I'm looking to buy a new Fender American Vintage Series 62 Strat Reissue. So far the best prices I have found for them are around $1470 USD at musicians friend and around $3480 AUD at Billy hyde music in Austalia. I understand that there has to be a general mark up- Guitar made in America> Shipped to Australia (Shipping and insurance fees)>Comes to the store and generally about 35% mark up from cost. Right now the exchange rate for those of you who dont know is about $1 AUD= 96.7¢ USD.

Can someone please tell me why all that adds up to the price here being TWICE WHAT IT IS IN THE STATES?????!!!!
Kangaroos give it a rigorous playtest before it is stocked.

But seriously, I'm curious about this as well. My guitar budget is about $700. I can buy a JS30RR in Australia, or a RR3 in the US. It's ridiculous.
I would hate to live on Australia if i played guitar. No wonder Angus got a knock off sg
yeh it is ridiculous, but there is also the fact of import tax i think. I decided to buy a guitar from the US for $1286 because it was so much cheaper, but with the cost of shipping, and import tax it was another $500. Then another $100 for california sales tax. So it went up to $1886. This was a gothic II explorer and you can get a 76 explorer here for $1850 from kosmic sound. Im not sure what the gothic explorers were selling for here, but it wouldnt be far from around $100 more then the 76 epxlorer, so about $1950. So if i did order from the US i would have only saved under $100 and i wouldnt have gotten a warranty etc.

Its all about the damn import taxes. So i think thats why all our guitars are expensive here. Though, if your buying a guitar from overseas for less then $1000AUD, then u dont have to pay import tax (you only have to pay if its over $1000AUD), and buying the guitar from the US is waaaaay cheaper then buying it here.

For over $1000AUD, I think import tax is 5% of the value of the product, then 10% GST of the value+shipping. Then you pay some registration fees when you declare to ship it in. It all adds up.
The reason it's so expensive is due to Australian stores buying guitars from a middle man. US shops get the guitars straight from the company. The middle man means there's an extra cost involved.

There's a thread on Bmusic forums about this. The owner of Bmusic explained why our prices are higher than in the US.
Quote by robert_says
yeh it is ridiculous, but there is also the fact of import tax i think. I decided to buy a guitar from the US for $1286 because it was so much cheaper, but with the cost of shipping, and import tax it was another $500. Then another $100 for california sales tax. So it went up to $1886. This was a gothic II explorer and you can get a 76 explorer here for $1850 from kosmic sound. Im not sure what the gothic explorers were selling for here, but it wouldnt be far from around $100 more then the 76 epxlorer, so about $1950. So if i did order from the US i would have only saved under $100 and i wouldnt have gotten a warranty etc.

Its all about the damn import taxes. So i think thats why all our guitars are expensive here. Though, if your buying a guitar from overseas for less then $1000AUD, then u dont have to pay import tax (you only have to pay if its over $1000AUD), and buying the guitar from the US is waaaaay cheaper then buying it here.

For over $1000AUD, I think import tax is 5% of the value of the product, then 10% GST of the value+shipping. Then you pay some registration fees when you declare to ship it in. It all adds up.

Australia and the US have a free trade agreement. This means no Import tax. there is still GST which is only applied sometimes and thats 10% but no import tax.
Quote by guy_tebache
Australia and the US have a free trade agreement. This means no Import tax. there is still GST which is only applied sometimes and thats 10% but no import tax.

I dont think that applies overall on everything.

my email to customs,

"Hi there, I wish to import a $1280 guitar from the US to Australia. I was hoping that you could maybe give me an estimation of the import tax and duty. The shipping for the guitar is roughly $200 if that needs to be known."

customs response,

"In response, the guitar will attract 5% duty on value and 10% GST on the combined amounts of value, duty, international freight and insurance. There will also be processing fees and these will vary depending on method of shipment and who is lodging the formal entry of the guitar through Australian Customs."
Economies of scale - Australia is a much smaller market and also the cost of supplying is much higher, therefore the retail price reflects that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Economies of scale - Australia is a much smaller market and also the cost of supplying is much higher, therefore the retail price reflects that.

Thats a good point. I hadn't thought of that
The bird is correct. The shipping from china to the US is pretty low, but think of the volume of this shipping traffic. The distance from china to the US or US to AUS is not much different. But how many ships form china enter US ports each day and how many ships from US enter AUS ports each day. With amps a whole new problem is the different electric used. Its a small market to make special amps for. How many electric guitar amps are sold in the states versus how many are sold in AUS. The 5% duty and 10%GST dont help any.