hi guys doing a refinishing job and was wondering in what order do you take apart a guitar?

thanks!
"I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked" - Jimi Hendrix
strings first. .
and the rest depends on what guitar..
but doesn't really matter i don't think.
Gear:
Fender Strat American Deluxe,
Halfsize Custom Electro-acoustic
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano
Yamaha Keyboard
strings, pickguard, pups, all other pots, bridge, neck, machine heads.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
I just pull it apart as I get to it. I'll usually try to keep the entire wiring harness intact, so that comes out together. Apart from that, I don't usually care.
Quote by jscustomguitars
Leave the strings on at full tension then un-bolt the neck

Thats the REAL way to do it. I have the bruises to prove it.
Quote by jscustomguitars

+1 to ass-hattery
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by jscustomguitars

Believe it or not, last week I was watching "Antiques Roadshow" on TV and a lady had brought in a '59 Stratocaster and Fender amp. The appraiser (who of course claimed to know a lot about guitars) unbolted the neck with the strings still tight. Thank God nothing bad happened to that beautiful guitar!
Quote by cedricsmods
Believe it or not, last week I was watching "Antiques Roadshow" on TV and a lady had brought in a '59 Stratocaster and Fender amp. The appraiser (who of course claimed to know a lot about guitars) unbolted the neck with the strings still tight. Thank God nothing bad happened to that beautiful guitar!

Antiques Roadshow? You fag.

just kidding!

He doesn't know dick all about guitars lol... wow.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
hahaha! Well some of us here on UG are actually grown-ups and like finding out how much old junk is worth. Every time I've watched that show I've hoped to see sweet old guitars, and when I finally did it was sickening.
btw, if anyone is curious, they said it was worth about 20,000 USD.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by cedricsmods
hahaha! Well some of us here on UG are actually grown-ups and like finding out how much old junk is worth. Every time I've watched that show I've hoped to see sweet old guitars, and when I finally did it was sickening.
btw, if anyone is curious, they said it was worth about 20,000 USD.

I just watched that. I was scared pants-less when the guy started unscrewing the neck-plate, but either the strings weren't at full tension, or that guy has an UBER-strong grip.
Sorry but... men watching antiques roadshow reminds of the episode of Frasier where they have this antique clock thingy that is worth a bunch of money. But it turns out one of their relatives, who was a prostitute, stole it from Russian royalty.

needless to say I lol'd.

(your thread has been successfully jacked)
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.