAP as it will make that nice amp sound crappier.

As for what tubes are where, they will make a difference. Where are they?

Well, my tubes are kinda all over the place... I have 3 Tungsol 12ax7's and 2 JJ High Gain 12ax7's but im not sure where i put them. Where would you recommend each go?

I've messed with the EQ a lot... and thats not whats wrong... All I have in front of it is an ISP decimator but it isnt sucking tone... So, help me out here guys?
Could he have the wrong tube in the phase inverter? I know all the JJ kits have a "balanced" one for that spot.

But before that try a different cab and make sure that isn't the issue.
your guitar might have something to do with it.

not quite as much as misplaced tubes and such. but it might be a small factor in the equation.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
your tubes definitely shouldnt be "all over the place". check if you put them in the right spots(there has to be some kind of indicator). if that doesn't work get an avatar or vader cab and see if that helps

edit: wait so you pretty much have 5 pre-amp tubes in your amp but nothing else? correct me if i am wrong but 12ax7's are pre-amp tubes.
Quote by ironman1478
your tubes definitely shouldnt be "all over the place". check if you put them in the right spots(there has to be some kind of indicator). if that doesn't work get an avatar or vader cab and see if that helps

edit: wait so you pretty much have 5 pre-amp tubes in your amp but nothing else? correct me if i am wrong but 12ax7's are pre-amp tubes.

Well, I obviously have power tubes... 4 JJ 6L6's. I heard mixing preamp tubes in different spots can give you different tones and such, but I don't think putting them in random spots matters. For the most part... =/
Quote by DiabloViper
Well, I obviously have power tubes... 4 JJ 6L6's. I heard mixing preamp tubes in different spots can give you different tones and such, but I don't think putting them in random spots matters. For the most part... =/

It does. Try the Tungsol on the V1, it usually has the largest impact on tone.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Bloodshed

Hoobajooba, Jon. 5150's have completely drugged preamp tube arrangement. Check out some Peavey forums, but it's something like V3, then 5, then 1...something like that. Google will solve that one.

Regardless, TS, I'm going to blame your tubes, and then your cab. JJ's are good tubes...but NOT the answer to every tube question. Frankly, I'm not a fan of all JJ's in the preamp...they tend to get muddy with lots of gain. That's just my experience.