Page 1 of 2
We get well water, not city water.

I complained to my grandpa the other day about our water tasting fishy and having stuff floating in it (it did) and recommended getting a filter for the sink.

Instead, he decided to use and old-timey remedy and pour a gallon of bleach into our well.

Now my glass of water smells like it came from a pool. Is this safe to drink? Could it give me cancer/poison me/cause internal damage? Should I not drink our water anymore?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
In small and diluted concentrations it shouldn't be a worry really.

Although my housemate decided to do the washing up with pine scented bleach. I started to drink from a glass, smelt it, stood up walked across the room, slapped him, and frogmarched him back to the kitchen. This was followed by supervised rewashing of dishes with fairy liquid.
Your grandfather sounds nuts

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
bleach=bad
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
cant kill you but i wouldnt drink it cuz having the ****s sucks
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
dont drink it dude... that was the stupidest idea your grandpa has prolly ever had
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

its a communist agenda, don't drink it,
sorry i just got done watching Dr. Strangelove, great movie

it would prolly be safe-ish, just for safe measure I would say no though
You are now blinking manually
Drink it.. It's extremely diluted and I'd be more worried about "city water."
sup?
Don't drink it. Srsly. Drink other things.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by ldl67
Drink it.. It's extremely diluted and I'd be more worried about "city water."

He's telling me the same thing, but the smell is really putting me off.

Not to mention the fact that I took a really yellow piss, left it, came back and the water had cleared itself.

0_o

Now that I think about it though, this smells just like city water.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Well just make sure if you boil it that the bleach doesn't get to concentrated otherwise you'll go blind.

Oh and make sure he doesn't have any bright ideas to pour ammonia into the well aswell.

I just found this:
http://www.doh.wa.gov/phepr/handbook/purify.htm

I guess you can purify drinking water with some types of bleach. Read at the bottom, if he put a bit of liquid chlorine bleach in the water it should be fine to drink.
Last edited by SuperiorToYou at Jul 25, 2008,
i'd say dont drink it.

If you can still smell the bleach then surely it must be too concentrated. Wait a while until you can't smell it anymore
I have awesome hair
Quote by dudetheman

Not to mention the fact that I took a really yellow piss, left it, came back and the water had cleared itself.

Are you sure no one flushed the toilet? :P
sup?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Your grandfather sounds nuts

Indeed he does.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
after reading the title, i thought "theres a song in that"
but i wouldn't risk drinking it, you could try water purification tablets although i have no idea what they acctually can do (other than get rid of dangerous bacteria and stuff)
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by ldl67
Are you sure no one flushed the toilet? :P

Someone did what to the toilet?

Nah, no one flushed it. However, my grandpa has also been known to pour bleach into the toilets to get rid of the rings, so that might be what happened there.

And I think I'll wait until the smell is gone. I just traded my glass of water for Seven Up, and tomorrow I'll hijack some of my neighbor's water with an old milk jug. Their water tastes really good!

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by moody git
but i wouldn't risk drinking it, you could try water purification tablets although i have no idea what they acctually can do (other than get rid of dangerous bacteria and stuff)

Hmm.. they kill bacteria... maybe bleach?

Nah, I wouldn't do that, bleach isn't bacteria, it would just be adding more dangerous chemicals to your water.
sup?
Quote by moody git

Water purification tablets often contain hypochlorites, which is also what chlorine is present as in bleach, unless it's oxygen bleach (hydrogen peroxide). The bleach will break down after a little while. And all water purification really does is kill pathogens.
It's called "flavor". Don't be such a wimp.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Oh boy, sounds like your gramps is going senile. One time when I was in high school my grandpa was supposed to pick me up from school, I waited forever before he got there. Turns out he was waiting at my elementary school for an hour and was wondering where the hell I was. That's when we knew it was time to put his ass in a retirement home. Putting bleach in your water supply and claiming it's an "old-remedy" might be your family's sign..
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by dudetheman
He's telling me the same thing, but the smell is really putting me off.

0_o

Now that I think about it though, this smells just like city water.

Well god damn, drink something at least.
Quote by stinger12345
Oh boy, sounds like your gramps is going senile. One time when I was in high school my grandpa was supposed to pick me up from school, I waited forever before he got there. Turns out he was waiting at my elementary school for an hour and was wondering where the hell I was. That's when we knew it was time to put his ass in a retirement home. Putting bleach in your water supply and claiming it's an "old-remedy" might be your family's sign..

Nah, he's not going senile. He's only in his early 60's and he has a lot more common sense than I do at times.

I googled it and apparently it's a fairly common way to purify cloudy drinking water (which is what we had). I just thought the taste was kind of odd and was wondering if it could hurt me.

Besides, we don't put our family members into nursing homes. My entire family has worked in the nursing field, and after the stories I've heard, I wouldn't put a family member into a home for any reason. We take care of the old people in our family just like they took care of us. To be honest, even though you said it with good intentions, your statement kind of offended me. I wouldn't be able to look my grandpa in the face if I put him in a home, no matter how senile he had gotten.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
... You sound like you're living in medieval times if I'm honest.

Want to have sex with animals next?

Seriously though, I wouldn't drink that, more because of the fishy smell, and the stuff in it than the bleach. If something like that is happening it means there's something contaminating your water. If it's one of those crazy old wells, that are open top maybe a bird dropped a fish in it. Maybe that fish has diseases? Maybe you're going to catch these diseases? Maybe you're going to die? Maybe your family is going to die? Maybe I'm going to die? Maybe my family is going to die? OH LORD, NO!

I think I'm done.
Quote by Calabur
... You sound like you're living in medieval times if I'm honest.

Want to have sex with animals next?

Seriously though, I wouldn't drink that, more because of the fishy smell, and the stuff in it than the bleach. If something like that is happening it means there's something contaminating your water. If it's one of those crazy old wells, that are open top maybe a bird dropped a fish in it. Maybe that fish has diseases? Maybe you're going to catch these diseases? Maybe you're going to die? Maybe your family is going to die? Maybe I'm going to die? Maybe my family is going to die? OH LORD, NO!

I think I'm done.

Medieval people have sex with animals? You need to retake history, methinks.

No, I just live in a really rural area. Our well is closed-top, so a bird didn't drop a fish in it.

I don't know why it smelled fishy and contained particulates, but I'm buying a Brita filter tomorrow, so chill out.

You think having a well sounds medieval? I've lived in much worse conditions than this. Hell, in our old house our tap water would run red with mud whenever it rained.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman
You think having a well sounds medieval? I've lived in much worse conditions than this. Hell, in our old house our tap water would run red with the blood of virgins whenever SOADrox429 got angry.

Fixed.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by dudetheman
Medieval people have sex with animals? You need to retake history, methinks.

Actually, YOU need to retake history. There are accounts of zoophilia in medieval Europe.

EDIT: And then there's all the zoophilia in Ancient Roman times, Asia...
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by clincher09
It's called "flavor". Don't be such a wimp.

badass.

i'm sure it's ok TS, but you might wanna avoid it for a couple days just to ease your mind hehe.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Tap water here can sometimes smell "fishy", never really bad though. I've never ever had any problems. I wouldn't drink it after what your granddad did though.
Quote by Jackolas
Tap water here can sometimes smell "BRITISH", never really bad though. I've never ever had any problems. I wouldn't drink it after what your granddad did though.

Corrected - cause we have the best tap water in the world!
Quote by JackalUK
Corrected - cause we have the best tap water in the world!

It's probably true you know.

I wouldn't drink the water outside of the UK. Mainly because I wouldn't be used to it.
I always think tap water tastes ****ty from pretty much everywhere except where I live, haha. Probably just cause I'm used to it or something. Actually it tasted okay in Belfast when I was there last week...
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
a white tounge would be cool
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
i would not drink it.

your grnadpa shouldnt have added bleach until it was filtered and particles removed.

the chlorine in the bleach could react with any particles and cause a carsinogenic to form.

its stated on wikipedia and i know its true cos i also studied water purification in the environmental chemistry topic.

from wikipedia:

"Chlorination- The most common disinfection method is some form of chlorine or its compounds such as chloramine or chlorine dioxide. Chlorine is a strong oxidant that rapidly kills many harmful micro-organisms. Because chlorine is a toxic gas, there is a danger of a release associated with its use. This problem is avoided by the use of sodium hypochlorite, which is a relatively inexpensive solution that releases free chlorine when dissolved in water. Chlorine solutions can be generated on site by electrolyzing common salt solutions. A solid form , calcium hypochlorite exists that releases chlorine on contact with water. Handling the solid, however, requires greater routine human contact through opening bags and pouring than the use of gas cylinders or bleach which are more easily automated. The generation of liquid sodium hypochlorite is both inexpensive and safer than the use of gas or solid chlorine. All forms of chlorine are widely used despite their respective drawbacks. One drawback is that chlorine from any source reacts with natural organic compounds in the water to form potentially harmful chemical by-products trihalomethanes (THMs) and haloacetic acids (HAAs), both of which are carcinogenic in large quantities and regulated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The formation of THMs and haloacetic acids may be minimized by effective removal of as many organics from the water as possible prior to chlorine addition. Although chlorine is effective in killing bacteria, it has limited effectiveness against protozoans that form cysts in water (Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium, both of which are pathogenic). "

hope that settles it.
Page 1 of 2