I was wondering whether it's worth it to have my Line6 Spider III 150 watt expanded with a cabinet (any cabinet possible on 8ohms). But before I go out and buy stuff I want to know a few things.

- Is it possible to use my amps speakers ánd the cabinet's?

- My amp is a combo, but it has 2 outputs at the back of the builtin head that are on 8 ohms, is a cabinet technically connectable to this?

- All in all, does it sound much better to ditch the amp and get a new one? I kind of like it really, but the distortion sound on it sounds rather crap. I use 3 boss pedals (MD2, MT2 and Metalcore distortion pedal) to get some wicked distortion and it works good enough for me.

- Any cabinets recommended if it is possible to connect one to my amp? My price range is quite low ( €0 - €500 :P ).

Looking forward to replies, I've gotten them quite fast in the past. I so enjoy this forum lol, not even mentioning The Pit :P .

\m/\m/

**edit**
I don't use those 3 pedals at the same time obviously :P
Rock on..without hesitation
Quote by DenBloom
Is it possible to use my amps speakers ánd the cabinet's?

For every amp that I have seen, the jack that goes out for an external speaker runs parallel with the speaker in your amp (meaning it will go through both). So, yes.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Jul 25, 2008,
Thank you for clearing that up, the guy before you said something in Dutch telling me to get a new amp.. This I might consider the coming year, IF I get the money..

Any recommendations for a decent amp with a pricerange of €300-€700 ? I would LOVE a Marshall, but not an MG lol..

Thanks again for your replies
Quote by DenBloom
All in all, does it sound much better to ditch the amp and get a new one? I kind of like it really, but the distortion sound on it sounds rather crap. I use 3 boss pedals (MD2, MT2 and Metalcore distortion pedal) to get some wicked distortion and it works good enough for me.

Yes you should ditch the amp....and the petals.... Get a nice Tube Combo.

Oh and by the way....(Yes I have to be a bitch) Congratulations on achieving some of the wost tones possible with your current setup.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Oh and by the way....(Yes I have to be a bitch) Congratulations on achieving some of the wost tones possible with your current setup.

Says the guy with a Crate.

See? Everyone can be a dick, next time choose not to.

To the OP: I would suggest investing in a better quality amp before putting money into a cab. Check out some of the other threads on the board about good lower-cost tube amps. A good tube amp with quality pedals will give you much better tone than you have now, even with a cab (IMO).

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Jul 25, 2008,
SELL EVERYTHING!!! Then find out what your new budget would be for a good amp. You very well mayb be able to get something really kickass with the money you have+ the money you will have if you sell everything.

Quote by apollo66

You have a subpar Fender tube amp. Don't talk crap about Crate. Yes, they have terrible stuff, but the V series and Vintage Club series are really amazing amps. I would take that guys V8 over your blues deluxe any day.

PS. I have a Super Reverb and a Crate V16 so I know what I'm talking about I think.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by apollo66
Says the guy with a Crate..

...Have you heard the Crate V series?

Thought not.

Anyway TS, I'd personally save for something nicer as opposed to attempting to make some mediocre gear sound good.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You have a subpar Fender tube amp.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by Yngwi3

Anyway TS, I'd personally save for something nicer as opposed to attempting to make some mediocre gear sound good.

I would as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.

phai1
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Might want to fix the quote ^

Nevermind. I phail.

no no no
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
I sure hope you're not using all 3 of those pedals at once because that, plus a spider has to be the worst sound ever in the existence of man.

Please, for the love of god, buy yourself a good amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by apollo66

Crate V series > every other Crate

...by quite a large margin.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Lol, thanks for the replies.. finally made it home, plugged it in and still hate the distortion I get out of the Line 6 amp.. I'll give it one more year before ditching it so I can cash up BIG TIME and get a (in you guys' opinion) amazing amp :P

Another question for the new amp thought:

- Combo or head + cabinets?
There's a trade off there that's often overlooked. A good combo can sound fantastic, but can also weigh a ton. A head and cab can be moved in two lighter pieces and give you more tonal options when it comes to cab selection...but at an additional cost.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by DenBloom
Combo or head + cabinets?
Combo, but Kendall's post is true.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Honestly, I'd much rather have a Head + 2x12 cab instead of a Combo because of the ability to change out the cab. With a combo, you can change the speaker, but the dimensions are still the same, giving you less tonal versatility.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Kendall
There's a trade off there that's often overlooked. A good combo can sound fantastic, but can also weigh a ton. A head and cab can be moved in two lighter pieces and give you more tonal options when it comes to cab selection...but at an additional cost.

I saw a guy who put wheels under a very heavy combo he brought to gigs, looked funny but well thought at the same time
Quote by DenBloom
I saw a guy who put wheels under a very heavy combo he brought to gigs, looked funny but well thought at the same time

You can do that, yes, but putting casters on any type of cab is going to make you lose some bass response and even tightness to the sound. Having it touch the ground is ideal but not always feasible if you're going to be moving it around a lot.

Plus you also run the risk of damaging the amp or losing resale value on it because of putting added casters onto it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
They were able to be taken off lol, so the solidness to the ground was still present... It looked really funny tbh
Quote by DenBloom

Another question for the new amp thought:
- Combo or head + cabinets?

How much you thinking of spending?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Well if I save up and keep the current amp for another year then sell it, we might be looking at around 1600 euros lol (i think that's about 2800 dollars)