http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-IJXB190-Electric-Bass-Jumpstart-Pack-519527-i1168529.gc

I'm pretty much sold on this, and I'm going to purchase it as soon as I get home (I'm currently in Amsterdam) because it looks like it would be a great beginner bass. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also... What color? Red or Black? I'm torn between these two.
Last edited by DrPants PhD at Jul 25, 2008,
Fantastic starter pack, I've never played that actual bass, but I've played the next model up from it and it was fantastic.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
You might want to buy a new cable, the cable that comes with it are terrible - thin, weak and will break soon. Nothing sucks harder than getting your new bass, your cable breaking, and no back ups! Then you have to go all the way to the shop again.

The pack looks good, its got everything you'll need to get started! You might want to try the Squier (Fender) starter pack too, and the peavy one, see which bass you prefer the feel of, or even, just the colours.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I have... too many cables. I think I'm fine

My friend had the Squier, and he didn't like it, and he told me not to get it. The pickups aren't as good as the Ibanez.
The Peavey looks nice, I've heard many good things about it. But again, pickups don't look as good as the Ibanez ones. but I could be wrong.

There's also this:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-All-Access-Bass-Pack-515767-i1372736.gc
If I'm willing to spend $100 more. But I think I should get the Ibanez.
looks good however it has just 22 frets ...something that you may want to think about...
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Thunderbirds and Epiphone in general is complete and utter rubbish. Shoddy craftsmanship, horrible, muddy tone, neckdive, thefitz can clear up the rest. I wouldn't recommend a Thunderbird, but by all means if it gets the tone you like and you like the feel of it, get it.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by AiC
looks good however it has just 22 frets ...something that you may want to think about...

I don't think that'll be a problem for me (I hope), I'm just a beginner.

Quote by fleajr_1412
Thunderbirds and Epiphone in general is complete and utter rubbish. Shoddy craftsmanship, horrible, muddy tone, neckdive, thefitz can clear up the rest. I wouldn't recommend a Thunderbird, but by all means if it gets the tone you like and you like the feel of it, get it.

Thanks for the input. My friend had an epiphone thunderbird bass (well, it was his churches, but it was at his house for about 2 years) and it was an alright bass. A bit heavy though.
Quote by AiC

So? Most Fender style, and indeed most low priced basses have 22 or 21 frets (or less). 24 fretted instruments really don't give you much more, and 90% of your playing will be done below the 12th fret when you're learning anyhow... wait, even when you've learned. Look up a few bass tabs. Unusual to see more than just the odd run or fill anywhere past the 14th.

I never saw the big deal about having 24 frets.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I also forgot to ask... Which color? They're both good to me... but I'm leaning more towards the red.
I always like the black, but go with what you like

Quote by AiC

So... my Stingray has 22 frets, are you saying that makes it bad?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Ibanez make solid starter packs as does Squier. Avoid Epiphone as everyone has said, but if you are looking for other options, check out the FAQ.

Squier's rep tends to be less than idea in the guitar side of the block, but their bass starter packs are decent enough.

And choose the colour you like--personally I've always liked the blue or the black Ibanez in your selection.
that a nice bass
but squier dont suck compared to that one
squier(affinity series) can be solid basses, but you have to try a few, i have found a squier affinity p bass in my local store that played as good as the MIMs they have, i was amazed but with no money
also no big deal with "just" 22 frets
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
to be honest, i dont think you can go wrong with any starter bass as long as its not made out of ply wood and the pickups are worth 5 quid.

Looks good
The gsr is a pretty good bass,
but the amp sucks!

Why not get the gsr bass and another amp for what you have left till the 270 pounds?
You can probably get the back etc. for free then?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I don't know, I'd like all the stuff that comes with the value pack. Maybe when I get better I'll think of getting a new amp (and a better bass).