Hi,
I would like to buy a new amp but before trying everything I have a question. I mostly play Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix songs and I know that David Gilmour always used clean amps like Hiwatt. Is the Fender Twin Reverb '65 reissue a good choice for a sound like Gilmour especially from the PULSE tour or is there a huge difference with Hiwatt?

Thanks
Twin Reverbs will do Gilmour-like tone (I myself have a Fender Evil Twin) but will require a good overdrive/distortion and at anything below ear-bleed levels (not something Twins excel at anyway) you'll want a compressor.

If you use effects though (and David often did) the Twin with change the world for you. They'll come through so clean and clean it's amazing. As for distortion I just remembered: David used an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff (Russian model) for the Comfortably Numb solo. Set up for just a light saturation Big Muffs are the Twin's best friend.

The Hiwatt will get you even closer considering the price and availability difference you better be pulling in 6 figures ($100,000+ per year) and have a Hiwatt dealer within 50 miles of where you live for the difference to probably be worthwhile. Then again I've never played though a Hiwatt head (I've played though a couple combos) so take my advice as you will.

A Twin Reverb will get you the tone you're after but probably with more headroom then you'd like. Unless you're playing with a drummer who swings like Keith Moon you should be fine with a Fender Deluxe Reverb, which you'll have to crack (get it up around 7 or 8 on the volume) and dial back to clean using your volume knob... Then again David's sound always had a lot of headroom so the Twin it is.

Just to warn you though, they're the heaviest sons of b!tch@s and they don't fit in any vehicle that isn't a Van or SUV, at least not in anyplace where you'd want a $1200 amplifier sitting.