i want to join this band and the guy asked me to make some recordings of me playing guitar. i've never recorded anything before. what is in your opinion the best way to showcase my skill?

i was thinking about these:
1. play along with a song and make my guitar slightly louder than the music
2. start guitar pro, disable the guitar part and play along then record it. won't have vocals.
3. play only the guitar part(s) of a song, no backing music. sounds a bit boring imo
4. create a simple song, guitar part(s) only or maybe with a backing track. i have no experience writing songs though
5. ??

atm im leaning towards #2, any opinions/suggestions are welcome!
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by Freepower
#1.

I would recommend writing some original material though. Won't be much of a showcase without it unless it's a cover band.

he wants to do a few covers then work on some own songs. i think it's a good thing to have when applying, but i don't have any experience songwriting. maybe this is a good time to start
Main gear
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by angl2k
he wants to do a few covers then work on some own songs. i think it's a good thing to have when applying, but i don't have any experience songwriting. maybe this is a good time to start

when does he expect to see something?
Quote by Fatty Sizzler
when does he expect to see something?

well, as soon as possible i suppose. but i'm leaving on vacation next friday so i dont have that much time (i work during daytime)
Main gear
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Last edited by angl2k at Jul 26, 2008,