Page 1 of 2
Searched and got nothing. I don't know where to put him in the Shred forum or the Jazz forum, but since I never go to the Jazz one, I'm gonna start it here. He plays darn fast anyway.

Just got his album The Great Explorers. I'm impressed! I heard it's his most "Satch and Vai" album so I got it, and it's awesome. The melodies are great, lead tone is just awesome, the playing is impeccable and his sweeps are tasteful. Thunder Current is currently my favorite song off the record.

I will definitely look into more of his stuff, thinking about getting Live! and perhaps Truth in Shredding (w/ Allan Holdsworth). You should too if you haven't.

Discuss.
Lost interest.
He's awesome. His teaching style on his instructional videos is funny as hell, yet very effective and easy to understand (like Gilbert). Speed-wise, he's plenty fast but I wouldn't put him in the 'lightning fast' shred category... though his sweeps are indeed cool because you can actually hear each individual note being articulated rather than them sounding like "woop woop woop" all the time (i.e. Fareri and Cooley).

I've got his first 8 albums and I love them all. Really good fusion, and they're so varied! There's the blatant Holdsworth homage of Brave New Guitar and Thunder From Down Under, to the rather standard instrumental rock of (as you mentioned) The Great Explorers, Passages and Coming To Your Senses, and then more recently his sort of acoustic-laden stuff like Thinking Out Loud and Raison d'Être (the latter of which I don't have).

One of these days I intend on adding the band info to the Wiki pages I made for his albums, but it's a bit tricky because each song has different people playing on it. Kinda breaks up the continuity of how I've made all my other pages (Greg Howe, Tony MacAlpine, etc.)

All in all though, you can't go wrong with Frank.
Frank doesn't need to be lightning fast. His sweeps are so articulate and melodic. Like you said, every note rings out! It's amazing!

Stu Hamm is the bassist on The Great Explorers, and it really shows. He kicks ass!
Can't get enough of Frank.
Lost interest.
Quote by ZylitoL
I will definitely look into more of his stuff, thinking about getting Live! and perhaps Truth in Shredding (w/ Allan Holdsworth). You should too if you haven't.

Get Centrifugal Funk instead of Truth In Shredding. It's much better, imo.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance

I'll try both.
Maybe I'll go on to try some Holdsworth and Lane once I've exhausted Frank's stuff.
Quote by Freepower
Frank fries my brain. Sometimes he seems godly, sometimes he seems to be "floop floop" sweeps with no regard for context...

I've yet to hear that but maybe I'm just blinded by his slick sweeps.
Lost interest.
I don't think Frank's sweeps are that bad when he decides to go all-out. He keeps the craziness in check most of the time, and there's still plenty of taste and articulation in those sweeps – unlike modern-day shredders such as (as I keep saying just to make a point) Fareri and Cooley, who just sweep mindlessly with so much gain that it completely muffs up the tone of the notes.

Plus, to me, a sweep just sounds like crap when it reaches a certain speed (hence the [IMO] fitting "woop woop woop" description). I'd rather much take Frank's slower-sounding sweeps over Petrucci's god-awful warp-speed shit in Jaws Of Life or Curve.
Quote by Resiliance

That's the one with Shawn Lane and Brett Garsed isn't it?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Resiliance

Yeah, if you can stand Lane's horrendous over-the-top shredding with awful tone. Other than that, it's pretty good. Not as solid as Truth in Shredding, though. Get 'em both.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's the one with Shawn Lane and Brett Garsed isn't it?

Yes.

Quote by Stratwizard
Yeah, if you can stand Lane's horrendous over-the-top shredding with awful tone. Other than that, it's pretty good. Not as solid as Truth in Shredding, though. Get 'em both.

Tokyo Blue is ten times better a song than all the stuff on Truth In Shredding combined.

As for awful tone... Hello?! Truth In Shredding? Shrapnel productions? Your point is moot
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance

Tokyo Blue is ten times better a song than all the stuff on Truth In Shredding combined.

As for awful tone... Hello?! Truth In Shredding? Shrapnel productions? Your point is moot

Actual Proof is my favourite. I think Lane's tone is still the worst out of all players on both albums.
Tone aside, I think the over-the-top part can be explained here...

http://www.richardhallebeek.com/interviews/lane.php

So Varney went and recorded him doing that Lane's Blitz thing, a warm-up, without even telling him. Muh.
^ yeah, but apart from that, say, Hey Tee Bone (sp?)...it shows Lane in his most "floop floop floop" light. I think that has a lot to do with the other players, the recording situation, and mostly MV himself, tbh. It's certainly not his proudest moment, although he plays some cool licks and all...
Toooookyooooooooooo Blueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Click.
What the **** is so special about Tokyo Blue? It's basically one irritating guitar riff repeated throughout the track with monotonic drums in the background, lame acoustic solo, decent sax solo and that's it. Cut half of the length and you have MEDIOCRE track.
You, sir, are clearly listening with a different set of ears than me, can I lend you mine briefly?

*shrug*

It's a nice guitar riff, some funky bass, great sax and a cool acoustic solo.
Quote by Freepower
You, sir, are clearly listening with a different set of ears than me, can I lend you mine briefly?

*shrug*

It's a nice guitar riff, some funky bass, great sax and a cool acoustic solo.

Have you heard anything else off Centrifugal Funk? 'Cause on Tokyo Blue the bass is almost inaudible and lacks all the "funk" compared to tracks like Elegant People, Actual Proof or Lovestruck.
Quote by Freepower
^ y'know, I still have that mp3 two PCs later, after you sent it to me aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago. Did you ever get the whole thing transcribed?

Nope, I've still got part of it lying around here somewhere though.

Quote by Stratwizard
What the **** is so special about Tokyo Blue? It's basically one irritating guitar riff repeated throughout the track with monotonic drums in the background, lame acoustic solo, decent sax solo and that's it. Cut half of the length and you have MEDIOCRE track.

I think it's a great track and by far the best off the album, in fact incomparable to the rest of the songs on it.

Click.
Okay, fair enough. Anyway, on what album could I find Frank playing something more jazzy? He's almost always regarded as a fusion player but most of his songs I've heard are pretty much instrumental rock with slight jazz influence.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "more jazzy", but I find A Present For The Future to be a perfect blend of jazzy instrumental fusion rock... or something, anyway. Plus, the drums are so cool and punchy in that one! I wish more people would've recorded/would record drums like that.

Then there's also Brave New Guitar which doesn't have much of the instrumental rock/gainy thing going on (I would say light overdrive and not much more, with a whole bunch of tinny sax harmonies thrown on top). More like Holdsworth but less strange.

... Frank does look an awful lot like Joe Pesci, doesn't he?
Last edited by DaFjory at Jul 26, 2008,
So...
I like Truth in Shredding better than Centrifugal funk.

Brave New Guitar is so relaxing and awesome. Listen to that all the time now especially when I have company over (not to degrade it to the status of elevator/lounge music, but I don't really want to blast Kreator or Meshuggah when I have people over =p) and I've gotten some really good feedback. Listening to Credit Reference Blues right now, actually.

I love Frank. Would love to see him @ a guitar clinic or a show.
Lost interest.
Y'all have no taste.

Click.
Quote by ZylitoL
not to degrade it to the status of elevator/lounge music, but I don't really want to blast Kreator or Meshuggah when I have people over =p

So that's why people never come back to my house twice...I thought everyone enjoyed Dancers to a Dischordant System

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Oh ****. Bleed would be perfect to drive annoying hungover people away ahaha.
Lost interest.
Quote by Freepower
^ everyone does. But they prefer Bleed. Or, if they have real taste, Re-Nothing and Chaosphere.

So that's where I've been going wrong! Time for a party!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ZylitoL
Oh ****. Bleed would be perfect to drive annoying hungover people away ahaha.

Long story short -

I used high volume Bleed to drive away a large trapdoor spider that was in the process of attacking my best friends foot while he took a piss.

Awesome.

Btw, whatcha think the lyrics are about? I have a cool summation...
Quote by Freepower
Long story short -

I used high volume Bleed to drive away a large trapdoor spider that was in the process of attacking my best friends foot while he took a piss.

Awesome.

Btw, whatcha think the lyrics are about? I have a cool summation...

LOL. Awesome!

I don't know but I plan to crank it tonight when I get drunk and do my best Jens Kidman vocals!
Lost interest.
Yeah, i recently got in contact with a chap who has the most insanely brilliant JK style vox, and brilliant recording facilities. Waiting till I can stick down some brutal riffs and get him to record some **** over it. Gonna be metal as **** and all about 4 dimensional shapes rotating.
Back to Frank...

Was "Stephanie" the same Stephanie Bennett referred to in the liner notes? His wife at some point, I guess? And what happened to her after Note Worker? He completely stopped mentioning her after that (I assume they either divorced or she died), and then started namedropping a bunch of other women in his following albums. In Passages, he talks about having had a turbulent time... I wonder what happened.

Yeah, I just notice trivial things like that when flipping through the booklets.
Just rapidshare them, especially if you don't know much of his stuff (I'm making an assumption, correct me if I'm wrong). I plan on buying The Great Explorers soon...just don't want to pay 30 dollars for it.
Lost interest.
Frank Gambale - Live! rocks.

Credit Reference Blues is my personal fave off that album.

Anyone?
Lost interest.
Frank gambale's phrasing is of the gods, beautiful beyond words.....
tasteful vibrato too.
Quote by ZylitoL
Frank Gambale - Live! rocks.

Listening to it now, as per your recommendation, but I wish it sounded just a bit more... live? Apart from the actual playing, there doesn't seem to be any difference to his studio albums in terms of atmosphere. I guess small venues don't really allow for that.
Page 1 of 2