I'm trying to understand what breakdowns are, can someone give me an example of a good breakdown? I heard Master Of Puppets has one, but which part of the song is it? Thanks guys
About 3.5 minutes in to MoP is the breakdown. Also, dream theater's 'Honour Thy Father has one, 5 miinutes in
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
Its an instrumental section (usually) and It focuses mainly on driving the song forward , the ending of 'Domination' by Pantera is a breakdown
There's quite a few types of breakdowns. In heavy metal specifically, a breakdown is usually where the drummer plays half time and the guitarists repeatedly play the same powerchord or a 'groovy' (as in groove metal/metalcore) riff. If you look to some subgenres like metalcore and groove metal you'll find plenty of examples.

IMO that part in MoP would be a bridge section, not a breakdown. A classy example of a breakdown is around 2:10 in Slayer's Raining Blood.

PS. This is songwriting. Not an advanced technique. This place has a songwriting subforum. It's right around the corner
listen to some bring me the horizon, they have breakdowns in most of their songs if not all, and a break down is most open e string but it makes you wanna mosh cause it sounds heavy, you can also go to youtube and type in top 10 breakdowns cause ppl make vids of thier fav breakdowns, hope that helps
Quote by slayerfrk
listen to some bring me the horizon, they have breakdowns in most of their songs if not all, and a break down is most open e string but it makes you wanna mosh cause it sounds heavy, you can also go to youtube and type in top 10 breakdowns cause ppl make vids of thier fav breakdowns, hope that helps

This is true. Breakdowns are very common in hardcore. I'm not surprised almost every song has one. Metal breakdowns are usually a bit more technical however. As said above, Dream Theater's Honor Thy Father is a good example of that.
I think there is one in Machine Head's Aesthetics of Hate which leads to the solo. It's not quite original but the usage is pretty tasty
I really don't get the importance of breakdowns in hardcore style music. Why are they in almost every song and what is so appealing about them?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Would Angel of Death and Raining Blood qualify? Or are those more like bridges than breakdowns?

I can't remember Angel of Death but Raining Blood definitely has a breakdown, just after the intro riff comes in for the second time; the low repeated Eb powerchords is basically the most basic breakdown you can have.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by BrockTandem
I really don't get the importance of breakdowns in hardcore style music. Why are they in almost every song and what is so appealing about them?

It's part of the genre, like power metal sounds kind of epic, viking metal is about vikings and 'vikingy' vocals.
Quote by BrockTandem

its the part where the band and the fans go ****ing crazy and mosh and stuff and the band head bangs and stuff
2:57 in Metallica's Battery is a good breakdown that actually has a riff over it rather than just powerchords. UnderOath's "Everyone Looks So Good From Here" has a breakdown from 1:08 to 1:19 that's repeated a couple of times, and 1:41-1:53 is another good example. Quite a few BTBAM songs have breakdowns. Dream Theater's Honour Thy Father was already mentioned, and that's definitely a good example.
Breakdowns have a weird umbrella term. If you want heavy metal exclusivley, you wont find too many that everyone considers breakdowns.

My term of breakdowns is like the Death/hardcore definition. triplets/quintuplets of a open powerchord on beat 1, let the drummer carry out beats 2 and 3 for measures 1 and 2, and on 3, carry out your picking over beats 1 and 2.

good breakdowns, the guillotine b escape the fate, hester prynne by As blood runs black. I also consider Nocturnal and Miasma by Black Dahlia Murder to have AMAZING breakdowns, only they dont follow the rule i kinda set above.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
A good breakdown is No Pity For A Coward by Suicide Silence. It still has the guitar chugging away and the bass drum following it then the second guitar adds some sweeps in underneath and it sounds pretty badass.
1st - **** Bring Me The Horizon
2nd - Breakdowns now a days are way too typical
3rd - Listen to any band that is under death metal/hardcore now a days, there will bea breakdown.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I can't remember Angel of Death but Raining Blood definitely has a breakdown, just after the intro riff comes in for the second time; the low repeated Eb powerchords is basically the most basic breakdown you can have.

Meh, yeah, Angel of Death is more of a bridge than a breakdown.
Quote by ugg im kyle
1st - **** Bring Me The Horizon
2nd - Breakdowns now a days are way too typical
3rd - Listen to any band that is under death metal/hardcore now a days, there will bea breakdown.

listen to Black Dahlia Murder. they dont break it down too much.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
the word 'breakdown' pisses me off sometimes.

But I must admit, I really like going to hardcore shows.

I've seen parkway drive a couple of times, and I must say that when you're in the mood, a breakdown is definitely some pretty awesome stuff.
The end of Crazy Train is a breakdown sort of.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
About 3:36 into the song "Remains of the Day" by Mendeed is a pretty good breakdown.
"Trapped Inside This Octavarium"
Breakdowns are like the slower heavier part of the metal song which pushes the focus a little bit more towards the drums. It typically makes me wanna headbang and punch people in the face. Some good examples are found in a lot of groove metal (IE Exhorder, Pantera) Death Metal (Behemoth, Morbid Angel) and some thrash (Megadeth does it sometimes and same with Slayer)
Listen to some metalcore songs, you'll be bound to find a breakdown in there.
Quote by mattj2192
Death Metal (Behemoth, Morbid Angel)

Not so much; most death metal fans wretch at the idea of a breakdown, it's mainly the province of hardcore, metalcore and deathcore.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
For everyone suggesting Metallica, they don't really do breakdowns... you're confusing a bridge with a breakdown. If you want to hear breakdowns just listen to some metalcore! There is honestly competition in the genre to include as many breakdowns as possible. In general: you'll basically recognize a breakdown by the drummer hitting the cymbal on every beat, the lead/rythmn guitarists playing a very chunky repetitive palm muted rythmn that matches up with a repetive double bass hit that the drummer is giving them, and the lead singer sometimers repeating a catchy growling line over top.
what are you tlaking about? I am a noob please dont confuse me with big words liek that.
Adding to Dream theater's Breakdowns. You could say This Dying Soul & The Glass Prison (both share the same riff) have breakdowns in them.

Listen to the Glass Prison @ 5:58. Pretty simple. Just two powerchords with some variations.