What are the tokai rockinbetters like? I recently played a 2006 tokai p bass and wasnt impressed when comparing it to a mim p bass. I'm a huge fan of rickenbacker vintage sounds and if anyone has played them it would be nice to know how they sound and feel.

Cheers
Last edited by jewishfriend at Jul 25, 2008,
Don't. Go with what feels right.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Yeah ive played one before but the stupid dick at the shop would let me plug it into an amp :@, but it felt good, very chunky neck which i like.
Quote by vickers89
buy an ephiphone

why would i get an epiphone. The only epiphone i would get would be a hollow body, which right now im not interested in
I saw one of these in the Bass Cellar in Denmark Street, they acctualy had a sign up saying that it wasn't a Ric, took me a while to realise it said Rockinbetter.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by jewishfriend
why would i get an epiphone. The only epiphone i would get would be a hollow body, which right now im not interested in

well its personal preference for me, i just dont like Tokai - i think they feel cheap for some reason. I don't own one but have played guitars/basses by them and wasn't impressed

sorry
Quote by vickers89
well its personal preference for me, i just dont like Tokai - i think they feel cheap for some reason. I don't own one but have played guitars/basses by them and wasn't impressed

sorry

Do Epiphone even do a Ric copy?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by vickers89
no but i'm sure that they do something similar that will be of better quality than a tokai

Im confused epiphones solid body basses include an SG, Les Paul Goth thingy and thunderbird, none of them remotely come close to a vintage rickenbacker sound which i am looking for
I've played some fantastic Tokais. My old biology teacher used to swear by them, he preferred them to the real thing (he owned Strat, Tele and LP copies).

I've not played the Ric one but Tokai make great quality copies.

Edit: I doubt it would actually give you a classic Ric sound as they don't have maple bodies (I don't think anyway), it's more the look that they're copying rather than the tone.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Jul 25, 2008,
I played a tokai rockinbetter priced at £250, it was definately a solid instrument and well worth the money, it definately had a ric-esque sound to it. But obviously doesn't compare to a real rickenbacker.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
I played a tokai rockinbetter priced at £250, it was definately a solid instrument and well worth the money, it definately had a ric-esque sound to it. But obviously doesn't compare to a real rickenbacker.

Yeah i wouldnt have thought it would compare but i'm just looking for a cheaper alternative like a mex fender is to a usa fender
I love the look of the Ric, and I did not know they made copies of it.

Where could you order one of these from? Preferably from a store and not off Ebay or something like that.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
to be honest no where in the u.k, i have looked and cant seem to find anywhere, i do know they sell them in denmark st if thats near you, but they over price ridiculously
Quote by jewishfriend
to be honest no where in the u.k, i have looked and cant seem to find anywhere, i do know they sell them in denmark st if thats near you, but they over price ridiculously

Last time I looked Coda Music sold them and so did the Bass Centre.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Good luck finding a Rick copy. Rickenbacker have basically resurrected Torquemada to hunt down copies of their instruments, and burn anyone selling them at the stake.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Good luck finding a Rick copy. Rickenbacker have basically resurrected Torquemada to hunt down copies of their instruments, and burn anyone selling them at the stake.

Luckily for us, rics power over this extends to the US only as far as i'm aware.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2