i bought a new tuner the Boss Tuner&Metronome TU-80.... and i have no idea how to use it... the instructions were vague.. anyway i wanted to know what some of the icons mean..

so 1st what is Hz? mine is set to 440. and also i get to switch from single to double to triple to.... 5 notes.. and from triple to double etc.. what do they do?

and for my strings... whenever i hold a string on the higher frets (1st - 9th) i can hear the strings vibrate of the fret dividers.... and i also hold them down tight.. is there something wrong with my guitar?
Last edited by iRKOu at Jul 25, 2008,
440hz is standard tuning, it refers to the frequency the A string vibrates at or something.

Take a photo of the tuner, it'll be easier to figure out if we can see it
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
ok i couldnt get really good pictures but i hope this can help

theres 4 notes in that picture (at 1st i thought it was 4 "b's")

a picture of the screen. i circled where the notes appear
Right the pics don't really help but the tuner looks like a pretty simple one. When you turn it on it should be set to standard tuning. You just turn the machine heads until it registers as a note. The 1st string (the thinnest one) should be tuned to E5, the 2nd string to B4, the 3rd string to G4, the 4th string to D4, the 5th string to A3 and the 6th string to E3. The number next to each letter tells you which octave of that note it's tuned to, because there are lots. Sorted.

Now, the single/double notes part refers to the metronome. It lets you choose how many notes will be played in the space of one beat, and in what style they will be played.

Hope this helps
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
ahh ok thanks, so basically, i would want single note to tune my guitar? thanks for the help