Poll: Do You Support Gay Rights?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do You Support Gay Rights?
Yes, i support these rights
413 75%
No, i do not support these rights
102 19%
No opinion
33 6%
Voters: 548.
Page 1 of 9
i live in massachusetts, where gay and lesbian marriage rights are allowed, and i strongly support these rights, however more then half the people in the USA oppose these right.

there have been several posts about this, but i wanna see actual numbers.

EDIT: if you disagree, please say why
EDIT 2: and if youre not in the us, please vote anyway
EDIT 3: for the record im STRAIGHT
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Last edited by koalabacon at Jul 25, 2008,
Support. I even joined the LGBT group here on UG.

First?

Edit: Second
the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
uhh isn't there a huge thread on gays? Go find it, should be at the end of the rainbow.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
uhh isn't there a huge thread on gays? Go find it, should be at the end of the rainbow.

yes but no polls. i want numbers
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

support. why not? you would have to be a pretty sad and weak person to be so easily effected by other people's lifestyle decisions.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
Quote by InvaderTSN
Support. There should be no reason that they aren't allowed to marry.

There is no reason. No reason at all.

Except for xenophobic ignorant sheep.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Do you guys remember the Flat Earth Society that UG had a big feud with a while back? They were a group of people that actually believed the Earth was still flat, and that there was a massive, 500 year-old conspiracy to convince people the Earth was round.

Those people aren't half as stupid or ignorant as any douche-mongering fuckhole that votes against gay marriage.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it
In Thirteen Seconds
It's been thirteen seconds
since you all last said
i've become the apparition
You predicted for my death

Myspace
Quote by koalabacon
i live in massachusetts, where gay and lesbian marriage rights are allowed, and i strongly support these rights, however more then half the people in the country oppose these rights.

more than half? i've rarely known a person who doesn't think they should have the right...
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
gay marriage?
yes, gays should have the right to be miserable just like the rest of us.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Gay Marriage and calling it rights is wrong... Gay marriage is wrong so is every other marriage that doesn't involve a man and a woman. If people allow gay marriages then what does that lead to 50 years down the road? For a man and a child to get married? But its there right to get married if they love each other! Maybe we should allow Horses and women to get married too huh? I do not have a problem with gay people. I do not have a problem with their unions. Why would they want to get married anyway? What would happen if they had kids? Massachusetts is so full of screwed up politicians. It is one of the most liberal states there is. Sorry for the rant I just feel very strong about this.
Quote by Aaron the 4th
To quote Jack Mcoy from Law & Order...
"I think they should be allowed to marry. No reason they shouldn't be as miserable as the rest of us."

EDIT. Damn you SomeoneYouKnew!!!!
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
Quote by cherub_rocker07
more than half? i've rarely known a person who doesn't think they should have the right...

massachusettes and california are the only states that allow it, so i assume...
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

I don't care..
but I think it's better to have people in loving relationships that last, then to be seperate and **** around and spread STD'S and ****.. if that is the case..

Marriage is a good bond, Just because two gay's can't get married, doesn't mean they are going to stop being gay... So not letting them marry is just a dick move..
I've got nothing against it. Besides,if they love each other and don't mind anal penetration,why should we prevent them from getting married as long as our arses remain intact.
Quote by Nirvana6722
Gay Marriage and calling it rights is wrong... Gay marriage is wrong so is every other marriage that doesn't involve a man and a woman. If people allow gay marriages then what does that lead to 50 years down the road? For a man and a child to get married? But its there right to get married if they love each other! Maybe we should allow Horses and women to get married too huh? I do not have a problem with gay people. I do not have a problem with their unions. Why would they want to get married anyway? What would happen if they had kids? Massachusetts is so full of screwed up politicians. It is one of the most liberal states there is. Sorry for the rant I just feel very strong about this.

Because gay marriage is, like hetero marriage, a marriage based on true love (or should be)? Your argument makes no sense and has no grounding. And if it weren't for liberal thinkers we'd still be living in caves talking in "ugh?" "urg urghh".
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
But I do want to marry a horse.

See, that's our ultimate liberal agenda, to degrade society to the level of pure horse-****ing anarchy where we use American flags as toilet paper.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
There aren't any good, non-religious reasons to not legalize gay marriage.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Nirvana6722

in Rome and greece people were allowed to marry there children. and they were some of the strongest empires in the world. the horse things just... no. massachusetts is fine thank you. mitt romney screwed us up.

for a fan of nirvana, youre against these basic rights, dont you know that kurt cobain was bi?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by Aaron the 4th
Hmmm....June 2008. Didn't expect more.
the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
Quote by Nirvana6722

For their legal rights? So they can share their financial benefits and create a household together? So they can adopt children? Among probably a million other reasons that I can't come up with right now.
Quote by ShesLeavingHome
For their legal rights? So they can share their financial benefits and create a household together? So they can adopt children? Among probably a million other reasons that I can't come up with right now.

+1
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Marriage in the eyes of certain religions, is a bond between a man and a woman. I however disagree. I believe gays should have the right to marry. Disallowing this is basically discrimination, basically retrogressing back to the times when black people were segregated. Eventually, a large majority of people realized, "Hey, they're people too."

So hopefully this will happen for the gay population.
Quote by koalabacon
in Rome and greece people were allowed to marry there children. and they were some of the strongest empires in the world. the horse things just... no. massachusetts is fine thank you. mitt romney screwed us up.

for a fan of nirvana, youre against these basic rights, dont you know that kurt cobain was bi?

actually no he wasn't... He said that he WISHED he was gay because he wanted to piss off the kids in his school that were making fun of him for befriending a gay person

and does that mean that you are for children marrying adults? ever heard of someone called a pedophile?
Quote by Aaron the 4th
Quote by Nirvana6722

Cept gay marriage is between two consenting adults.
Wow, quite a liberal poll result. Sorry, no gays, illegals, or abortion for me thanks!
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Quote by Nirvana6722
Gay Marriage and calling it rights is wrong... Gay marriage is wrong so is every other marriage that doesn't involve a man and a woman. If people allow gay marriages then what does that lead to 50 years down the road? For a man and a child to get married? But its there right to get married if they love each other!

This makes no sense. I see your point, but there is no way legal gay marriage would lead to a completely different type of marriage. Children have had limited rights compared to adults for years and it won't change anytime soon.
Maybe we should allow Horses and women to get married too huh?

When was the last time you saw a woman dating a horse?
I do not have a problem with gay people. I do not have a problem with their unions. Why would they want to get married anyway? What would happen if they had kids?

Gay couples adopt already anyways, I see no change here.
Quote by Nirvana6722
actually no he wasn't... He said that he WISHED he was gay because he wanted to piss off the kids in his school that were making fun of him for befriending a gay person

true he did say that, but there was huge speculation that he was bi, from comments, letters, journal entries, etc.

hes considered bi.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by Nirvana6722

and does that mean that you are for children marrying adults? ever heard of someone called a pedophile?

just because i defended doesnt mean i support it. it may seem wrong in our society but back then it was widely accepted as ok.

just because society and culture our looks down upon it doesnt mean its wrong to everyone. obviously rome and greece supported it and they were very powerfull empires.

think outside of the box
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Yes, I am for gay marriage.

If marriage is more of a religious thing, and I'm sure some religions forbid gay marriage, then I think that's up to the religious organization, however, they can deal with that, not the government.

I don't see any reason why there cannot be secular versions of things like marriages and things like that.

Plus, I don't think gay people choose to be that way. I believe they can't help but feel sexually attracted to the same sex in the same way I can't help but feel sexually attracted to the opposite sex.

And really, I think it would be horrible to ban homosexual behavior, so if they really want to get married, damn, just let them get married. Is it really so f*cking harmful to allow them the same rights as heterosexuals?
Quote by Nirvana6722

Slippery slope is always a rhetorical no no. Those kinds of arguments just don't relect real life sensibilities often enough to be valid.

My question is why should a marriage be both religous and state sponsered? Seems a little un-secular in my book. We should either A) give all couples (straight or gay)legal unions and preserve marriage as an entirely religous institution. Or make it a legal right which must be equally available to all citizens. To not do so is religion-based discrimination of certain groups and IMO blatently unconstitutional in the US.

Personally I'd rather we did away with it all together. In the western world it's basically nothing more than the remains of an ancient business contract for the selling (whether it's for property, prestige, politics, etc) of a woman from her father to another man. The rituals of a typical Christian wedding only emphasize this.
Quote by Nirvana6722
Gay Marriage and calling it rights is wrong... Gay marriage is wrong so is every other marriage that doesn't involve a man and a woman.

I disagree. In America (I honestly don't know about all the other countries) Marriage is a liberty. Or was. A liberty, is a something you can do without government control. And as stated in the pledge of allegience, "Liberty and Justice for all."
If marriage were still a Liberty, Gay marriage would be allowed, but it's not, therefore it can't be called a Liberty. As far as the word "Justice" goes; the key word is "Just" as in being fair. Justice for all? I disagree. The straight population is allowed to marry, but the gay population isn't? Is this justice? No.

But now, moving onto the word "Right" as in the government. Straight people have the right to get married, however gay's do not? Isn't this country equal rights?

If people allow gay marriages then what does that lead to 50 years down the road? For a man and a child to get married? But its there right to get married if they love each other!

Gay's are people too. They should have the same rights as everyone else.

An adult and a child getting married was not an uncommon thing a while back, but now this is not allowed. Do I agree with this? Yes, the mind of a child isn't able to comprehend what 'love' actually is. Infact, nowadays, not many people can. Hence the dying of so many marriages.

Maybe we should allow Horses and women to get married too huh?

How are the horses going to say "I do." ?
Quote by JC13
Pffft. You gotta be fucking with me!? Death penalty for all gays and beastialists!

. Nah, kidding with you. But it IS hilarious how they say they will put death upon men sleeping with other men, however, no punishment granted for women on womenhaha.

As much as I like to joke about stuff like the above, I'm against gay marriage, however. Sure, they could do everything that regular people do in a marriage, but if they called it something differently, nobody would really care. It's just the church's definition that is causing the st00f.

I often disagree with you, but I must say, I do like the way you present your arguments.

then why do you disapprove of it if you only believe the whole idea is based around the name?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.