Ok, clearly the Pit isn't the best place to be asking this (emasculating) question...

but a (girl) friend of mine straightened my hair today, and I liked it quite a bit better. My hair isn't really that curly, just kind of wavy, but I think I prefer it straight after seeing it that way.

However, I'm trying to grow my hair out long (and healthy), and obviously straight irons aren't the best thing for the well-being of your hair.

Despite that, though, many girls I know (who have long hair) straighten their hair (some on a regular basis) and seem to do just fine.

Is it really all that bad for your hair? Can I do it without it ruining my hair or making the process of growing out my hair even slower?

And in before "NOGIRLSONTEHINTERNETS/UG"

EDIT: I would hypothetically be using a really nice flat iron.
i'm a guy and i've never straightened my hair but i can't imagine anything would be dangerous about it. my friend (who is a guy) has straightened his hair and as far as i know it doesn't damage your hair.

but what the hell do i know.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
it does dry it out and isnt really good for it.

just try to do it not very often and use conditioner when you wash your hair and you should be alright
------------------------------------------------------------------

im a girl, dont call me 'he'

Quote by aznmetalhead93
I used to think Eddie Van Halen was a vampire.
It burns it.But everybody does it sooo meh what the hell.
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
My ex straightens her hair every morning.
Shes fine..
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

i know girls that straighten their hair every day with no problems. i would just go ahead and do it, but if you ever feel like something is going wrong then stop.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
use a ghd and straightening spray. i straighten mine every single day and i have no split ends and my hair isnt dry and broken.

but if you dont condition it regularly it probably will get all gross and dry. you could try leave in conditioner, put it in after its straightened
Its Complicated
this time i think it might be
Triangulated
i used to straighten my hair all the time. its not really bad for it as long as you wash your hair everyday and use conditioner. use a good conditioner! and its better if you use a good straightener too.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Quote by mlogans91
You shouldn't let girls touch your hair. You'll get AIDS.

As long as you use a good flat iron, I think you should be fine. I spent really good money on the one I have. You should get one that can straighten it even when your hair is wet.
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
Use some heat protection spray/cream or something like that
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
If you do straighten it, use a protective spray to help prevent heat damage. Oh, and it's going to be a huge pain in the ass after a few months. I straightened my hair the entire school year, and trust me, it puts a pressure on you. Just think about it before doing anything.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Thanks for all the help.

The straightener I'd be using is a Chi, and I'll look for some spray or leave-in conditioner like you've guys have said. All I have right now is Chi oil, but I don't even know what it does. Anyone know?

How often is too often? I was thinking every other, other day. So at least two days in between. Maybe more.
Don't do it everyday. If you do it good enough, it should last a few days until you have to straighten it again
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
don't straighten it while it's wet, you'll **** it up bad. Happened to my friend and he ended up shaving his head and his hair was almost to the middle of his back.. so yeah there's my 2 cents
Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine.
We go drinking from time to time.
Youl be fine, stop being such a sissy
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

I used to do it and you can get a heat protection spray. Also, washing and conditioning your hair often as well as using a leave in conditioner when it's not straight helps alot.
i tried a straightening iron... never chemical... i found myself wearing a lot of hats cuz my long hair got in the way... then mister clipper found his way through my hair. i still wear hats but now i keep that bitch down at the #2 setting
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
It's not as harmful.

Just don't do it when your hair is immediately wet, as that will REALLY fry it. The water gets forcefully pulled out of your hair because of the heat in the iron.

You shouldn't do it every day either. But it's not bad if you do it every couple of showers or so.
xxx

Let the bodies hit the floor.