And I know its a similar instrument to the Electric Bass...
Does anyone here play? Is it worth it? I really want to start
Also. Are they expensive?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

The TalkBass forums have a section on DoubleBasses and UEB, you'd be best to ask there.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
My girl plays cello, hers was about £2500. That's a mid ranged one too.

My drummer used to play cello too. It gave him a good rooting to go into drums while still retaining tones :P

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I play cello. Its really fun to play, but it'll feel awkward at first after playing electric bass, as it takes more force to push down the strings, and as always with fretless instruments theres the problem of intonation. They are expensive, but you could pick up a fairly cheap one for around the £400 mark. Also, if you do eventually start to play the cello, you should try and learn the prelude from Bach's cello suite no.1, its great fun to play!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
arnt the strings on cello tuned fifths apart rather than the fourths apart on the guitar?
They're not all that similar in truth. The playing style is completely different and the tuning is completely different. I played cello and I didn't find it helped me with anything on the bass or vice versa.
Quote by fleajr_1412
Yes, its tuned CDGA.

don't you mean CGDA?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I don't think cello will help you in bass. But the more instruments you can play the more musically smarter get.
Quote by ThatGuy177
I don't think cello will help you in bass. But the more instruments you can play the more musically smarter get.

and being musically smarter won't help you play bass.

right.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
i used to play cello at school, i still have mine but i just dont haven't felt like pulling it out recently.(no puns intended). my parents bought my cello and it was about $1000 usd. thats the cost of a lower level cello. then there was the bow, that was another 150 usd. again low level. and the strings! god forbid you break that damn a string. 12 usd for a single string.

i think i stopped playing because of all the cost.
So, goin’ down the Amazon in a light green ’57 Chevy, uh. Well, you think that’s, um, kind of heavy?